Single Dog Bushing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was to go bushing with only one dog then it would have to be a dog I liked...then it'd be easier to come home smiling if we came home with nothing in the bag.

two of the best bushing dogs iv had find a rabbit in the desert these two

tatsblisters your post takes me back, we hunted the pits as youngsters, round the pit yard as the men went about there work on the pit top, no health and safety in them days, dogs were collected on r

Posted Images

i used to love single dog bushing. mainly mink. and the odd rabbit. with a terrier you need to watch for setts or earths. you would be better off with a crossbred. bushing is bushing. no matter what type you use. i would plump for a smaller fast sort with a dash of whippet or greyhound. as it will improve your chances of catching your supper once in a blue moon. remember that single dog bushing is a a team of two. and not a spectator sport. this makes it a lot more likely to result in success also. and doubles the enjoyment :yes: .

attachicon.gifDSC_0015.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0504.JPG

this little plummer can find and move rabbits in her sleep. but if i am to take one dog and have a good chance of bringing home my dinner i take my little lurcher . just saying. ;)

spot on :thumbs:

• Like 1

the plummers catch the odd one. but with my help the lurcher will nab more than the terriers. although he would'nt if i didnt play my part. :D . great fun to be had bushing with one dog. done right it tends to cause more injuries to man than dog :laugh::laugh:

• Like 2

back in the day a mate of mine had a corgi x russell that was mustard at catching in cover he would work down a hedge stop point and dive 9 times out of ten he,d come out with a rabbit if i could have just one dog that would have been the one

• Like 1

Even though over the years i have preferd the small type springers i have bred and owned the bushing dogs that stick in my mind years ago were mongrels we would borrow and take out as younguns hunting the pit stacks and railway banks and wat we northeners call shitbeds [sewerage works]

• Like 5

tatsblisters your post takes me back, we hunted the pits as youngsters, round the pit yard as the men went about there work on the pit top, no health and safety in them days, dogs were collected on route from old chaps around us, all types x breds and they soon got the idea of bushing , and my grew did the easy bit, could even use the canteen for cheap breakfast ;)

• Like 6

same here when I was a young lad and when I came out of the forces I got a job working in the same pit and now I still mooch about the same land infact me and my mate just got back off the pit rucks :thumbs:

• Like 2

same here street dogs a lab x alsation that had a great nose an was like a jcb at moving earth. a pointy eared colie bitch with 3 legsthat killed plenty rabbits. an a Lakeland x that loved feather an was a great shoplifter barred in every shop on the road :laugh:

I used to use the patt Jack x and the staff. The terrier was just on it too much over driven and would fuuck off down a bloody Warren, the staff was an absolute pleasure to watch she understood, she would drive to guns or dogs and would open up on quarry to let you know cracking dog if I could have put them together I reckon the pups would have been feckin good bushers

• Like 1

the plummers catch the odd one. but with my help the lurcher will nab more than the terriers. although he would'nt if i didnt play my part. :D . great fun to be had bushing with one dog. done right it tends to cause more injuries to man than dog :laugh::laugh:

You are right about getting more hurt than the dog, you wouldn't want to see my legs but if you ever did you would think that i self harmed.

• Like 3

same here in the welsh valleys lads back in the day we would work any mongrel terrier heinz 57 or spaniel cross with a old flapping greyhound to do the running we would be out at first light and not get in till dark most days we would not catch much but the craic was good happy days

Ive little interest in having a busher and expecting it to catch,to me that is never their purpose,they are there to push the tightest of cover,at speed,flushing to the runners or gun.If i only had one it would have to be a Bedlington,any terrier type will bush to a standard its educated to,Beddy,s,to me,have the edge when it comes to versatility,covering the ground and obstacles and drawing the least attention to the owners activities.

• Like 1