What Age Were You

Right lads what age were you when you acquired your first hunting companion lurcher or terrier and what cross ,year ,price if you can remember ?

I was brought up with running dogs as my old man bred and raced whippets , but my very first own dog was a black terrier,parks blood for £80 back in 1990 bought from a local man that kept a very good line of parks blood from Who lived at amble. Topper lived to 14 and was 1 of the best dogs I owned .

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You lot are going to piss yourselves when I tell you what my first rabbiting dog was. The family boxer, cost 7/6 in Abergavenny market As a kid back in the 1960's the dog would go everywhere with me,

A fawn whippet called nip paid £5 for her from a block of high rise flats ( 12th ) floor when she was 6 weeks old had her till she was 13 years old that little bitch done every thing from ratting to l

1985 i was 13 and given a little 22 inch whippet grey deerhound from my brother in law fastest dog i have ever had i loved this bitch and we would be out all the time ..i would mooch off school go rou

Posted Images

like you brick my old man kept digging dogs and runners got my first lurcher when i was 10 in 81 a d/h g x cg called prince not sure how much went every were with me and when the old man took him out only the once he gave gob and got pts that day and was replaced with a little bed whip a few days later

• Like 1

A fawn whippet called nip paid £5 for her from a block of high rise flats ( 12th ) floor when she was 6 weeks old had her till she was 13 years old that little bitch done every thing from ratting to lamping excellent ferreting bitch was also a great companion on them dark nights when you shouldn't be were you are and your hideing in a ditch till the keeper gave up looking for you she would lie silent and never move a great working animal but also a great friend still missed after all the years.

• Like 6

Was brought up with running dogs im the little happy chappie in blond :icon_redface: the dog in my brothers arms is PIP his whippet cross

My mother bought me a jack russel when I was 8 this was my first dog of my own I named it and was made to take care of her she was called Jackie and I have many fond memories pipandyoungme_zpsa0bb3ee3.png

• Like 3

1985 i was 13 and given a little 22 inch whippet grey deerhound from my brother in law fastest dog i have ever had i loved this bitch and we would be out all the time ..i would mooch off school go round the back of the house and let her out and be away for the day ...took the bollocking when i got home lol

• Like 3

You lot are going to piss yourselves when I tell you what my first rabbiting dog was. The family boxer, cost 7/6 in Abergavenny market As a kid back in the 1960's the dog would go everywhere with me, when she was about 6 months old we were up the mountain looking for lapwing nests when she rose a fox and either it was old or just hurt but it could not run properly and she caught up with it and literately smashed it to pieces, I do not think there was a whole bone in it's body once she had finished with it. And we had a 10 bob note for the tail.

So I started using her when squirreling and ratting and she was mustard at finding any game. Problem was she classed anything as game horses, pigs, sheep nothing was safe from her. Remember once walking into a farm yard with her on a lead asking for rabbiting permission. Picture the scene a scruffy little 12 year old with ferret in bag and a boxer on the lead asking for rabbiting permission when up comes a piglet and sniffs and grunts at the dogs arse end, quick as a flash she turns around and grabs the piglet by the ear and starts shaking it. Blood spouting everywhere and the piglet screaming it's head off. Makes me smile now but feck if I had a dog that done that now, I would shoot the bloody thing Needless to say I never got to go on that farm.

TC

• Like 9