Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

so what about the dog that kills nine out of ten. will wait at an occupied earth to be sent in. and call out . not committed. ? stay all day if need be. call out if need be. ive seen a dog that did. pile of shite /quiter/ na. full of crap. most of you are. :D

I for one never said that.... There are several different different types and styles of the way a terrier works under the sod..... 95% of it will never be seen untill the show settles and you dig there and break through, that the only time you can see whats what. If any terrier of any type or description goes in, works his game to a reasonable standard, isn't sitting back a mile and stayes till dug isn't doing so bad. If you can call it out or not is nothing to do with the effort it puts in in my opinion... Different dogs different ways i suppose. I cant call out any of mine but i can see it being a massive advantage in some situations.

• Like 2

Ive been thinking about what you were saying about good dogs that are tough enough to finish the job and stay till dug but will leave if you call it.... I haven't ever seen or experienced it but if you were to compare it to shepards, malanois or dutch hearders and the likes who when trained and obedient go from absolute lunatics on commanded, no reverse gear, are full on a show there natural instinct untill told to leave it and they stop on the spot...... So yes, i can see some terriers being able to be called out without neccessarily being uncommitted.

I dug a one this afternoon and the terrier more or less had it finished in the hole but he bolted one before from a big place. So is he a hard bolting terrier and a digging terrier too? Lol

I had simular saturday :thumbs: ,but the second fox went to bolt from a different earth and then turned back in only to meet the following terrier who pushed it back out arse end first while having hold of it and as it goes my russell bitch has entered then drawn her last two foxes by their tails so a bit confused on that one as well, :laugh:

Edited by fireman

I dug a one this afternoon and the terrier more or less had it finished in the hole but he bolted one before from a big place. So is he a hard bolting terrier and a digging terrier too? Lol

I had simular saturday :thumbs: ,but the second fox went to bolt from a different earth and then turned back in only to meet the following terrier who pushed it back out arse end first while having hold of it and as it goes my russell bitch has entered then drawn her last two foxes by their tails so a bit confused on that one as well, :laugh:
Sounds like a good days crack allround. No two hunts are ever the same.
  • Like 1

We've got a earth on one of our permissions about 7-8 holes in a bank,never had to dig it in the two years I've been on there,we've had five from it since Christmas all bolted and all shot, I usually use my older bich on this earth she will stay till dug and dose bolt a lot aswell but last time we checked it I used my strong digging dog, if he gets hold you need to dig I'm out, fox still bolted, I was thinking there's no stop ends in this earth, anyone had the same ??

• Like 1

We've got a earth on one of our permissions about 7-8 holes in a bank,never had to dig it in the two years I've been on there,we've had five from it since Christmas all bolted and all shot, I usually use my older bich on this earth she will stay till dug and dose bolt a lot aswell but last time we checked it I used my strong digging dog, if he gets hold you need to dig I'm out, fox still bolted, I was thinking there's no stop ends in this earth, anyone had the same ??

one near me that has one hole and just goes in a loop, had foxes running the dog in circles. its only shallow so You have to break through and block its path if it doesnt bolt out of the entrance. Isnt really a holding earth just a place foxes will drip in when forced.

Truth is, you never know what's happening underground same as there could be many reasons for a dogs performance or lack there of on any given day.

But a dog that keeps coming in and out of its own accord, runs earths but won't find or does find buts comes away without a hair out of place is a wanker not a bolting dog........just plain and simple a wanker.

• Like 3

The bolting dogs I've seen would get bitten, but just didn't have the staying power to stop for any amount of time. Sometimes they would stay half hour, sometimes 5 minutes, but once they resurfaced they'd be keen to go back in and that is usually when the bolt occurred as the fox had left the stop end and had its chance to escape.

knew of a terrier many years ago that would stay until dug to but wouldn't have many marks on him with his owner , would get in hard when loaned out to lads who wanted to dig to him , bolted more foxes than I care to remember when we used him to guns , and could be called off when the owner whistled him out if needed in small places , don't know what catagory he fits in

Truth is, you never know what's happening underground same as there could be many reasons for a dogs performance or lack there of on any given day.

But a dog that keeps coming in and out of its own accord, runs earths but won't find or does find buts comes away without a hair out of place is a wanker not a bolting dog........just plain and simple a wanker.

pretty much exactly what i said a couple of posts back...... so do you think different performances or working styles underground have a bearing on weather a bolt is more likely than a dig?

pretty much exactly what i said a couple of posts back...... so do you think different performances or working styles underground have a bearing on weather a bolt is more likely than a dig?

I would say so......I go out here with an excellent bolting terrier, he will find a way to bolt if he can.....sometimes popping up to try another direction, saw him bolt 3 just like this on Saturday.....,,,,but will stay til dug if in a hole end, he done a 3 hour stint without moving an inch the other week in Germany......very useful dog, pleases the guns & us when we get a dig :-)

Edited to say.....sometimes he'll have a hold when you break through as well.......difficult to pidgeon hole some terriers I'd say....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 5