Hares In The Morning

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That makes sense sir, also the fact that in many areas, especially lamped, hares will and do run just as fast as in the day, use the same tactics or whatever to escape and know exactly where they are

I stick my neck on the line..   I caught double figures hares on the lamp often - more than once a week..   A lot ran double up but single as well..   The same dogs would blank or be lucky to

think if anything running for its life its going to go the best it can being being it morning noon or night lol

Posted Images

Funny that one Tiercel, but the lad who showed me how to lamp with a lurcher 30 years ago always reckoned that at 1 or 2 in the morning rabbits were furthest from home with a belly full of grass, hence they were easier to catch.

So to answer the question now is,

Is a hare first thing in the morning after being active recently but with a belly full of grass easier to catch than a hare that's been clapped all day but is empty ????

6 of one and half a dozen of the other maybe.

• Like 3

A hare run in daylight, will run the same no matter what is in its belly or if it's morning,afternoon, or early evening.

But a hare run at night is half the animal it is during the day, plenty of good Lamping dogs can take hare's on the lamp but really struggle daytime

• Like 2

I remember must be 40 years back a mates granddad telling us to go first light as they were easier to catch he was a traveler and a pot hunter not realy a courser . but he was right as I have noticed in my 40 odd years with saluki crosses. all the best two crows.

• Like 1

Funny that one Tiercel, but the lad who showed me how to lamp with a lurcher 30 years ago always reckoned that at 1 or 2 in the morning rabbits were furthest from home with a belly full of grass, hence they were easier to catch.

So to answer the question now is,

Is a hare first thing in the morning after being active recently but with a belly full of grass easier to catch than a hare that's been clapped all day but is empty ????

6 of one and half a dozen of the other maybe.

The thing with feeding rabbits it can vary from day to day, wind, rain, moon and many other factors can affect their feeding habits. Even after 50 years plus I have never really worked it out, I tend to give it my best guess, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. But that said and rabbits that are out before dawn have on average been easier for the dog.

As I stated I don't know a lot about hares, but I cannot see there being much difference.

TC

• Like 1

I don't reckon it makes any dffrence apart from at the start of season when there is plenty and as green as the grass ,the dogs make easy work of it ,by December not so easy ,same as hares big difference they wont give the dog fair law that time of year there away ATB tony

Off topic again but I think its just as unfair on the dog as it is the hare to run it in the lamp instead of daylight. Cos when the hare gets away its almost always through no fault of the dog. Always either outrun the beam, go over a brow or through a hedge. If you can keep them in the beam any half decent lurcher will stop a few without much bother. Its keeping them in the beams that's the hard part, not actually catching them. That's why my dogs got a better ratio in daylight