Lokking A Fox Only Bolting Terrier

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and if it wont bend it may snap. a good bolter or terrier that can be called of is the most usefull sort of terrier there is. if you have pest control in mind. you can have ten foxes bolted by the tim

I had this dog off milliken for a friend. The dog was described as a dog to use to bolt with but wouldn't stay long enough to have a long dig to. His description of the dog was spot on. I had the dog

For all you hard men and your dogs. This goes for any dog not just terriers. When you "test" your dog when does it prove it's self? FFS It's like a computer game, as if it completes the next level, it

Imo alot but not all men with bolting terriers are the worst for bragging and bigging dogs. All you hear from them is wee got x amount this season we've some dogs you wouldnt get half that with a digging dog etc. Tbh i think there just afraid to cull tgre shite youd hear them bigging there dogs up if it was hard or a stayer as well seen it loads of times tgey swing from numbers men to the "big depths" men depending on whats in there pens at that moment and time in short mouthpieces wity the "best dogs" in the country no matter how good or bad it is.

You have to be talking about Dile a hunt,or the BOSS lol
what's a DILE ?

Imo alot but not all men with bolting terriers are the worst for bragging and bigging dogs. All you hear from them is wee got x amount this season we've some dogs you wouldnt get half that with a digging dog etc. Tbh i think there just afraid to cull tgre shite youd hear them bigging there dogs up if it was hard or a stayer as well seen it loads of times tgey swing from numbers men to the "big depths" men depending on whats in there pens at that moment and time in short mouthpieces wity the "best dogs" in the country no matter how good or bad it is.

You have to be talking about Dile a hunt,or the BOSS lol
what's a DILE ?
this thing just spells what it wants lol. The very man you still running with that crew

For all you hard men and your dogs. This goes for any dog not just terriers. When you "test" your dog when does it prove it's self? FFS It's like a computer game, as if it completes the next level, it has to go on to the next, and the next, and the next. FFS why can't you just be happy that you have a dog that does a job. Dogs are just flesh and blood just like us, we all cannot be world champions and no one (in their right mind, that is) would pretend otherwise.

So why this obsession with I must test my dog to it's limits. Any dog should be stopped before it reaches that limit and if the owner is any type of dog man he should see that the dog has given it's all before it reaches that limit.

TC

• Like 9

it is not you aim to break your dog your aim is to educate it buy putting it in as many diffrent situations as you can this way the dog keeps learning everyone has diffrent standards what suits me may not suit you and so on i dont claim to be a hard man or even a terrier man i just like to know that my dog will do the job that nature intended be it in a puppy earth of a few feet or a or a rangy place of 6 foot plus

• Like 2

For all you hard men and your dogs. This goes for any dog not just terriers. When you "test" your dog when does it prove it's self? FFS It's like a computer game, as if it completes the next level, it has to go on to the next, and the next, and the next. FFS why can't you just be happy that you have a dog that does a job. Dogs are just flesh and blood just like us, we all cannot be world champions and no one (in their right mind, that is) would pretend otherwise.

So why this obsession with I must test my dog to it's limits. Any dog should be stopped before it reaches that limit and if the owner is any type of dog man he should see that the dog has given it's all before it reaches that limit.

TC

!!

I can agree with a few sentiments on this thread, my own take on it is the terrier quite rightly needs putting to enough game and enough situations that it learns it's job. Some are naturals and some are just dumb and need the graft to learn. As for pushing a dog till it fails ! IMO if you want a terrier that quits, go look in a inexperienced terrier mans yard, he's the one tgat can't see it coming and will push a dog to far, it's not just the terriers that have to learn the job.

• Like 8

Theres a few different types of fox only terriers. The first is the one that will generally stay until dug to or a bolt occurs. Then there is the type that will do the above though will also have the nose and determination to dig foxes that have been ran to ground under pressure by hounds etc. usually into tight places were the real test begins as reaching its fox by squeezing and digging on is the hardest part of this terriers task not just to stay until dug or bolted but knowing to get a result were other types will fail miserably and have done in the past many times when the first type mentioned is proven to be "not that good off a fox only terrier" afterall. Then you have the fox only bolting terrier which this thread is about. Imo work wise this is the least valued of the three as this type is not committed enough to stay until dug too, though it obviously does serve a purpose in many a mans yard as it can get results in undiggable places like rock piles and deep earths, situations were the other two are not suitable. If a bolt does not occur, then the fox is not accounted for so in that case the bolting terrier is of no use. Neither are the other types.

Edited by THE GENERAL

Theres a few different types of fox only terriers. The first is the one that will generally stay until dug to or a bolt occurs. Then there is the type that will do the above though will also have the nose and determination to dig foxes that have been ran to ground under pressure by hounds etc. usually into tight places were the real test begins as reaching its fox by squeezing and digging on is the hardest part of this terriers task not just to stay until dug or bolted but knowing to get a result were other types will fail miserably and have done in the past many times when the first type mentioned is proven to be "not that good off a fox only terrier" afterall. Then you have the fox only bolting terrier which this thread is about. Imo work wise this is the least valued of the three as this type is not committed enough to stay until dug too, though it obviously does serve a purpose in many a mans yard as it can get results in undiggable places like rock piles and deep earths, situations were the other two are not suitable. If a bolt does not occur, then the fox is not accounted for so in that case the bolting terrier is of no use. Neither are the other types.

Was the fell terriers original job to account for foxs in places that could not be dug or was this just more shit to fill pages in books.

• Like 1

We keep trying to re-invent the wheel,fox drops in or is at home,terrier enters and either shifts it or awaits the shovels assistance,if the shovel,bar or dynamite,them old lads had a knack of blowing up rock piles,fox,s and terriers,cannot assist then its down to the terriers resolve and the owners patience,at times.The wheel as been around and round for centuries,only the broken ones ever needed fixing.

• Like 2