Lokking A Fox Only Bolting Terrier

Theres a few different types of fox only terriers. The first is the one that will generally stay until dug to or a bolt occurs. Then there is the type that will do the above though will also have the nose and determination to dig foxes that have been ran to ground under pressure by hounds etc. usually into tight places were the real test begins as reaching its fox by squeezing and digging on is the hardest part of this terriers task not just to stay until dug or bolted but knowing to get a result were other types will fail miserably and have done in the past many times when the first type mentioned is proven to be "not that good off a fox only terrier" afterall. Then you have the fox only bolting terrier which this thread is about. Imo work wise this is the least valued of the three as this type is not committed enough to stay until dug too, though it obviously does serve a purpose in many a mans yard as it can get results in undiggable places like rock piles and deep earths, situations were the other two are not suitable. If a bolt does not occur, then the fox is not accounted for so in that case the bolting terrier is of no use. Neither are the other types.

Was the fell terriers original job to account for foxs in places that could not be dug or was this just more shit to fill pages in books.
That would be correct FM, if the fox wouldn't bolt in an undiggable spot it would have been killed underground. Well at least presumed dead.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and if it wont bend it may snap. a good bolter or terrier that can be called of is the most usefull sort of terrier there is. if you have pest control in mind. you can have ten foxes bolted by the tim

I had this dog off milliken for a friend. The dog was described as a dog to use to bolt with but wouldn't stay long enough to have a long dig to. His description of the dog was spot on. I had the dog

For all you hard men and your dogs. This goes for any dog not just terriers. When you "test" your dog when does it prove it's self? FFS It's like a computer game, as if it completes the next level, it

Different men have different ideas all right to that man to me a fox only is just that it stays with the fox til dug or until the fox bolts from the pressure put on it by the terrier but in my eyes if you can call a dog out there will always be the doubt that it might walk without the call in my opinon it's a failed dog with no purpose or a dog that does ten or twenty mins then walks and the fox bolts it is more luck than the terriers ability another failed dog in my eyes with no pourpose and with the advances in technology there are not many earths that are undiggable an I mean earths not rock piles or such if you have a few decent men with decent dogs you will dig most earths it just depends on your commitment again only my opinion

• Like 2

Different men have different ideas all right to that man to me a fox only is just that it stays with the fox til dug or until the fox bolts from the pressure put on it by the terrier but in my eyes if you can call a dog out there will always be the doubt that it might walk without the call in my opinon it's a failed dog with no purpose or a dog that does ten or twenty mins then walks and the fox bolts it is more luck than the terriers ability another failed dog in my eyes with no pourpose and with the advances in technology there are not many earths that are undiggable an I mean earths not rock piles or such if you have a few decent men with decent dogs you will dig most earths it just depends on your commitment again only my opinion

There are innumerable locations impossible to dig,especially were the majority of decent terriers breeds evolved,thats possibly why a sounder that could bolt was prized over any other working terrier type,back in the day when terriers were grafted harder,longer and with more purpose than the majority are today,digging was the easy option brought about by the advent of technology,since technology started to play a major part in terrier work,terriers have gone backwards,get a mark and get the shovels out lads,breed them bigger,stronger,muter and less useful,the shovel and locator will amend the rest.
  • Like 2

There are innumerable locations impossible to dig,especially were the majority of decent terriers breeds evolved,thats possibly why a sounder that could bolt was prized over any other working terrier type,back in the day when terriers were grafted harder,longer and with more purpose than the majority are today,digging was the easy option brought about by the advent of technology,since technology started to play a major part in terrier work,terriers have gone backwards,get a mark and get the shovels out lads,breed them bigger,stronger,muter and less useful,the shovel and locator will amend the rest.

dig em out before they walk out haha

• Like 1

Well we can put much more work in front of our terriers now and work them in places that we wouldn't dare before. I have been out with a couple of old timers that could tell a tale and there expectations of terriers have been very low. I'd also say there was a lot of doubling up years ago I'm sure there was the odd good one.

• Like 7

Until the day I die, I will never understand the "I tested my dog" until it died mentality. As to find a dogs limits it has to die, only them will you know its limits. It's all bull $hit thought up by people to make themselves look good.

TC

yes id agree, why do people need to test the dog to the extremes, if im going out on a sunday morning for a dig if the dog digs me one im happy cant understand why people bring someone out to show off there terrier, heard one a few monthes back " bring me to the hardest deep sett you know and ill dig my terrier" f***ing fool.. go out and enoy a dig with your terrier, reminds

Like prics that buy a staff or a rottweiler to look hard.

bringing someone out to show off there terrier,and trying to maintain a high standard of terrier are two totally different things,the owner trying to keep a high standard in his stock needs no one to show off to,and must never lie to himself about his terriers.atb to all diggers or bolters

Well we can put much more work in front of our terriers now and work them in places that we wouldn't dare before. I have been out with a couple of old timers that could tell a tale and there expectations of terriers have been very low. I'd also say there was a lot of doubling up years ago I'm sure there was the odd good one.

You lads in Ireland may be able to fully test your stuff but when it was legal here there were plenty of us out everyday doing the same, we are limited now and I'm sure in time all of europe will be governed by the same rules and then it'll be yappy bolters for you as well, as for doubling up well I've travelled the country with dogs in many different area's and have never witnessed it myself, only ever heard of it by rank amateurs and there will always be plenty of them in every country, WM

Lets get this right if i take out a digging terrier tomorrow enter him into an earth with more than one eye to it and the fox bolts ,then that makes my terrier a failed digging dog, Eh. And he enters a one eye earth and he is dug to he is the dogs bollocks. lol.

Lets get this right if i take out a digging terrier tomorrow enter him into an earth with more than one eye to it and the fox bolts ,then that makes my terrier a failed digging dog, Eh. And he enters a one eye earth and he is dug to he is the dogs bollocks. lol.

I wouldn't keep a dog that does a few minutes then comes out. But I'd definitely keep a dog that will stay as long as you wish until you call it out. Now that's a dog worth its weight in gold.
  • Like 3

it is not you aim to break your dog your aim is to educate it buy putting it in as many diffrent situations as you can this way the dog keeps learning everyone has diffrent standards what suits me may not suit you and so on i dont claim to be a hard man or even a terrier man i just like to know that my dog will do the job that nature intended be it in a puppy earth of a few feet or a or a rangy place of 6 foot plus

Edited by stop.end

For all you hard men and your dogs. This goes for any dog not just terriers. When you "test" your dog when does it prove it's self? FFS It's like a computer game, as if it completes the next level, it has to go on to the next, and the next, and the next. FFS why can't you just be happy that you have a dog that does a job. Dogs are just flesh and blood just like us, we all cannot be world champions and no one (in their right mind, that is) would pretend otherwise.

So why this obsession with I must test my dog to it's limits. Any dog should be stopped before it reaches that limit and if the owner is any type of dog man he should see that the dog has given it's all before it reaches that limit.

TC

just the mentality of some people sad really what I've been reading half these blokes probably aren't the terrier men they think they are