Otters are very good at causing damage due to them being so agile and quick came across one while out lamping a few years ago not on purpose I might add but a lurcher that could kill tackle didn't kill it and was a mess after its tussle

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i in my bloody wisdom!!! when i come back home decided that a small village wasnt the place for a otter nearly 3 ft long so i gave her to a animal charity that looks after wild animals in the unders

just my 2p worth the only dog ive ever had killed in action was by a otter we were looking at mink traps and she slipped to ground she was a nice lal white sealyham from welshpool called taffy....th

I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in it's natural state but I live in hope. I've seen signs of them in Shropshire but again I never came face to face with one and I could never see the day whe

Posted Images

I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in it's natural state but I live in hope. I've seen signs of them in Shropshire but again I never came face to face with one and I could never see the day where I'd consider harming one.

Funny that, all these blood thirsty terriermen and not a one that would see any harm to an otter, perhaps the real people on the ground can see when an animal GENUINELY needs protection and admiration.

• Like 7

Saw one yesterday evening along the banks of a suffolk river heading it's way down towards a trout lake for it's tea,it didn't seem to able to read the Poachers will be prosecited sign it walk under :laugh: ,

• Like 2

I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in it's natural state but I live in hope. I've seen signs of them in Shropshire but again I never came face to face with one and I could never see the day where I'd consider harming one.

Funny that, all these blood thirsty terriermen and not a one that would see any harm to an otter, perhaps the real people on the ground can see when an animal GENUINELY needs protection and admiration.

They do not genuinely need protection. They are not rare nor endangered. In fact, they are a major pest for fishery owners causing thousands of pounds of damage.

• Like 2

The river next to me to the west of Glasgow has few of them dogs go mad for them me we beddy cross goes in the water after them pain in the ass then up at my caravan in argyll there's a lot of sea otters aswell getting like buzzards lol

I see them most weeks and have seen five in one morning.

I admire them as a predator but if they were still on the quarry list I wouldn't weep if I seen one accounted for.

IMO they are up there with Seals in that they are a very wasteful animal. They don't always kill for food and if a river is clear and in good condition it's amazing how much fish they can actually kill and leave to rot. I've seen a 7 and a half pound brown trout (a fish of a lifetime) killed and left to the crows. I know it's weight and it was 7 1/2 on the scales with the bite taken out of the back of it's head.

It's only when a river is muddy that they struggle and then they'll turn their attention to anything and that includes domestic fowl.

They're a beautiful proficient predator but IMO they're the same as a fox in the pest species.

• Like 1

We'll just have to disagree again JD, if I saw anyone tapping one they'd be having a tap straight after.

Well, disagree all you want. My opinion comes from years of experience; tracking, photographing and filming.

And I am certain you'd change your tune if they were costing you thousands each year.....I study otters alot, I know that despite looking like they've walked straight off a Disney Cartoon they are one of the most ruthless predators in the UK. The Enviroment Agency are swamped with people complaining about them.....

They are no different from badgers, they look great, but do alot of damage.

However, they are protected, and always will be, but I do feel sorry for fishery owners.....seeing their life's work being eaten away unless they spend tens of thousands on netting.

They are the most elusive mammal I have tried to study......

But, we've all got our own opinions I guess....... :victory:

• Like 4