Breeding Collie X Greyhounds

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will find that most people who are breeding a litter of lurchers will use a greyhound bitch and a collie dog .. Why is it because this is the best way around? ... No it's because a farmer doesn't

With this traditional cross,..I feel that the Greyhound blood matters, just as much as the Sheepdog contribution..   The Greyhound can offer a whole lot more to the mix, than just , out and out spee

Interesting data,...   Only a fool, chooses to ignore scientific facts and well researched information,.but...   It would be equally foolish,.. to ignore one's heart....

Posted Images

I have border collies and beardies. It's because one of my border collie sheepdogs is a real leggy sharp sort he's trained as a sheepdog not for anything else and I was wundering if that's the sort that people whant for the cross as I would love to see what pups would be like.

One thing to consider is that it's only the bitch which passes on her mitochondrial DNA.

in lay mans terms Neal , whats that mate lol, all I know is any x if 1x what ever the breed its 4/8 s / 4/8s , and supposedly the same % . But ive heard a lot of people say the bitches genes do seem to dominate more as the base line , to a greyhound sire .? it deff did with my pup, and the rest of litter , as they 6 pups deff took to her, but size I think to the sire 29in greyhound .

:hmm:Bred this type of lurcher,..both ways,..some were a success,.. and some were not.. :yes:

Greyhounds and Sheepdogs vary in their physical construction, and certainly in their temperament...

You get all stamps of Greyhound, big chunky un's and small racy feckers,.same with sheepdogs,..some look like long rangy, black and white foxes, whilst others resemble Heinze 59 street hackers :laugh:

Both real different animals,..so personally, I would forget about searching for long tall Sally from the high Peaks or trying to get a line, off last years Derby winner,..and instead,...go for a pair of sensible determined, confident critters,..nice friendly, honest genuine canines,..beasts that are worth breeding from,...good future pals,...that look you straight in the eye..... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

One thing to consider is that it's only the bitch which passes on her mitochondrial DNA.

in lay mans terms Neal , whats that mate lol, all I know is any x if 1x what ever the breed its 4/8 s / 4/8s , and supposedly the same % . But ive heard a lot of people say the bitches genes do seem to dominate more as the base line , to a greyhound sire .? it deff did with my pup, and the rest of litter , as they 6 pups deff took to her, but size I think to the sire 29in greyhound .

Are you saying a 1st cross will always result in pups of equal percentage or that sometimes they will throw one way or another?

Can't work out what you are trying to say mate?

Long time ago i put a average 27" track greyhound dog over a 23" border collie bitch that refused to work the woolly backs .

I lost the top of my finger in the process as the greyhound bit it off lol

Kept 2 bitches and worked them on Rabbits, Hare, Fox.

They were a bit like chalk and cheese but did very well.

I cried like a baby when they died.

• Like 1