National Service ... Yes Or No ???

Whilst sat watching the heroes of D day and the type of young men they must have been ... Kids as young as 15 bluffing their way into the army and giving the ultimate sacrifice I can't help but wonder what would happen now ... I honestly believe the youth of today would fail to meet the mark by a long way ....

Would bringing back national service steer our youngsters back along the right path ??? .......

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few reasons socks Well this is just my opinion,   First point some lads are just not cut out for that. I'm sure we all know the type I mean. It would prob drive them to suicide   Second I d

NO!

Bring it back teach them some respect

I don't think it'd fix the problem but I also don't necessarily see it as a bad idea.

How much would it cost the country though? And for what return? Would it really promote national pride and resposibility or just deeper resentment from the youth? f**k knows.

• Like 1

I think kids would be too fat to deal with it. You'd be looking at a lot of child heart bypass issues haha

In the US nearly half of their serving soldiers are overweight and nearly one in five are obese!

In the UK it's a growing problem, fitness tests being failed over hundreds of times per year in certain regiments. Soldiers being discharged with obesity. LOL.

Don't worry about potential conscripts, the f***ing regulars have a bad enough problem!

• Like 1

Few reasons socks

Well this is just my opinion,

First point some lads are just not cut out for that.

I'm sure we all know the type I mean.

It would prob drive them to suicide

Second I don't have one iota of confidence or trust in governments.

And lastly a decent democratic nation does not force it's people to be soldiers.

I strongly believe that if the uk was faced with an invasion there would be no shortage of Brits signing up to defend the island.

• Like 17

Scot, what about something in line with the Germans (dunno if it still exists but used to), where you get a choice between military service of health/social care? For me national service would simply be two years spent in service of your country in any sector you were needed/wanted to work in, ie defence, education, health/social or even diplomatic.

big difference between a conscript and a regular!!, i agree that some form of home service would be a good thing but how much would it cost and who would pay for it, more to the point would today s youth accept it

I think it would be a great idea, even if only for 3 months. Could be a good oppurtunity for youths who wouldnt get to see much outside of their little world, open their eyes and possibly make for better characters.

I applied and was refused into the army, probably wouldnt have lasted that long anyway!

• Like 2