Whippet Question.

I have always had dogs of a size above 23 inches and never found size a problem, a few years ago I thought that size was not needed for just the rabbits on the land I hunt and went down to 18 1/2 inches then 20 inches I couldnt get on with either dog.

One of my main problems was seeing things but the dog not being able to over white grass tusuks/heather and ive gone back to the 23inch plus dogs and im happy again.

Not saying there isnt a place for small dogs its just that they dont suit me atb 2.8

• Like 3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thought about it pal, but thats as far as ive got, gamerooster, ive had my moments of big bags matey back in the 50s n 60s, these days, bearing in mind, im in my 70s, with just the 1 dog, wse dont do

When you get older, and you have done the big bags, then you settle down, and start really enjoying your days out, im not far behind I work Whippets, im 66, so my ferreting days consist of threes and

i will hold my hands up here regarding a bigger dog, on some occasions, whilst out in the fields watching my 19 incher in pursuit and missing her catch, said to myself, another few inches was needed t

Posted Images

Get a mate with a bushing dog, i like my running dog waiting for the rabbits to break cover, not in it, besides, watching a good bushing dog is a pleasure in itself. Any of the running dogs already mentioned would do you neems, 21-22" would be a good hight, my preference would be 3/4 Grew 1/4 beddy or collie, Grews are lightening quick but some [not all] can be abit dim.

Take on board what 2.8 guy has said if your running that type of ground, but for arable/pasture i,d go slightly smaller, just my opinion though, just to add i had a very good rabbiting dog many years ago that stood 27" tts.

Edited by buster gonads
  • Like 1

i will hold my hands up here regarding a bigger dog, on some occasions, whilst out in the fields watching my 19 incher in pursuit and missing her catch, said to myself, another few inches was needed there, and then theres tuther side where a bigger dog wouldnt have suited my terrain,, thing is, she has to work that bit harder to pull off her catches where a bigger dog would snap up with ease, and is a sight to behold, but i have what ive got, a 19 incher and happy with that, enjoy your dogs, whatever you have :thumbs:

• Like 6

i will hold my hands up here regarding a bigger dog, on some occasions, whilst out in the fields watching my 19 incher in pursuit and missing her catch, said to myself, another few inches was needed there, and then theres tuther side where a bigger dog wouldnt have suited my terrain,, thing is, she has to work that bit harder to pull off her catches where a bigger dog would snap up with ease, and is a sight to behold, but i have what ive got, a 19 incher and happy with that, enjoy your dogs, whatever you have :thumbs:

good thread that :thumbs: , well in all honesty apart from ferreting , meaning getting bolters I ve never seen the advantage of a small dog to a big dog,ive had none ped (racing)20in whippet which was great at lamping rabbits, and great at bushing with a terrier , whippets are deff fast of the mark and can get the rabbit in couple strikes , great little rabbit dogs. But my big lump here Buck picks rabbits quite easy for a big dog , and the advantage here I think if you bumped into something bigger than a rabbit that extra size comes in very handy to use, not saying you got have dog as big as Buck , but somting deff bigger than whippet, say a line bred whippexgrey about 23-24in would be spot on :yes:

if you had permission on land that was fairly easy going on the dog so hopefully low chance of injury,with a fair few rabbits but not much else would you go for:

a working bred/ped whippet ,a racing whippet,a small x?

for lamping and bushing.

Personally id source a fleet footed lurcher bred for the job,with a jacket.The easiest of land to run still as the ability to injure a dog or 3,we have little control for natures nuances.Id love another Whippety,especially seeing the maestro,s dog on here and his regular posts,yet im still of the opinion that a little more is often needed,even in the pursuit of bunny,s.

Iworkwhippets have you any plans to mate your little dog as I think she as a lot of admirers atb Flacko

I would think if it was possible for her to have 100 pups he'd have no trouble homing the lot of em! Belting little dog :thumbs:

And not having a dig at iworkwhippets or his dog, but it never seems to get big bags, just puts a lot of game away, I think it's as much the man behind this little dog as it is the dog, he obviously has his dog out often, my bet is give him any well bred whippet and he would do well with it

Iworkwhippets have you any plans to mate your little dog as I think she as a lot of admirers atb Flacko

thought about it pal, but thats as far as ive got, gamerooster, ive had my moments of big bags matey back in the 50s n 60s, these days, bearing in mind, im in my 70s, with just the 1 dog, wse dont do bad, im just glad im in good health and able to get out and put work in front of her, ive said this before, but it doesnt bother me 1 iota if we come home empty handed, i just love being able to put a smile on her face, granted, if she catches its a bonus for her, thanks for the comments lads

• Like 9

And not having a dig at iworkwhippets or his dog, but it never seems to get big bags, just puts a lot of game away, I think it's as much the man behind this little dog as it is the dog, he obviously has his dog out often, my bet is give him any well bred whippet and he would do well with it

When you get older, and you have done the big bags, then you settle down, and start really enjoying your days out, im not far behind I work Whippets, im 66, so my ferreting days consist of threes and fours, but being retired i can pick my days, its what your happy with, some have to have 100, others not, im now one of them.

• Like 6