Desert Island Survival - At Tomo's Request

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the "What else are you good at" thread I mentioned I lived on a desert island in the Cook Islands for 5 weeks for my 21st. TOMO said I should start a thread about that. Did consider starting a "Wha

Ray Mears is the man, not Bear.   Nice piece that Remybolt. You`re quite a narrator.       More importantly, did you take drugs with you.? No point in seclusion without getting ripped.

If i got in that situation I'd google what I needed to know hahaha

Great read mate,,, love stuff like this

Can I ask ,,,,how you got to go to that island,,,,what I mean is,,,did you just say to a local boat skipper,,,go and drop us off on that island over there,,,,,or is it advertised as a survival island ,,and you pay to stay there?

• Like 1

Great read mate,,, love stuff like this

Can I ask ,,,,how you got to go to that island,,,,what I mean is,,,did you just say to a local boat skipper,,,go and drop us off on that island over there,,,,,or is it advertised as a survival island ,,and you pay to stay there?

It was a present from my parents. They organised the whole thing. When we landed on Aitutaki we met a guy holding a sign who took us to the shops and advised us on what to purchase, e.g. machetes, metal file to sharpen the machetes, metal pots and pans, etc.

We took basic camping gear, but most of that was taken off us. No tents or anything allowed. Not even a tarp :( That would have been so much easier for water storage and shelter.

As for Bear Grylls. Respect the guy, but as an entertainer more than anything. The stuff he teaches is very likely to get you killed if you try it. The thing is, survival skills are perishable skills. So you need to practice as much as you can. Also, if you do not practice what is taught, you're 99% likely to do it wrong. Going into a survival situation if you've never had any training or experience, it's the same as going shooting when you have to build a gun that you've never shot, from scratch, without instructions, and your life depends on you getting it right very quickly. So watching the programs is entertaining, but the actual survival experience is massively different.

As you said it didn't change your life or give you an epiphany but has it changed your appreciation for anything or taking things for granted?

Cracking read by the way.

I remember thinking the most amazing thing in the world was glass. In the UK I remember standing there looking out at the rain and being amazed that I was so wonderfully dry. It was mind-blowing.

I guess, thinking about it, greater appreciation for the ease of getting food. A take away window would be my view of heaven when it was raining heavily and I was not in the mood for what was available.

• Like 2

Ray Mears is the man, not Bear.

Nice piece that Remybolt. You`re quite a narrator.

More importantly, did you take drugs with you.? No point in seclusion without getting ripped.

I'm boring when it comes to drugs. Sorry. Only drugs I've taken are steroids and performance/physique enhancers (when I was into bodybuilding) and prescription.

Never tried any other drugs. Like TV it's not that I'm against it, it's just not my thing, that's all.

What about cigars? Would they count as drugs in your eyes Rake? Nicotine in there!

Edited by RemyBolt