Single Dog Bushing

I think any terrier would take to bushing given the chance, my terrier and lurcher seem to work as a team if my lurcher is marking the terrier will go in, or if the terriers bushing the lurcher knows exactly where to stand ready, both my dogs are really soft and don't destroy the rabbits thankfully! http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad160/kps1/16B91A1D-E32A-47DA-A44B-4D62831FCCD5-1026-000001C0C5642CC6_zpsae4de8c0.mp4

• Like 2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was to go bushing with only one dog then it would have to be a dog I liked...then it'd be easier to come home smiling if we came home with nothing in the bag.

two of the best bushing dogs iv had find a rabbit in the desert these two

tatsblisters your post takes me back, we hunted the pits as youngsters, round the pit yard as the men went about there work on the pit top, no health and safety in them days, dogs were collected on r

Posted Images

no pic

I think any terrier would take to bushing given the chance, my terrier and lurcher seem to work as a team if my lurcher is marking the terrier will go in, or if the terriers bushing the lurcher knows exactly where to stand ready, both my dogs are really soft and don't destroy the rabbits thankfully! http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad160/kps1/16B91A1D-E32A-47DA-A44B-4D62831FCCD5-1026-000001C0C5642CC6_zpsae4de8c0.mp4

no pic :thumbs:

Nice little vid mate, must get out and vid mine.

bushing isn't rocket science the basics is a terrier a hound or a spaniel or a combination of any them, that ok if you want killed the odd one an scare a few. To increase the bag you need a lurcher one that can take a knock an one that has an understanding of the bushing dogs job, He a bit like lord who ever an his team beaters they do the dirty work an he gets his photo in the shooting times...You cant have cant have the complete package all rolled into one

My Busher, no good on his own, runners defo needed.

70d9efdb1e802f451af5ee3673cee9ae.jpg

• Like 3

That's a perfect way to explain it Neal. I had some great times with my old border, we didn't always catch but we always had fun and if I could bring him back I'd go back to that way of hunting in a flash.

My little jack russell catches the most out of all my dogs.....she's small and slow. If I was to say which dog would be the most suited as a single bushing catch dog....a good old fashioned jack russell.... Not from hardcore earth stock though. Not without their faults though. I don't particularly class whirriers as bushing dogs.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 2

What about the bull whippet or beddy whippet type lurchers as bushing dogs? Any experience with these?

There lurchers to me...and not bushing dogs, more jack of all........if your lucky would make a poor bushing dog compared to a proper bushing type dog, not saying you wouldn't have dome good sport.

Didn't you have a young jack russell not long back ........ Or was that someone else?

If so how's it doing?

Edited by wuyang

Get yourself a little jack russell perfect for bushing one man one dog Make sure though it's from hunting stock They are easy keep ,have the heart of a lion ,and will hunt anything ,rabbit rat .cracking little watch dog .then will sit by the fire nice and quiet until its time for its next outing

• Like 1

i used to love single dog bushing. mainly mink. and the odd rabbit. with a terrier you need to watch for setts or earths. you would be better off with a crossbred. bushing is bushing. no matter what type you use. i would plump for a smaller fast sort with a dash of whippet or greyhound. as it will improve your chances of catching your supper once in a blue moon. remember that single dog bushing is a a team of two. and not a spectator sport. this makes it a lot more likely to result in success also. and doubles the enjoyment :yes: .

post-2078-0-10582000-1406885009.jpg

post-2078-0-23650200-1406885098.jpg

this little plummer can find and move rabbits in her sleep. but if i am to take one dog and have a good chance of bringing home my dinner i take my little lurcher . just saying. ;)

• Like 2