Collie Brains

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept crossbred herding dogs,..all my life,...used other types, for other business, and enjoyed them immensely, but I always return to the mongrel curs..As for brains,.well,... I've seen some ree

Weasel,,, I don't think bulls get enough credit,,in the brains department,,,some of them are incredibly intelligent ,,,in fact more often than not,,more intelligent than the other end of the lead,,,lo

If your collie x is too slow to catch fookall or is a jacker you can always find other uses, nothing more silly than a man chasing after his own hat    

Posted Images

I remember a long time reading a plumber book and i only read one or two,Now from what i understand he did more to publicize a collie x than probably any ones ever done for any dog,yet although he put a positive slant on it he admitted if you pushed them to hard they would say no.

Yet to even suggest it might happen has shocked.

No need to put down dogs though its just a thought on the internet.

Just putting on my trainers then of to smash some Fox's.

Don't you mean Phloxes?

I dug out a few old Plummer books recently, and IMO most of what he wrote was fantasy and dreams. Not knocking him as he can't defend himself. As I've said, I've always been a collie x supporter, and the best I've known have had summat else in the mix. As a hunters type, rather than a slippers type dog they add far more than just brains. For me it's the mental and physical robustness that the best specimens exhibit that stands the test of time.

Dont think many lads would disagrea with you,But he did have a good understanding of dogs imo.

Couldnt really disagrea with the rest either,except the slipper dogs i dont really know what they are darcy seems to have them trained better than i would train a collie x.

LOL :icon_redface:

Your right socks we should all be playing what shall i call my puppy and whats your favourite football team. :laugh:

What the fukc are you on about ? ........

Lol No need to be ignorant..

Ok what is that statement meant to mean ........

I think he means that although folk may disagree with each other, its better to be reading a debate such as this, than another, what shall i call my puppy? thread.

I'd say Plummer did a lot to falsely hold up the collie x as a wonder dog, but then it was all a marketing campaign.

But some folk just like collies.

The first two dogs I ever hunted were both straight collies. They also worked stock, and were general all round companion dogs to me as a kid.

There is just something about them I like, including many of their weird ways.

Having said that, in getting a pup I wanted to add something else as well, to even out some of the other traits maybe, and because I can see the sense in a bit of bull, so to speak.

Mind you a little collie goes far, mine only has maybe 1/4 collie, probably less, and from several gens back on both sides, but its come out strong in both her appearance and character.

So we'll see if she stalks, pulls up, jacks or what.

Fingers crossed :laugh:

Fair play :thumbs:

There just lurchers lads,Ive probally had lurchers with more collie in it than that without knowing it was even there :laugh:

If it shows any kind of cunning you will say its collie,if it smashes de fox you will say its from the bull,yet it could be complete opposite.

You get a much more well rounded type dog from a mix imo.

Certain publications have popularised the Collie lurcher for the tyro,..but others already knew the score :thumbs:

Yes maybe.

If a tyro is a lad that hunts for no other reason than he loves it I'm glad to be one.

Lads you can have a night with if, your dogs a donkey they tell you its a donkey,If it looks like a donkey and runs like a demon they tell you that,And if your dogs makes a show of you they send you away with a few things they would try.No egos no motive's,no smoke blowing :thumbs:

• Like 1

My Collie/Whippet is plenty intelligent for my liking, as for a rabbiting dog she is just what I wanted in a little lurcher, which come with faults, yes she not perfect. Plus what is it with folk these days arguing over a certain lurchers traits, all is me missing something.

1381681_375098675966363_879898222_n.jpg

1960066_375098029299761_801396599_n.jpg

1926859_375098479299716_1354943817_n.jpg

1969183_375098819299682_1325377544_n.jpg

1977373_375098829299681_434305036_n.jpg

• Like 7

Plus what is it with folk these days arguing over a certain lurchers traits, all is me missing something.

You're not missing a thing matey, its 'silly season', it starts right after the 'hunting season' every year on here :laugh: :laugh:

Great little vid, I never get sick of seeing a steathy lurcher tip toeing and pre-empting a bolt like that :thumbs: Saying that I think that bitch was thinking a bit too much :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 2

Lads you can have a night with if, your dogs a donkey they tell you its a donkey,If it looks like a donkey and runs like a demon they tell you that,And if your dogs makes a show of you they send you away with a few things they would try.No egos no motive's,no smoke blowing :thumbs:

Who's 'If' ? and is this some kind of special assessment he is offering for collie types, or any dog? :hmm: Basically can you explain the above it doesn't make any sense?

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 1

Collie brains,,i think it should have read dog owners brains, i own both collie greyhounds and saluki greyhounds and have to say they are a completely different mind set,i will give a quick example

took both dogs lamping left the 27 inch full saluki cross in the van,first cross collie greyhound ran first,amazing to watch stalked squatters,ran down the beam at squatters ran passed them and then turned back then picked them up,the dog ran a rabbit then suddenly stopped still watching the rabbit,which amazingly slowed down turned around and ran back towards the waiting dog,the rabbit had missed its warren somehow the dog new it,and the rabbit wanted to get in its warren,something else it did it somehow made rabbits run so slow it looked like you could walk up and catch it yourself.after roughly 2.5 hours it had 21 rabbits.

now its saluki dogs turn,dog also knows its trade at lamping,squaters ect,dog catches without any fuss nothing fancy at all no stalking squaters just runs at them picks them straight up,nothing given no chance dog just wants a catch,after 1.15 hours it had caught 19 rabbits.

you can,t say collies are to clever or salukis stupid ,or collie lurchers are better than saluki lurchers ,its the owners brains,mindset,preference for a type of dog that counts and no one should call anyone for having a different choice in dog types.

ps,which do i prefare......ah ah..?

:yes:Sirius, I know who IF is ,...cos over the years, I've met such feckers a thousand times,... :laugh:

But,.. IF you're young Collie based hybrid, don't make a fair sort of ferreting jukel,,..then, feck it,.. I'll give up the Jalfrezi :thumbs:

File0284.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Fook, you'd need a collie brain to understand the riddle like posts in this thread.....

when is a lurcher not a lurcher, when it has collie in it................................................its a jukel or a collie hound :laugh:

Fook, you'd need a collie brain to understand the riddle like posts in this thread.....

when is a lurcher not a lurcher, when it has collie in it................................................its a jukel or a collie hound :laugh:

IF not it's a cur lol

• Like 1