What Would You Buy ??

I think I remember from a previous thread that you invest in wine gnasher, is it worth it?

I invest in all sorts of shit mate........human beings included :D .......yes the wines a decent little return,like anything else the more you plough in the more your likely to see back with a bit of patience.... i just like the fact you can sit back forget about it and let others do the brainwork......you,ll see a lot more than you will off the interest of your average savings account put it that way ;)

Edited by gnasher16

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Land .......

Risk of fire .....id like to know how a fire starts in multi million pound super hi tec vaults......that is such a silly article theres risk in any investment but theres reasons way beyond standard e

All the green belt around here is owned by the city council or the big boys like Barratt and Bellway. You'd need to be a billionaire to buy any.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/9888633/Wine-is-not-like-shares-or-cash.html

Unregulated, risk of fraud, fire, etc. Heavy storage costs and these can go up at any given point.

I'm sure lots can and do make money in wine , but I certainly don't think there's more winners than losers.

You sure thats not urban myth Joe, or are we believing the media now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/9888633/Wine-is-not-like-shares-or-cash.html

Unregulated, risk of fraud, fire, etc. Heavy storage costs and these can go up at any given point.

I'm sure lots can and do make money in wine , but I certainly don't think there's more winners than losers.

Risk of fire :laugh: .....id like to know how a fire starts in multi million pound super hi tec vaults......that is such a silly article theres risk in any investment but theres reasons way beyond standard economics that wines fluctuate in value.....anything from a bad vintage to master taster critics.......the worldwide top wine critic is a yank called Robert Parker he only needs to give a 100 point score and that wine will increase by 25% in value overnight !

Socks you have Corsham Cellars close to you go and have a look round and ask some questions.......its probably one of the best cellars in the world with well over 1 billion pound of wine a few hundred feet underground covering something like 50 acres !!.......even for no other reason than pure interest its worth a look.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3

Just a question with wine investments. Is it a common thing used by scammers? Reason I ask is I have known two people to do wine broking. Not sure how but both them said it was a scam. Didn't pay much interest and not good mates was out to party with em so didn't talk about work. Someone I know fairly well though has done diamond broking but the diamonds don't actually exist or something? He ended up getting the sack after too many messy weekends n not going in Monday. Not something id ever agree with as I imagine the poor sods investing money and being done are old people. Not good for anyone to get done like that but old people goes right against my morals. Not saying its all scams or anything just curious as to if its common practice.

My uncle earns silly money buying and selling signed first edition books. Never read a book in his life was my dad who got him into it. Unlike my dad though his got a lot of money so can grab any deal that comes his way. Pretty much anything he touches he does well with and makes money.

Wine is categorised as a " wasting asset " and so not liable for Capital Gains......look its not some kind of get rich quick sheme yes id imagine theres scams go on like there is in anything....its a difficult commodity to get rid of in a hurry so you cant rely on it for liquidity.......its basically an ideal way of turning over a few quid that you might otherwise stick under the mattress and forget about.......i look at it in a similar way to having a bet on the dogs or something,dont take it too serious and dont invest more than you can afford to lose ( or drink )....... and i dont even drink so im on hiding to nothing if it went wonky :D

• Like 2

No matter what you choose to invest in, there's no guarantee.......the only way is to lay your money out and take your chances.

And don't forget, you earn your money when you buy not when you sell ;)