Funny How Things Have Changed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

am i reading this right your only 23 and would hate to be young again ?lol

Crossing the river to ride the pit ponies .... Grass bank sliding when the summer came then sledging the same hill in the winter ..spending days on the mountain wimberry picking and selling them by th

when i was a lad,my old man would pull up on the estate take the shotty out the boot no gun bag throw a couple dead bunnies over his shoulder and walk across the green into the house no one batted an

Wearing me wellies even through the summer to play in the dykes and ditches. Coming home with the red line round your calf's where the wellies were constantly slapping. Sneaking out with me dad's greyhounds when he was at work and letting em chase owt that moved up the fields lol. Had many a good hiding for that. 2p bus rides travelling all over . Trying to fit your hand up the chute on the bubbly machines that used to be outside shops to get a free bubbly. Going anywhere and everywhere without a care in the world and only coming home when you were literally starving.

• Like 2

I feel quite jealous reading some of this !! ...our days were filled making devious plans to jump the postman/milkman or playing 3 and in or all day runouts while trying to avoid the innevitable clashes with rival groups of 12 year olds off other estates :D .........................digging foxes,making dens and crossbows,lucky fuckers ! .....Enjoyable read this :thumbs:

but gnasher, some great things about being a feral kid in london : the allotments down at catford seemed like sherwood forest; you could have all sorts of fun hunting foxes and rats there as well as foxing on the disused railway embankments (used to be a good stretch from hither green to grove park)

and, playing on the old bomb sites and scrap yards (all gone now, but plenty when i grew up). pram wheels for go carts, bicycle spokes for arrows for home made crossbows and the blokes down there might have a few ballbearings they would give you for your catapults

we'd go out as early as we could, me and two of my brothers (the older ones would be at work) and come home when the street lights came on. one of the estates had a pack of stray dogs that were happy to chase you, but we would turn the tables and hunt them down with water pistols. or creep up on the tramps outside the odeon at deptford, and when you got as close as you dared you'd suddenly scream something at them and run, and when they chased you you'd be legging it , shitting yourself but crying with laughter at the same time. yep, would have preferred to grow up somewhere rural, but we certainly made the most of being where we were1

Great stuff.....i clearly remember the rats round the back of Petticoat Lane or Smithfield they traumatised me for life the horrible little c**ts ....rats,mice they still give me the f****n horrors to this day :icon_redface: ......one of our favorites was going climbing around the motors at the scrap yards with a list of parts and walking out paying for a wing mirror !!.....if/when they caught you there was none of this phoning plod lark either !!......Or going over the yards fighting with the p***y kids....first one i ever had a fight with said to me " how you want it clean or dirty ? "......." clean you little c**t " i says........wallop nearly lifts me off my feet with a swift boot in the bollocks :D .......or playing dares.... things like " i dare you to climb to the 5th floor of Jackson House up the balconies "......or playing knock down ginger at nutty Normans and seeing if you could make it to the end of the balcony before he opened the door and shot you with his air rifle......funny days............

Getting the shit kicked out of us down the Hammers at 14 was like a breath of fresh air after that lot !

Same same! We did all this, summer holidays we were posted missing all day every day, fishing, air guns, dens, hanging round the flyover on the M74 to see if any of the rigs lost enough rope to make a swing!

Autumn, down the Clydeside to raid the orchards, me ma used to give me a list of the fruit she wanted for jam making!! I think she got so used to my antics that she gave up trying to stop me and put me to use instead....grabbing tumshies or tatties out of the parks....great fun.

Although one farmer up Quarter way caught us up the tree one day and tied a psycho Fresian bull to the tree, left us up there for hours...

I had my one and only push bike when I was 10, sold it to a mate for a tencer and bought my first lurcher, Patch....that was me then, away running rabbits with Patch...used to hand them round to the old folks as we had so many....Patch was a dab hand on the free range chickens too...

I will endevour to make sure my kids get as much outdoor time as possible, they are already used to me hanging stuff up on hooks and come out to watch the deer getting butchered or fish getting cleaned....I have a wee 410 for them when they are big enough to handle a weapon....they both know that the dogs are workers and are not like other peoples dogs, apart from when they are old, like the greyhound....gets to sleep inside!

The kids next door asked me if I wanted a water fight yesterday

It was crap

They ran off after the first kettle full

Kids today got no staying power

Throwing boiling water over them is a bit too far haha

Building dens, big ones double deckers ect, collecting frogs and newts making wee ponds for them, playing 2 man hunt for hours on end, whole street out playing rounders till midnight while all the parents sat out talking! Defo different days now! Kids all seem to be bored as f**k! Remember last summer I showed my son and his mates how to play dead man fall and they were at it for hours!!