Legal Implications Of Cats In My Garden

Just Goggled this first case i read ....guess no offence was committed with me and Police couldn't do anything that's why he said what he did

The RSPCA said in order for an offence to be committed, it would need to be proved that a human had encouraged an animal to attack another animal, declined to take reasonable steps to prevent the attack, or had allowed their own animal to be dangerously out of control in a public place.

An RSPCA spokeswoman added: “Without knowing the specific details of this case it is difficult to comment.

“But our thoughts go out to everyone involved in this incident.”

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “We were informed on Friday evening that a cat had been killed at an address in John Street, Shoreham, allegedly by a dog.

“Inquiries have been made and there is no evidence of any criminal offence having been committed.”

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MATT YOUR WRONG CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS WHILST ON THERE PROPERTY THE MINUTE THEY LEAVE THERE PROPERTY THEY ARE CLASSED AS FERAL [uNDER NO ONES CONTROL ] GOOGLE IT AND YOU CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR

MATT WHILST I AGREE CATS ARE CLASSED AS PROPERTY UNDER ENGLISH LAW , THEY HAVE NO RIGHT S ONCE THEY LEAVE THERE DOMAIN [OWNERS PROPERTY]BUT ANY NUISENSE OR DAMAGE THEY DO THE ONER CAN BE HELD RESPOSIB

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH CATS ONLY HAVE RIGHTS IF THERE ON THERE OWN PROPERTY IF A CAT ROAM OFF DOWN THE ROAD OR ONTO YOUR PROPERTY IT HAS NO RIGHT THIS DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN INTENTIONALY HARM THE CAT BUT I

MATT WHILST I AGREE CATS ARE CLASSED AS PROPERTY UNDER ENGLISH LAW , THEY HAVE NO RIGHT S ONCE THEY LEAVE THERE DOMAIN [OWNERS PROPERTY]BUT ANY NUISENSE OR DAMAGE THEY DO THE ONER CAN BE HELD RESPOSIBLE IN THIS CASE MATHEW HAS A CASE UNDER THE ENVIOMENTAL PROTECTION ACT 1990 IN THE CAT IS CRAPPING ALL OVER HIS GARDEN AND VEG PLOT THUS SPREADING DISEASES SO THE FIRST CAUSE OF ACTION WOULD BE TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER AND TELL HIM TO KEEP HIS CAT OF MATHEWS GARDEN SHOULD HE FAIL TO DO SO MATHEW IS WITHIN HIS RIGHTS TO TRAP THE CAT AND TAKE IT TO THE LOCAL POUND AS A STRAY OR ANY OTHER ACTION WITHIN THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT ,NOW THIS IS ALL IN THE IDEAL WORLD ME ID SHOOT IT AND SLING IT IN A SKIP SOMEWHERE OR BURY IT OVER THE FIELDS OUT THE WAY AND DENY ALL KNOWLEDGE WE ONLY HAVE 2 SORTS OF CAT AROUND US FAST AND DEAD

• Like 6

Please ignore the very wrong information being posted here.

The owner of a cat has the same rights to his or her animal regardless of where it is, and they can't be held liable for it's actions.

Don't believe me?

Fine, that's your affair :thumbs:

But the armchair lawyer on here needs to read a little more and spout a little less :yes:

I had a dividing fence in my old garden so dogs didn't destroy the lawn qnd a neighbours cat used to sit on it winding up a lurcher and 2 terriers one day the lurcher snatched the fecker off the fence with a very impressive jump and snatch technique cat didn't last long police called at my house a full 24 hours after seemed to be more of a courtesy call so the neighbours could curtain twitch

• Like 1

Please ignore the very wrong information being posted here.

The owner of a cat has the same rights to his or her animal regardless of where it is, and they can't be held liable for it's actions.

Don't believe me?

Fine, that's your affair :thumbs:

But the armchair lawyer on here needs to read a little more and spout a little less :yes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Any cats trying to torment my birds or other livestock get found run over on the road believe it or not ,must be a karma thing eh :laugh: but it stops the owners trying to find out why there cat is dead :yes: . :thumbs: ......

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

If your dog kills a cat you are guilty of the offence of theft, as you've 'deprived' the rightful owner of their property.

Sad but true.

The owners of cats cannot be held liable for their actions, whilst the cats remain their property and cannot be harmed.

However, if a cat is run over by a vehicle on the highway, you are not obliged to stop or report the 'accident' :thumbs:

If your dog kills a cat you are guilty of the offence of theft, as you've 'deprived' the rightful owner of their property.

Sad but true.

The owners of cats cannot be held liable for their actions, whilst the cats remain their property and cannot be harmed.

However, if a cat is run over by a vehicle on the highway, you are not obliged to stop or report the 'accident' :thumbs:

Are you sure.....had this happen, wife walking terriers, cat jumps up terrier grabs it fight ensues, cat gets killed. Wife being far too honest tells the cat owners what happened and apologises says if was 50/50 the cat actually wanted a row and approached the terrier....they went nuts and called police, police says cats are basically feral and no law had been broken. end of story. had other incident. terrier got loose from yard one time went up lane into neighbours garden killed there cat. police came, advised us too keep the dogs more secure. No charges at all. the most we could of been In trouble for was failing to keep dog under control, but the police accepted she had dug under fence and where happy we where making the yard more secure.

arm chair lawyer lol ive been called a few thing but never that , my daughters a very good barrister so don't need to do it myself to biz enjoying retirement as you can see matt ive had the hoover in the keyboard and managed to suck the shit out so the keys are working fine at the moment

armchair lawyer cant get over that one just a grumpy old man with lots of experience of life and dogs

• Like 2