Terriers

Lloyd90

Yeah I have to agree terriers are the ultimate busher on the right ground for reasons I've already said on this topic. Unfair or not it's a fact that hound have an ability over an earth dog.

I was merely informing people of an observation of that ability .

Each cross or breed will have they're own use in the right environment without doubt. Bushing is a broad term that can mean walking up a hedge or strolling miles through a forest so each to they're own

lol yep I'll agree its a fact that a hound does have better scenting abilities than a terrier , otherwise you'd have century's of men in red coats riding horses with packs of terriers

Many a terrier of old was expected to hunt for and with,plus follow the hounds until needed,something some re-create now with lurchers,minus hounds,mind you a lot of hound lads still utilise terriers to their best advantage,bushing,flushing and bolting.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The terriers I work and have worked with are a lot smaller than the cockers that my hunting partner uses. 6-7KG vs 12-14KG. The terriers will go places the cocker can only dream of. The terrier has a

Yeah I have to agree terriers are the ultimate busher on the right ground for reasons I've already said on this topic. Unfair or not it's a fact that hound have an ability over an earth dog. I was me

I've yet to see any terrier that will out hunt a beagle...................put I suppose what you define as hunting.   I'm a fan of bushing with terriers But sticking to line of scent you will not b

I wouldn't want a terrier entering cover if its told, I would want it entering if there something in it

Its handy to be able to direct the bushers at times,certain areas and cover are the domain of less desirables.

• Like 2

Surely the whole point of a bushing terrier is NOT to have a dog that will run a line for several fields on quarry it has little hope of catching?

IMO a bushing terrier should stay fairly close to you, be biddable enough to go into and come out of cover when told to/called (unless its right up to its quarry and on the point of catching) and provide catches for dogs on the outside of the cover. That's the way I use mine anyway: to flush game for the lurchers, though of course they do catch a fair few in cover themselves.

If I wanted to watch a dog follow scent for miles I would get a beagle. Horses for courses and different dogs for different jobs.

How are your pups doing,grown abit now?

I think they'll be as big, if not bigger than their dam: little buggers are getting out of the garden everywhere: talk about inquisitive. Doing my head in trying to block all the gaps up: very crafty little critters indeed. I shall get my camera fixed soon: before they're all grown up I hope!

• Like 1

I think they'll be as big, if not bigger than their dam: little buggers are getting out of the garden everywhere: talk about inquisitive. Doing my head in trying to block all the gaps up: very crafty little critters indeed. I shall get my camera fixed soon: before they're all grown up I hope!

It's amazing how small a gap they can squeeze through isn't it, lol

Hi skycat how goes it, rabbiting man off here has a terrier that he said he got from you i think its a russell type called copper and from what iv'e seen from the vids that he posted it is one off the best terriers i have seen a really good little dog i can't fault it in anyway atb daywalker.

Nice to hear good feedback about them. They don't behave like typical terriers at all: very intelligent in a more hound-like way: there is supposed to be both Beagle and Bull blood way back, and no, they've not got any Plummer blood in them. I saw the grandparents of the first bitch I got from the line, and they looked like smallish Bull type terriers with big floppy ears and Beagle colouring, and long houndy snouts. God knows what's in them: bit of this, bit of that, but they do hunt well and are very biddable too. I guess if I'm still around when the current pups are old enough it might be interesting to put a bit of Beagle back into the line ... just a little bit mind you :laugh:

• Like 1

Hi skycat how goes it, rabbiting man off here has a terrier that he said he got from you i think its a russell type called copper and from what iv'e seen from the vids that he posted it is one off the best terriers i have seen a really good little dog i can't fault it in anyway atb daywalker.

Nice to hear good feedback about them. They don't behave like typical terriers at all: very intelligent in a more hound-like way: there is supposed to be both Beagle and Bull blood way back, and no, they've not got any Plummer blood in them. I saw the grandparents of the first bitch I got from the line, and they looked like smallish Bull type terriers with big floppy ears and Beagle colouring, and long houndy snouts. God knows what's in them: bit of this, bit of that, but they do hunt well and are very biddable too. I guess if I'm still around when the current pups are old enough it might be interesting to put a bit of Beagle back into the line ... just a little bit mind you :laugh:

His terrier does seem to hunt like a hound constantly casting about looking for scent and it has alot of drive as well by the looks of it, also very obedient just a couple of toots on the whistle and she is straight back. The one i have at the moment is a small mixed breed type of terrier i don't know exactly what but she is coming on great, she is just coming to a year old now but this will be her first proper season her only drawback is she is a typical terrier meaning she tends to go deaf when she hits a fresh scent ect but hopefully i can nip it in the bud sooner rather than later atb daywalker.

day and night walker . . . . I've got a bitch here also from Skycat, same way bred has the bitch of Rabbiting man's but from a previous litter. My bitch is 6 yr old now where as I think the other's are around 4.

Mine is also a cracking bushing bitch that I use to flush for the lurchers . . . Rabbits etc etc :thumbs: Very biddable type of terrier aswell that I call a Russell type. What I like about her, she just doesn't hunt thing's that are definitely about but is constantly hunting / looking for scent . . . A real busy dog.

She's just started spotting aswell (coming into season) . . . . Shall I or sharnt I :hmm:

Been pushing thru some thick bramble here . . . .

xmas012_zps2694b657.jpg

• Like 1

day and night walker . . . . I've got a bitch here also from Skycat, same way bred has the bitch of Rabbiting man's but from a previous litter. My bitch is 6 yr old now where as I think the other's are around 4.

Mine is also a cracking bushing bitch that I use to flush for the lurchers . . . Rabbits etc etc :thumbs: Very biddable type of terrier aswell that I call a Russell type. What I like about her, she just doesn't hunt thing's that are definitely about but is constantly hunting / looking for scent . . . A real busy dog.

She's just started spotting aswell (coming into season) . . . . Shall I or sharnt I :hmm:

Been pushing thru some thick bramble here .

Lovely looking dog very similar to rabbiting man's in looks and workwise by the sound of it, as far as breeding her i would say deffo fella but what would you put to her. atb daywalker

• Like 1

I would like another Russell type mate, smooth or broken coat which is a good biddable dog in cover. Not looking for a hard type of terrier that is been used for digging to every week, that type of work doesn't really interest me. Always thought about taking a bitch pup from her to keep on, it's just about finding the right stud dog :hmm:

Anybody know of any that fits the bill ? ?

I would like another Russell type mate, smooth or broken coat which is a good biddable dog in cover. Not looking for a hard type of terrier that is been used for digging to every week, that type of work doesn't really interest me. Always thought about taking a bitch pup from her to keep on, it's just about finding the right stud dog :hmm:

Anybody know of any that fits the bill ? ?

wirrall man i think has some russell types that see plenty of graft above ground. anyway good luck breeze, daywalker.