Fox Earths......do They Exist

Okay may seem like a silly question.....I guess it is....but how often do you come across multi hole fox earths dug out only by foxes....something akin to a mini badger sett but created only by foxes????

I have spent a lot of time out and about in the sticks (not doing terriers) and can honestly say I have never ever come across a fox earth!

I have found foxes in:

Single holes

Land drains

Under bridges

Straw stacks

Badger Setts

Scratched out rabbit holes for cubbing

Stick piles

Log stacks

Artificials

Under sheds

In sheds

On sheds

In barns

In/ under farm machinery

But never ever come across a fox earth dug out by a fox that has more than a single hole!

So do they exist? (Ex badger setts do not count)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't live in the city then where there's no rabbits or badgers then eh ? Next time you go into the city on a train have a look at the railway banks , Urban earths loads of multi eyed earths lol.

I watched a vixen drawing an earth one evening when stalking on the opposite valley to me .it was sandy and she shifted some dirt too in the very same manner of a terrier pulling back with her front f

I suppose so mate I'm no expert some of the people there look a bit closely related if I'm honest

Posted Images

Short of somehow being able to communicate with the fox and asking it straight out, I dont think its possible to find out if the earth was dug by the fox, badger or is an enlarged rabbit bury! :laugh: In my very limited experience, multi entrance earths are far more common than single hole ones anyway..

there are two reasonably large foxearths not far from me both have been dug from scratch with foxes. so yes they do definately dig some themselves. but most foxes will use whatever refuge they can find . including rabbit holes badger setts drains and any other holes in the ground you can think of.

Theres a fox earth in the church grounds at the end of weybridge high street,its been used for cubbing for several years,the soil is very sandy but that was dug by a fox,its gone down so deep that you can find small fragments of cranium and bone in one of the spoil piles thats been excavated.

I live some where there are no badgers at all eradicated years ago no chance of repopulation either when a earth just appears you know it's fox in fact on my dog (walk) today on a nice piece of grass bank is the start of a new one I'll keep my eye on it fingers crossed

Edited by leethedog

I live some where there are no badgers at all eradicated years ago no chance of repopulation either when a earth just appears you know it's fox in fact on my dog (walk) today on a nice piece of grass bank is the start of a new one I'll keep my eye on it fingers crossed

that statement is a lot of shit
  • Like 1

never found a fox in a tree , interesting

seen one up a tree in the middle of cover one morning when i thought hounds had put one to ground. Sat tight like a cat looking down on the hounds while they scrambled looking up and running around confused. It got away too, i gave it too much of a fair chance. Survival of the fittest, i can't argue with that.

• Like 1

Had one jump down from a hawthorne hedge right at me when exercising the pups while they had disappeared down the ditch. I ducked, it landed beside me and went on. Got one pup, found his sister 4 fields away no collar on never dug to before and she wasn't with the fox that had jumped from the tree. Sat for nearly 2 hours until my mates close by had finished work and could get out to help me with tools to get her out. Killed them out of roofs standing with my back to the wall jumping out windows floorboards and any gaps possible. Why would they need an earth, they find homes anywhere? Hoking a hole in a hedge/bank out for shelter isn't going to be an issue.

• Like 1