Loaning Terriers...

What is the Pros & Cons of Loaning a TERRIER :hmm:

For me ,Dogs Mine to do as I please,no strings attached..So wouldn't Take one on..Flip side ,wouldn't Loan a Dog ,I couldn't help interferring in HOW dog was Kept, worked, thus would maybe Hamstring someone...just end in a Fallout..

Your Thoughts Gents ..Has it been a good thing or a Ball ache for you ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a few mates that I would loan a dog ( if I had plenty myself ) and know it would probably get looked after as good if not better than there own. If you know how a man keeps his yard ,how he l

No done it much but there a guy, member on here who let's us take his dogs out for a fox if we need, he's a decent guy and knows that if we put the dog in we won't be leaving it, he trusts us, and tha

Only loan dogs to lads you graft them with,mostly it works out fine for both parties,mostly.Its handy to gift a dog or two about,you have breeding thats being worked that you can fall back on,you may

No done it much but there a guy, member on here who let's us take his dogs out for a fox if we need, he's a decent guy and knows that if we put the dog in we won't be leaving it, he trusts us, and that's enough for us

• Like 6

i loaned a little russell to a pal in wales. ended up i couldnt tear the dog away from them lol. turned out good for all concerned . the dog worked many seasons with him and was well cared for. :yes: it would have to be close trusted friends. and still could end in tears

• Like 2

In my "Green" days I was "Gifted" a dog,for to turn up one day ,Dog was off to new Pastures :whistling: The Giftee..sent someone round to fetch dog back when I wasn't there.

It was Duly handed over as the Person was "Trusted" those involved..Still haven't forgot or Forgiven.. :diablo:

Loaning I suppose You Know what COULD happen..Gifting don't expect it :wallbash:

This loaning dogs out is an English thing the stories I've heard over the year's is unreal about lads loaning Dogs out to best friends I've witnessed a toe da toe over dog's not being given back to its rightful owner???? Me I just give fook all out lol

Only loan dogs to lads you graft them with,mostly it works out fine for both parties,mostly.Its handy to gift a dog or two about,you have breeding thats being worked that you can fall back on,you may lose what you have at home,theft,lost at work or even disease etc.Having a known dog about that you can take back on,or have a couple of pups from,as saved many a kennel.Its been the ruination of many a partnership though,trust is a double edged sword.

• Like 6

They'd be people who would have you thinking that they have given you a dog, then they be round after a while to borrower, and you wouldn't see again, they had them sold, to try an impressed guy's. A genuine man, would give fair, you have to really know who's who. Id never bother, to many head workers

A mate of mine loaned a terrier out to a few lads, the dog only had a handful of digs over it, either way the dog was returned to his yard, while he was at work. A text message was sent saying they had missed him but dog returned, cheers and catch up later. I knew nothing about it until he rang me and asked me to call round to his. The same guy would be a bit green when it comes to stuff and they'd obviously taken the piss out off him, I couldn't understand why he lent if out in the first place, when he was getting it dug over at a nice pace for its age with us, so it wasn't as if it was lying up going to waste. I called around and it wasn't nice, I reckon the dog had been doubled up. Either way got it sorted and give him what he needed to put it right. Rang him the next evening to see how things were and he'd pts the dog, said it had deteriated badly overnight and in the morning. That was his choice, It was too late for me to have any impact in the situation. He kibbles about now with ferrets and lurchers and is happy enough. Never really ran it past him but I know he got a sickner over that scenario. Don't blame him tbh. Thats the "con" side of lending a terrier in that context.

if i had a dog i couldent get enugh work for but was ready to go or a dog that was going well but i couldent work it for what ever reason then i would loan it out to a very select bunch of people! its better than selling it and later needing it.....i couldent sleep knowing ive a good dog in a kennel wanting or needing work and i couldent give it to it. but a pall down the road is screaming out for a dog for the season......

but like i say it would be a VERY select few.....2 lads i can think of

• Like 2

If you were trying to establish a line, it takes a hell of a lot of breeding, and it might be very difficult to get each young terrier enough graft, so some folk will dish them out to friends, pest controllers, terriermen etc who can graft them, and if they make the grade they can be included in the breeding program.

• Like 1