Smithfield , Tumblers....

This dog was bred by Jeff. Very easy to train marked, retrived ,lamped and ferreted. He was a very handy dog 100% single handed and made the fast rabbits look easy. He was an excellent all rounder and a joy to own. I'm not making a statement about all his dogs because this is the only one I've had anything to do with but I'd have him again in a hart beat.

thats a good honest review. would you pay £500?

No and I wouldn't either the dog was two years old and came from a freind free of charge. You do see adult made dogs making that much and more , and I would of paid that price to have him back again. But all pups are a gamble, An old guy I know once said to me " it doesn't matter what animal your dealing with birds, dogs ,horses you can only put the best to the best and hope for the best each animal will be what it will be" so with this in mind I can't see any pup being worth this price. These are hard working dogs and anything can happen to them before you can say they are worth that sort of money.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those were back in the 70's but there's really no reason to believe they were from a "genuine smithfield" either in my opinion.

Many years ago,... I travelled the length and breadth of the UK ,.searching for the mythical Smithfield Collie.... We had relatives in New Zealand working with Huntaway types that were often referred

That Jeff is a fcking lunatic (in a harmless way) even witb the story's. I lived round corner from him bumped into regular. .. he's full of shit and believes it...   Dog wise seen one work during d

Posted Images

I've spoken to the breeder a couple of times. the first time out of interest,the second out of curiosity. on both occasions I was left with no doubt about the commercial aspect of the breeding of his dogs.

over the years I've judged a few lurcher shows,and when owners are asked about the breeding of their dog,if its been "Burrell" bred, it always comes with a puffed out chest. Many have looked looked the part, and I have no doubt they could perform.But as a dog to graft as it should, its a big expensive gamble

• Like 2

I've spoken to the breeder a couple of times. the first time out of interest,the second out of curiosity. on both occasions I was left with no doubt about the commercial aspect of the breeding of his dogs.

over the years I've judged a few lurcher shows,and when owners are asked about the breeding of their dog,if its been "Burrell" bred, it always comes with a puffed out chest. Many have looked looked the part, and I have no doubt they could perform.But as a dog to graft as it should, its a big expensive gamble

Agreed 100%. To be honest I belived the dog to be a deerhound cur cross with no fancy tag to him, until I was told other wise. But to me he was just a good solid worker.
  • Like 1

gvc we had dogs like yours in the early eighties with no burrel bull shit , just hare dog to hare dog ,,mate had sandy coulored ones some grey some black ,they were decent dogs ,hees a dreamer end off but some gullible public or naive like to believe in dreams , so he hanckoock make a living with an ole lurcher cur dog or colie type ,if a man has agood dog hees proud to show agenuine hunting man it working thats always been my falacy , for a good dog

• Like 1

I think I'll go with the lad on here who was breeding if there's one available. He tried justifying the price by comparing it to 10 bags of eukanuba dog food... Haha FairPlay to him though he's a tryer on the phone lol

Did he mention shoulders,,,he loves shoulders does Geoff ,,,talks for ages about them,,the difrent shoulder structures on ,,,smithfields and tumblers,,,,aparantly difrent types of dog,,,,but wich can be in the same litter

• Like 3

Yes tomo shoulders. Flat backs the bigger leaner better for hares and the smaller wider for rabbits.length of muzzle you name it he'll cover it. 400 yrs theses dogs have been hiding in coal bunkers dont forget, plus take any game day or night on any ground!

Fck it iam getting one

• Like 2

I've owned 1 and known of another 4 and all had mental problems the one I had just stopped retrieving for no reason I could figure would fetch into sight then just stop as good a catch dog as I've seen but was just nuts on it's day a great dog, the next day a liability. Ended up getting run over after i shouted at one of my other dogs and it just did one. None of the others I've known have been stable, maybe it's the way he fetched them up but there is something not right with em, stay well clear

Many years ago,... I travelled the length and breadth of the UK ,.searching for the mythical Smithfield Collie.... We had relatives in New Zealand working with Huntaway types that were often referred to as Smithfields, so it was obvious that such critters existed...

Most of the photos that my kin sent over, displayed what we today would term as a Beardie type...

Several decades ago,..I bred a few litters.. using a localised sheepdog/cattle dog,...

I tried to create my own Smithfield 'look-a-likes' .

They were variable in type,(and in performance),..in short,some did, and some fecking didn't :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

whats funny is the amount of guys on here no jeff burrel intamitly ,like the hanckoock plummer snivlers who phone up and talk shit about the pups he has ahah funny old world ,i cant believe there guys going round mens houses kennels still taking photos and writing about them ,then bang dogs are stolen , the burrels hanckoocks are best left for the dreamers there enough genuine dog men breeding good stuff nowadays to get a pup from genuine hunting men and gals

the only shoulder i want to see is an old type collie lurcher or saluk dropping ashoulder to pick his game up or changeing his gear to suit the game in hand ,rant over lol

the drovers dogs are like the scottish deerhound the good ones were and are well gone along time ago ,shame realy but thats movment of time going forward