Terriers

Lloyd90

i dont expect my terriers to compete with a beagle. but i would be less than happy with those terriers :huh:

They didn't watch the rabbit go up the field, just followed the line of scent and were unable to make the line and carried bushing.

Just the same as a full pack of hounds would on ...say a fresh ploughed field in the wrong conditions.

There must be a lot of poor terriers out there if that's the level of your experience, I hunt all over the country with my 3 terriers and see lots of spaniel/beagle/terrier crosses out and about but nothing that comes close to a good terrier, mine are worked everyday and catch or flush to my lurcher, on average just the terriers will catch 4 or 5 bunnies and some other stuff, they listen and can be directed where they are needed, leave no stone unturned, will not go too far ahead and can follow a line as good as any beagle cross, I like my bushers close not half a field away, WM

Is it me Or are people missing the point I'm trying to make........................... A pure beagle has the ability to hold a line of scent better than any terrier.

WM...... what are you trying to say you've got the best bushing dogs in the country? :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The terriers I work and have worked with are a lot smaller than the cockers that my hunting partner uses. 6-7KG vs 12-14KG. The terriers will go places the cocker can only dream of. The terrier has a

Yeah I have to agree terriers are the ultimate busher on the right ground for reasons I've already said on this topic. Unfair or not it's a fact that hound have an ability over an earth dog. I was me

I've yet to see any terrier that will out hunt a beagle...................put I suppose what you define as hunting.   I'm a fan of bushing with terriers But sticking to line of scent you will not b

but WM if yours are plummers they are beagle x :thumbs: so they would be able to track

no dig at these dogs just the truth :thumbs:

They are Plummers but the beagle ancestry is from a long way back, many, many generations ago, its more about the size for me, some larger spaniel/beagle/terrier crosses can be too large for heavy bramble,nettles gorse,etc to be used regular, I realise they have their uses on mountain/moorland and a more open type of land and know a lot of "WELSH" lads swear by them on fox drives, I do see a lot of small cockers that work well anywhere but the damage after a good day to ears, eyes,etc can leave them laid up for periods afterwards, it is very rare to have one of my terriers not out with me in daily use, if there was something more versatile out there capable of daily use I would own it, a good Plummer/Russell or cross of the 2 cannot be beaten for regular use, my terriers will rack up numbers that most lurchers cannot achieve, atb, WM

• Like 2

Down to personal preference I think I got a spaniel beagle I like the little shit keeps me happy if terriers keep other people happy there is no such thing as a super dog as we all have different standards and preferences

• Like 2

R,A,W, no that's not what I'm saying, just the best type for me in daily use, but if you know of any terriers that can bush as well as these then lets see them, they don't miss much at all, its normally the lurcher that lets me down these days, the numbers speak for themselves over 12 months, I supply rabbits as a food source to many different outlets depending on how they are caught, the dogged and ferreted ones go for hawks, dog food, reptiles etc, the others are sold for human consumption, over 12 months on average I kill between 4 - 6 thousand, my dogs earn their keep and are not just pets, there are no small dogs of any type out there that can match the type I keep and breed at this moment in time that could improve my daily tally in my opinion or I would own them, WM

• Like 1

R,A,W, no that's not what I'm saying, just the best type for me in daily use, but if you know of any terriers that can bush as well as these then lets see them, they don't miss much at all, its normally the lurcher that lets me down these days, the numbers speak for themselves over 12 months, I supply rabbits as a food source to many different outlets depending on how they are caught, the dogged and ferreted ones go for hawks, dog food, reptiles etc, the others are sold for human consumption, over 12 months on average I kill between 4 - 6 thousand, my dogs earn their keep and are not just pets, there are no small dogs of any type out there that can match the type I keep and breed at this moment in time that could improve my daily tally in my opinion or I would own them, WM

as said a few times on this post every man wants a dog to suit them And every man sees things in dogs they like may it be plummers spaniel spaniel x beagle x TERRIERS if they please you and you pick the shit up THAT ALL THAT MATTERS :thumbs:

Its unfair to compare a terriers scenting ability to a hound or even flushing ability to a gun dog as it's the hound and the gun dogs primary function. Whereas a tykes primary function was to go to ground and scenting and flushing game is its secondry purpose . Like I said its unfair to compare a terrier to a hound but IMHO terriers are more versatile than any hound or any gun dog!

• Like 3

Yeah I have to agree terriers are the ultimate busher on the right ground for reasons I've already said on this topic. Unfair or not it's a fact that hound have an ability over an earth dog.

I was merely informing people of an observation of that ability .

Each cross or breed will have they're own use in the right environment without doubt. Bushing is a broad term that can mean walking up a hedge or strolling miles through a forest so each to they're own

• Like 4

Yeah I have to agree terriers are the ultimate busher on the right ground for reasons I've already said on this topic. Unfair or not it's a fact that hound have an ability over an earth dog.

Each cross or breed will have they're own use in the right environment without doubt. Bushing is a broad term that can mean walking up a hedge or strolling miles through a forest so each to they're own

lol yep I'll agree its a fact that a hound does have better scenting abilities than a terrier , otherwise you'd have century's of men in red coats riding horses with packs of terriers ?

lol yep I'll agree its a fact that a hound does have better scenting abilities than a terrier , otherwise you'd have century's of men in red coats riding horses with packs of terriers ?

:) tally ho dear boy :)

Surely the whole point of a bushing terrier is NOT to have a dog that will run a line for several fields on quarry it has little hope of catching?

IMO a bushing terrier should stay fairly close to you, be biddable enough to go into and come out of cover when told to/called (unless its right up to its quarry and on the point of catching) and provide catches for dogs on the outside of the cover. That's the way I use mine anyway: to flush game for the lurchers, though of course they do catch a fair few in cover themselves.

If I wanted to watch a dog follow scent for miles I would get a beagle. Horses for courses and different dogs for different jobs.

• Like 2