Cmw:a Spotlight On The... Pure Saluki

One trick ponies? That's largely down to who owns them if they only out once or twice a week when the owner fancies a run on hare then that's what your going too end up with but raised right they usually learn too hunt for themselves and can and will catch allsorts with very little direction at the end of the day take away the breed they still a hunting bred dog with set of legs n lungs

The problem with the one trick pony types is they get bored the owner fails to fulfil the dogs desire to hunt and chase and the dog becomes bored amd withdrawn its short signted to write the breed off coz a few have failed to understand them and failed to get best out of them truth is they likely buy a new coursing dog every other season or even more often lol saluki can with right entering tackle most tasks n quarry day and night to varying degrees of sucess takes right dog and man to make it work like most things you get out what you put in

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to inform you but .one trick poneys they definatly are NOT!!   most of the time the faults are with the owners becouse they havnt a fkn clue how to deal with them

No one has EVER knocked the Saluki and its hybrids more than I..GUARANTEED!! I hated them with a passion,the ones I seen in years gone by were thick as pig shite,fine boned no good to me types of dogs

The saluki hybrid does me for what I want in a lurcher......I've not seen any other type of running dog that can even come close to a good saluki lurcher.......as near as damn it to an allrounder as y

im going back a few months now, but 1 day i was driving down this country lane on my way to my permission, coming towards me was this guy we a purebred, so i pulled over and got chatting to him leaving my dog in the car, i asked him if he worked it, yes he says its had a few bunnies, a bitch by the way 2 year old, a beautiful dog, i then asked if i could iontroduce my dog to his bitch, no probs he says, what a fantastic sight to behold, both running together in the open, i would render missen ginger to own that dog, i no i could do it proud

• Like 3

No one has EVER knocked the Saluki and its hybrids more than I..GUARANTEED!! I hated them with a passion,the ones I seen in years gone by were thick as pig shite,fine boned no good to me types of dogs.. As things transpired I ended up with a bitch which contained Saluki blood after my own non Saluki blooded dog covered a bitch which did,my mate owned the bitch and he wanted me to keep a pup and run it on so I did,she ain't no world beater but she's a fair animal I also have a young Saluki hybrid,feathered,ugly brute of an animal but this dog has certainly opened my eyes to what the Saluki can bring to the table,he ain't no one trick pony I assure you,he has taken EVERYTHING he will ferret,hunt like a foxhound,very obedient and he certainly ain't no plodder lol in fact far from it,I'm lucky I guess as I get the chance to work the dog at a multitude of tasks..digging with terriers,vermin drives,ferreting,rabbiting both day & night,stalking etc..I was hoodwinked into thinking they were only point and slip dogs for many years but take it from me they are pretty unique and mine at least is the most versatile running dog I've ever owned....go get one and see for yourself ?

• Like 10

Wouldn't give a saluki or a saluki rich lurcher house room imho they are shite one trick poneys all the ones I've seen need massive expanses to catch any thing no good round my neck of the woods ok on fen land but not what I would call a good lurcher

lee i once thought like you stupidly and like you i thought they were pish on anything other than the fens but when i seen what i think was a pure run and her take a fox s/h and then went on to do preban gear s/h on a hard terrain i knew i had underestimated them trust me there no one trick pony and they dont need big land either and from what the owner said she ran any land big or small and was committed has any dog and was a very good dog its just that she was a one man dog and was funny with certain dogs

• Like 1

well i have a saluki 1st x and hes far from a one trick anything,hes taken lots of everythin and some of things you wouldnt necessarily think of hunting,anyone who says that hasnt a clue i reckon

Marmite Dogs would be a good title for said article lol be interesting too see what gets written might even buy it that week

if you dont have time or patience dont have a saluki .or it will just get passed around like alot do .......

go for a budgy or a hamster , and you dont need to comb there ears :thumbs:

The saluki hybrid does me for what I want in a lurcher......I've not seen any other type of running dog that can even come close to a good saluki lurcher.......as near as damn it to an allrounder as you can get IMO.

Alot of it is down to the man behind the dog and how they are reared. The problem with lots of coursing bred dogs getting a bad image is that the dogs owner is far less loyal than their dog and dogs are constantly being sold and passed around and this type of dog (or any for that matter) does not do well in such situations. They like a steady, settled life. Don't we all.

One trick ponies? That's largely down to who owns them if they only out once or twice a week when the owner fancies a run on hare then that's what your going too end up with but raised right they usually learn too hunt for themselves and can and will catch allsorts with very little direction at the end of the day take away the breed they still a hunting bred dog with set of legs n lungs

The problem with the one trick pony types is they get bored the owner fails to fulfil the dogs desire to hunt and chase and the dog becomes bored amd withdrawn its short signted to write the breed off coz a few have failed to understand them and failed to get best out of them truth is they likely buy a new coursing dog every other season or even more often lol saluki can with right entering tackle most tasks n quarry day and night to varying degrees of sucess takes right dog and man to make it work like most things you get out what you put in

im going back a few months now, but 1 day i was driving down this country lane on my way to my permission, coming towards me was this guy we a purebred, so i pulled over and got chatting to him leaving my dog in the car, i asked him if he worked it, yes he says its had a few bunnies, a bitch by the way 2 year old, a beautiful dog, i then asked if i could iontroduce my dog to his bitch, no probs he says, what a fantastic sight to behold, both running together in the open, i would render missen ginger to own that dog, i no i could do it proud

Wouldn't give a saluki or a saluki rich lurcher house room imho they are shite one trick poneys all the ones I've seen need massive expanses to catch any thing no good round my neck of the woods ok on fen land but not what I would call a good lurcher

lee i once thought like you stupidly and like you i thought they were pish on anything other than the fens but when i seen what i think was a pure run and her take a fox s/h and then went on to do preban gear s/h on a hard terrain i knew i had underestimated them trust me there no one trick pony and they dont need big land either and from what the owner said she ran any land big or small and was committed has any dog and was a very good dog its just that she was a one man dog and was funny with certain dogs

well i have a saluki 1st x and hes far from a one trick anything,hes taken lots of everythin and some of things you wouldnt necessarily think of hunting,anyone who says that hasnt a clue i reckon

Some great answers, from people who owned them... :thumbs: :thumbs:

had plenty saluki crosses for over twenty years plus , ha dthem ferret course lamp wouldnt expect anything else , there not as quick fetchers as my old collie line but some are very goodfetchers natural ,

pure salukis well thats a diffrent kettle of fish , bonny dogs but no were as usefull to me as apurpose bred saluki lurcher ,but you will get the odd good one ,

Mine will do what ever they are slipped to .three out of the four will run any land large and small, The fourth is a big land dog but pace to burn. They will run flint to turf fields and come off relatively unscathed. The ones decrying them have never had or seen a decent one run and work Spring is here and all this nonsense starts from the bull x lads who must hibernate in winter and come out when young inexperienced stuff about for them to kill. :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1