how do you get on with the horse meat gaz ,? I tried it years ago and it went straight threw the dogs as in did you have any problems to start with..

And I mean I fed for a few weeks too ...

we used to get loads of beef too from my mate who worked at the local foxhunt I would go and help him skinning and I would get whatever I could carry home with me lol

dogs look good anyway so I assume its doing the job .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not trying to make a dick out of you .... Your doing a perfectly good job of that on your own ..... Now again back up your theory with evidence ..... My dogs get fed around 90% beef and work seve

You'll be in trouble if Social Serivces catch you feeding your kids butchers waste ...

No 90% of the meat I feed is beef ... I also feed them hare rabbit venison chicken lamb ... Whatever I get ... But my butcher generally gives me beef off cuts ... Chicken doesn't have the fats that be

Posted Images

My dogs are fed mostly on tripe and butchers trimmings and any other stuff that can be got including trimmings from the odd deer that i shoot witrh no effects but i once a few year ago fed them horse meat and it went through them like castrol oil through a cat and they actually faded away in the 3-4 days they were scouring,probably my own fault for feeding them too much too soon.

Just sourced me self a nice little lamb neck back and ribs supply twice a week. Gunna need a bigger freezer :D:toast:

What about your dog meat? :laugh:

Some of what I used to bring back looked good enough to stew or curry .

Only thing used to upset the dogs was pig trotters ,dunno why.

That horse meats terrible for giving the trots :angel:

i've never had a problem feeding horsemeat, i think sandymere is right and it depends how slowly new items are introduced to the diet. i think it also depends what the dog has been getting beforehand too. i have soemtimes fed flesh that is a bit "high" if left out of the fridge a bit long and the dogs have no problems with that either. feeding bone with the meat helps stop any looseness.

its important to differentiate between loose faeces and diarrhoea. flesh alone can make slightly soft dung, and lights, melts and liver can cause a black tarry dung; nothing to worry about but certainly not what we generally consider as "normal". diarhoea on the other hand is watery, often stinks, and is a sign of illness, or imbalance in the digestive system. so if you have been feeding horsemeat for some time and the dung isn't right, was it actually diarrhoea, or just the fact that this rich, dark meat produces a looser stool?

• Like 1

Just sourced me self a nice little lamb neck back and ribs supply twice a week. Gunna need a bigger freezer :D:toast:

What about your dog meat? :laugh:

Some of what I used to bring back looked good enough to stew or curry .

Only thing used to upset the dogs was pig trotters ,dunno why.

That horse meats terrible for giving the trots :angel:

This is as fresh as you can get lol..so yes..good enough to stew. Mine love pigs trotters and no ill effects shites wise. Never had horsemeat so don't know how they'd fare on it tbh.

The horse meat had never affected my 2 with regards to loose stools. But I know a few lads who can't feed it for exactly that reason.

I think if it's introduced slowly. Half a pound with other meat and bone and pasta etc then should be ok.

Beef alone will be too rich. Chicken is better

Absolute nonsense ........

my dogs are feed almost compleatly on beef...fallen stock like just hack a lump off with the cleaver...i had 2 calves hanging last week and this week its 3 herdwick hoggs still on the hoof..i feed with a little brown bred and abit of veg a few days a week but normaly only bone and meat...with raw fish whole a day a week like flounder or half a mullet ect

When ever your offered a horse or pony always find out how the horse was destroyed.

Some vets will kill a horse with a general anesthetic and enough to kill a horse will kill a pack of hounds.

Always make sure the horse was shot.

Edited by neil cooney

Quite enjoy catching a trout or 2 a week for the dogs just gut em out and feed them as they are my lot love them.

Same here. We go regular and the dogs get a couple a week.

My daughter loves it so it's a win-win situation...

791CFA2D-4206-475F-8DB0-782F1B9CC4AD_zps

• Like 1