Hancock's Border/beardie Stud Dogs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

quote name="Grunter123" post="3797983" timestamp="1417040992"]Is he any good on teeth Aye, mint

Herding dogs are an amazingly varied type... Been around such animals for over 50 years,.....I really like them...   When choosing a sheepdog Sire or Dam, to create a roustabout lurcher,...I try t

Sesku, I am both ashamed and proud to say I kept her for 14 feckin years. My wife and kids thought the world of her and I couldn't upset them by putting her down.

personally on the hole hancock studs ,all but the alex dog ,and maybe hector and wilson are miss mass production of stud animals from the past alex seems to be closer to richards jones line but he carries greyhound , the del boy and brothers are begotten from lurchers so when going back to greys ,breed a wide range of types so indifferent of hancock stock from the past lots of the welps now are shelly and dont seem to have the structure and robust type one would expect from collie xs greys . saying that i haverno doubt there will be those happy with theres and i suppose that alls that matters ,i would personally go elsewhere if wanting the type ,trouble his for some theyre hard to find when needed hancocks provide the good s ALL YR ROUND atb bunnys.

• Like 1

Jukel123 are you the same juckler123 ?

My dad had a beardie x greyhound from hancock. It was the first dog I was to start hunting alone with at the tender age of 13. The bitch was so nervous of other dogs and I remember it standing chest deep in water so another dog wouldn't come close. Hunting wise she was also nervous of chasing anything, at the age of 2 she eventually started catching rabbits, her best bag being 5 because she started picking her runs. The most annoying part was when we get a squatter and instead of going in for the kill , she would just stand motionless hoping the rabbit would jump into her mouth. She even started running away after a nights lamping. we get home , let her out the car and she would be off. Wouldn't ever own a beardie type again or one from hancock for that matter.

• Like 1

In reply to what foresterj said, i think 40 yrs with working dogs, gives me a [BANNED TEXT] to express my opinion, and i stick by what i said , i am on hill farms nearly every day and i bet i have only seen 1 workingbeardie and hundreds of working borders, that tells you something,

Brian

• Like 1

Jukel123 are you the same juckler123 ?

My dad had a beardie x greyhound from hancock. It was the first dog I was to start hunting alone with at the tender age of 13. The bitch was so nervous of other dogs and I remember it standing chest deep in water so another dog wouldn't come close. Hunting wise she was also nervous of chasing anything, at the age of 2 she eventually started catching rabbits, her best bag being 5 because she started picking her runs. The most annoying part was when we get a squatter and instead of going in for the kill , she would just stand motionless hoping the rabbit would jump into her mouth. She even started running away after a nights lamping. we get home , let her out the car and she would be off. Wouldn't ever own a beardie type again or one from hancock for that matter.

And to give the completely opposite type: I had a 3/4 Grey 1/4 Beardie from Hancock, many years ago, by a first cross dog called Richard Porter (I think that was his name) She took all quarry easily, even hares, though her method of running on the fens was to get her nose down when she lost sight of the hare and work to put it up again out of cover or a dyke. Not a real 3/3 single handed dog, but pretty good for a non Saluki lurcher. Brilliant on the lamp and with ferrets, and my most trusty right hand man on foxes, worked with terriers, drew foxes, and so easy to live with. Super intelligent and a thoroughly nice companion as well. Hunted thick cover like a bloodhound. Only 23", smooth coated, and she also bred me some very good lurchers herself, put to a lurcher to lurcher stud. Not a nervous bone in her body.

I also, before I got her, had a neurotic, weird lurcher by Richard Jones. She would have been enough to put anyone of collie lurchers for life, but I later discovered that her dam was a bag of nerves: that was in the days when Hancock used any old greyhound regardless of its temperament! I did hear later that he no longer did that, but only chose bitches of good temperament, but reading this thread I'm now not so sure. I certainly wouldn't risk getting one again if I was ever looking for a pup: worker to worker every time now.

got a ten year old hancock dog outof tweedle dee he is 5/8 3/8 jack of all trades master of none some night he would be shit hot then others I could of killed him great dog at home though and gaurds the house and garden like a shepheard I wouldnt have another though but do like some of the attributes

In reply to what foresterj said, i think 40 yrs with working dogs, gives me a [bANNED TEXT] to express my opinion, and i stick by what i said , i am on hill farms nearly every day and i bet i have only seen 1 workingbeardie and hundreds of working borders, that tells you something,

Brian

I'll keep it brief Brian as the thread is about Mr. Hancocks stock, not Beardie vs Border. 4 years or 400 years of course you're entitled to your opinion, the length of time you've been around Dogs does not however lend any more authority to that opinion, I've been driving 30 year, doesn't make me Lewis Hamilton. There are still plenty working Beardie about, clearly not in the hills of Cumbria as you assure us, I do not intend to get embroiled in a pointless discussion on the merits of one type over the other. However despite my kennel blindness I certainly wouldn't dream of writing off an entire breed based on my own limited experiences.

John.

• Like 1

the best all round dog i ever saw was a bitch bred from hancocks current stud dog Mr JONES which is beardie x border. he was put across a greyhound bitch, and the pup my friend owned was about 24tts and 50lb at a guess. this bitch was what i would consider almost the perfect dog, both for all round hunting but also in temperament. i would be interested if anyone else has seen a dog of this breeding?

saw plenty hancocks had a few i got a decent one but im a dog man and made the dog , but saw plenty that the vet would had been kinder putting to sleep ,no pace,no guts, nervous and skittish , a bad recipe for a failed working dog , as for beardies still plenty in the scottish hills , and some beardie crosses to, all wet ,cold ,hill land , pace, agility, laid back, is a must for ferreting or rabbiting, ive had better saluk crosses than some of the nuerotic hanckockers ,and that is a fact not hear say, keep away from professinal breeders

• Like 1

saw plenty hancocks had a few i got a decent one but im a dog man and made the dog , but saw plenty that the vet would had been kinder putting to sleep ,no pace,no guts, nervous and skittish , a bad recipe for a failed working dog , as for beardies still plenty in the scottish hills , and some beardie crosses to, all wet ,cold ,hill land , pace, agility, laid back, is a must for ferreting or rabbiting, ive had better saluk crosses than some of the nuerotic hanckockers ,and that is a fact not hear say, keep away from professinal breeders

well said.about time someone told it straight

• Like 1