Collie Greyhound

Some wise words border lad been about the game for a few years have you?you can sicken the collie crosses easy I belive !you need to understand the dog you have! Yes bird I just think if you look at the collie it's not in the nature to kill and risk getting hurt on another predator? They are more clever and ready to live another clever day ! We're the bull cross is out to do battle with anything that comes into it's path! Given the exception in both crosses! I've always own the collie cross and suits my all-round rabbiting do I require tho on bigger nights on the rabbits I think a little bit of bull/terrier influence to keep that hunger!

yeh colliexgrey x bullx grey might not be bad x, few lads on here work this x,and are happy with them ,just that bit of bull to fire them up a bit :yes:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love em or loathe em..nothing stirs a debate when the words collie & lurcher are talked of in the same sentence..some owners me included just seem to gel with a cur x where others would rather tea

I have to be honest here the collie x was my first Lurcher, back in 1958 I was 14 years old still at school, I wrote about this before, Now this is the crunch, I learned with that dog by listening t

i've run cur dogs for best part of 30 years now, and it has to be said that the owner does make an enormous difference to the dog. yes failures do occur, but have you ever wondered why most profession

Posted Images

Iv seen collie x kill fox up and down the country it's how you enter them , too young and you can spoil them their intellingent dogs they can and do make good all a rounders likes been said its who's holding the other end of the lead that is key

• Like 4

I have to be honest here the collie x was my first Lurcher, back in 1958 I was 14 years old still at school, I wrote about this before, Now this is the crunch,

I learned with that dog by listening to older and far more experienced men, as time went on, with other dogs, I was still wanting instant coffee, but nature does not work like that, you get your pup educate him to the country side let him be a pup, the first year of that dogs life is so important, you have schooled him/her to recall, carry back to you, jump go through obstacles, and pick-up a few rabbits, he is 12 months old, everybody seems to think he or she should be working like a champion, they have only come out of the Nursery school, 2nd season rising two, they are maturing into a very nice animal,doing thinks that are putting a smile on your face, ((( thats if they are decent, and they are flying, pace, balanced and a very good strike, you come home with a smile on your face, 3 year old

now you have something, Running crafty, = first year only a baby, learning his job, 2nd year you know what you have, he may not be a world beater but he pleases you the owner, he does not need to please anyone else, only the owner, = 3rd year you have the dog, you are reaping all the benefits, of the time and patience and work you have put into them,Now if I had a Saluki x in my young years I would have destroyed him, by wanting instant coffee, Now I am relaxed A should be next birthday 70, but still able to walk my dogs and have a bit of fun with them, Rome was not built in a day,

• Like 19

I must add that the collie x grey with coursing grey blood in the mix they were hard to beat, they were bred in the late 50s and 60s in those days dogs were kept to do there job, IE, the hill collie that worked the hills, Long legged, stood 24/25" could run, stamina, biddable, and would face up to anything take the coursing greyhound around 26/27" speed, stamina, (((( the gentry had been breeding that dog for over 150 years, competition, was immense, when you bred from those two types you had some thing decent, 2or3 out that type in a litter was good for Hares, Bambi, rabbits, the rest of the litter were only rabbit dogs but very good ones

Too true Border lad. the modern collie has changed into pet and other sub types that never existed before. most of the modern collie x's that replicate the abilities of old have had modern coursing dogs added, and/or terrier x's which appears to negate some of the less desirable modern collie traits.it "simples 'em up" a bit

Wales1234 I think that's a big statement that all collie crosses will do the foxing job! So dogs are given the best of chances just not in them! Not that it ever did bother me never been into it myself ! Ye I agree border lad I think a lot of dogs are runnied by over doing it to young! Also as a dog man it's one big learning curve ! I belive it would be a dam shame to have your best dog to be your first dog as you've not exprienced anything to bring to the hound!

• Like 1

I have to be honest here the collie x was my first Lurcher, back in 1958 I was 14 years old still at school, I wrote about this before, Now this is the crunch,

I learned with that dog by listening to older and far more experienced men, as time went on, with other dogs, I was still wanting instant coffee, but nature does not work like that, you get your pup educate him to the country side let him be a pup, the first year of that dogs life is so important, you have schooled him/her to recall, carry back to you, jump go through obstacles, and pick-up a few rabbits, he is 12 months old, everybody seems to think he or she should be working like a champion, they have only come out of the Nursery school, 2nd season rising two, they are maturing into a very nice animal,doing thinks that are putting a smile on your face, ((( thats if they are decent, and they are flying, pace, balanced and a very good strike, you come home with a smile on your face, 3 year old

now you have something, Running crafty, = first year only a baby, learning his job, 2nd year you know what you have, he may not be a world beater but he pleases you the owner, he does not need to please anyone else, only the owner, = 3rd year you have the dog, you are reaping all the benefits, of the time and patience and work you have put into them,Now if I had a Saluki x in my young years I would have destroyed him, by wanting instant coffee, Now I am relaxed A should be next birthday 70, but still able to walk my dogs and have a bit of fun with them, Rome was not built in a day,

One of the best posts I've read on here for quite a while :thumbs:

• Like 2

Many of the older people on here were brought up in an era when we didn't even own a camera, never mind posting pics on facebook, hunting forums or whatever to prove what we caught. Seen more collie x's taking fox than any other type

• Like 9