Allround Lamping Dog???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lurcher x lurcher done everything you asked about , even caught daytime hares

Have to laugh when you hear the coursing men go on about respect, when most of the hares end up in a ditch

Can i ask why?? Hares are a natural prey animal in my book. Although i don't bother them at all on the lamp. This is purely because i don't own dogs for that job. But if i did..i'd lamp them all night

from my angle I cant see any powder spray treatment of any kind in that wound

did I say there was any powder on it that pic ??? I said all it needed was some on , can you tell from a picture (and a bad one at that) what kind of treayment was required ??? If so do you fancy becoming my vet it would save on travelling when I need one

fact is that wound was 4 days old in that pic and was healing nicely so was left uncovered to let it get a bit of air ...

ffs youd think the dog was near amputated , it was only a wee skin tear

• Like 5

What would u say would be ideal dog for lamping big bunnys and little bunnys and the odd charlie?

big bunnies should not be lamped you want to see what your dod made of run them in the day
got to dogs bred to do it in the day and they dont no what a lamp is.. Just loads small land right on my doorstep i can run on the lamp was just wondering what would be best

Never liked lamping big bunnies they deserve better IMO

Can i ask why?? Hares are a natural prey animal in my book. Although i don't bother them at all on the lamp. This is purely because i don't own dogs for that job. But if i did..i'd lamp them all night long. Too much mystical shite surrounding the hare imo. Why should the hare get all wrapped up in cotton wool when folk deem it acceptable to lamp every other quarry. Just a genuine question. :thumbs:

• Like 7

Can i ask why?? Hares are a natural prey animal in my book. Although i don't bother them at all on the lamp. This is purely because i don't own dogs for that job. But if i did..i'd lamp them all night long. Too much mystical shite surrounding the hare imo. Why should the hare get all wrapped up in cotton wool when folk deem it acceptable to lamp every other quarry. Just a genuine question. :thumbs:

Because its a different calibre of dog that can catch a hare at night to one that can consistently kill them in the day, i think thats why people get annoyed..... but im the same as you, back when it was legal, whatever popped up in the lamo was fair game

• Like 1

Because its a different calibre of dog that can catch a hare at night to one that can consistently kill them in the day, i think thats why people get annoyed..... but im the same as you, back when it was legal, whatever popped up in the lamo was fair game

good point :thumbs: , another thing a dog that used most for lamp work (rabbits) would'nt run a hare and rabbit different . my older dog Bryn will take rabbits quick, norm 1-2strikes he nailed them. But he would have run a hare the same way, and where he bag 30 rabbits with 40 odd runs quick , not with a hare longer runs. watch good coursing dog on hare he hold back and pace him self, and should imagine he run bit similar at night if need be , not going flat out with every strike like a dog just used for lamping , well that's what ive seen over the years most good lamp dogs catch quick , in doing so save energy over the night :yes: . yeh a are hare fantastic animal in the day,and not bad in the night either . :thumbs:

• Like 1

all these coursing men go on about its unfair if they wanna see ther dogs tested run then on more than ten runs on lamp ther dogs disintegrate maybe first five runs look easy because ther racy fast but after that they haven't got what it takes ive seen it with my own eyes daytime dogs are long winded dogs a gud lamp dog will be short winded but get its wind back quick horses for courses am not saying you carent get dogs that will do both you will but they will just be medeocker at both you cant have the best of both worlds

• Like 1