Collie Brains

I'm sure that this has already been said. . . . .

But for me, it's not what the dog does, but sometimes, how it does it.

It's not in the big things that you notice, but in the smaller ones.

And for every time you hold up and example of what the collie brain can do, someone, somewhere will hold up a dog that does the same that isn't collie blooded.

It's odd stuff, like using cover to their advantage, cutting game off rather than running after it, working off other dog, using them to make it's life easier. Things like that . . . .

• Like 1

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept crossbred herding dogs,..all my life,...used other types, for other business, and enjoyed them immensely, but I always return to the mongrel curs..As for brains,.well,... I've seen some ree

Weasel,,, I don't think bulls get enough credit,,in the brains department,,,some of them are incredibly intelligent ,,,in fact more often than not,,more intelligent than the other end of the lead,,,lo

If your collie x is too slow to catch fookall or is a jacker you can always find other uses, nothing more silly than a man chasing after his own hat    

Posted Images

The collie "brains" as been refined over the years while working with an human handler(the shepherd), this translates to a dog understanding what the handler wants to a higher degree than most other breeds.

Lots of breeds are intelligent they just use that intelligence in a different way.

Very good reply.

• Like 1

The collie "brains" as been refined over the years while working with an human handler(the shepherd), this translates to a dog understanding what the handler wants to a higher degree than most other breeds.

Lots of breeds are intelligent they just use that intelligence in a different way.

Very good reply.

Yep, but it's all about perspective, like every other breed, there are many different 'types/lines/strains/breeds' of collie and not ALL of them are worth a fecking carrot when crossed with a greyhound (or any other sight hound!) for 'Joe Soap' when he's looking for a 'shit or bust' hunting partner...

Unfortunately, half the tossers that breed don't take this into account, sort of 'don't read about what they breed' (and certainly don't really work it!) the other half are the tossers who believe everything they read..... Hey ho, ya pay's ya money....! :rolleyes:

Very good reply.

i agree. i work on a farm and see the ingenuity of a collie on a daily basis, and i dont have a clue about sheepdogs, but if i go out to do a job with the dogs on my own without the handler present, they work out very quickly whats needed to be done, and me trying to command them only confuses them, so i agree they are very smart in that respect. these dogs work on quite big open ground and need little or no commands really when gathering sheep, their proper sheepdogs not your trial dogs. but my dog cuts off rabbits and learn to hunt off a labrador so is its all its cracked up to be??

• Like 1

Very good reply.

Yep, but it's all about perspective, like every other breed, there are many different 'types/lines/strains/breeds' of collie and not ALL of them are worth a fecking carrot when crossed with a greyhound (or any other sight hound!) for 'Joe Soap' when he's looking for a 'shit or bust' hunting partner...

Unfortunately, half the tossers that breed don't take this into account, sort of 'don't read about what they breed' (and certainly don't really work it!) the other half are the tossers who believe everything they read..... Hey ho, ya pay's ya money....! :rolleyes:

Aye, that goes without saying.

There are a lot of dogs in general that aren't worth a carrot. . . . when crossed with anything.

For me, maybe i'm thinking of a slight variation.

When a collie is doing what a collie is bred for, it's basically simulating a hunt, where it works with the pack leader (the shepherd) to work the prey (the sheep) until they are in a position where the 'move' can be made. . . .

So it'd hunting and it's hunting for a higher 'power'.

In theory, couple this with the sighthound blood. . . . and you should be over powering that little bit that makes the hunting and chasing 'simulated' by introducing a more direct form of prey drive. . . and also of course greater speed.

So I guess in theory, you are playing upon all of those thousands of years and countless prior collies, who have refined a hunting instinct, and just taking it back a step with the greyhound blood.

I suppose that what i'm saying is that the pastoral blood has been practicing and honing hunting for man for a very very long time, without really much diversion of labour, and so maybe that collie 'brain' is just that bit of extra hunting cunning and skill that has come with practice.

Of course, plenty of other dogs of other breeds also have that, due to individual canine personality, genetics and what they experience in their upbringing and lives.

Or something like that . . . . .

Very good reply.

Aye, that goes without saying.

There are a lot of dogs in general that aren't worth a carrot. . . . when crossed with anything.

For me, maybe i'm thinking of a slight variation.

When a collie is doing what a collie is bred for, it's basically simulating a hunt, where it works with the pack leader (the shepherd) to work the prey (the sheep) until they are in a position where the 'move' can be made. . . .

So it'd hunting and it's hunting for a higher 'power'.

In theory, couple this with the sighthound blood. . . . and you should be over powering that little bit that makes the hunting and chasing 'simulated' by introducing a more direct form of prey drive. . . and also of course greater speed.

So I guess in theory, you are playing upon all of those thousands of years and countless prior collies, who have refined a hunting instinct, and just taking it back a step with the greyhound blood.

I suppose that what i'm saying is that the pastoral blood has been practicing and honing hunting for man for a very very long time, without really much diversion of labour, and so maybe that collie 'brain' is just that bit of extra hunting cunning and skill that has come with practice.

Of course, plenty of other dogs of other breeds also have that, due to individual canine personality, genetics and what they experience in their upbringing and lives.

Or something like that . . . . .

Err yer... But if that collie brain fecks up i'm gonna buy me one of dem bull crosses innit...!! :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh:

Then, when all's said an done, all I really want is a dog that does what its told and puts out maximum effort in the field... How fecking hard is that..??

Depends on your expectations. I've been around collies and collie x's all my life, and when it comes down to the nitty gritty, when adding collie into a hunting dog, brains don't always pass on.

Having followed this thread like many, when it comes down to "brains" in a lurcher, many don't know the difference between brains and "game sense".

• Like 3

every dog i've had has had collie in most half or more & i've never had a dog that

stalked rabbits

And have you never had one thats over thought a situation,Or stood looking at you with a Sorry did you want me to chase that look.

Then, when all's said an done, all I really want is a dog that does what its told and puts out maximum effort in the field... How fecking hard is that..??

Depends on your expectations. I've been around collies and collie x's all my life, and when it comes down to the nitty gritty, when adding collie into a hunting dog, brains don't always pass on.

Having followed this thread like many, when it comes down to "brains" in a lurcher, many don't know the difference between brains and "game sense".

See i aint anti collie,I wouldnt want to much collie anymore than i would want to much bull or anything eles.

Just thought it would make a interesting topic.

But i do agree theres a big differance bettween brains and game sense.

I guess collie would be as good as most things to put in game sense,but only if the brain dosnt come out and ruin it.

Idont need a dog capable of understanding 1000 differant whistles.I cannot whistle :icon_redface:

A dog that tries hard always,With a bit of pace will catch plenty,and with a bit of look in running and getting behind plenty will learn game sense. :yes:

• Like 2

Id think many a good collie cross,has dictated when its time to pack up lamping at some time or another.

True or false :hmm:

Seen most x's and lurcher x lurcher types do the same, with enough experience, or run too often when not fit

true, not saying you got run it to standstill or when its not fit, but the collie x type will say when its had enough , bit more quicker than most other xs in the night, ive had few over the years and all have this mind-set attitude .Like said its what you doing with dog, if nice steady lamping +mooching+ferreting :thumbs: there hard to beat, but push them that bit harder ,and more so as they get older it will show more, they are a clever type dog they will do what they want not you.But not just colliexs any lurcher will do the same at some point colliexs bit quicker I think.?

Honest as always bird :thumbs:

Your expirances are like mine and every other lad who i know tried them love them or lov em.

And it probally makes you a better dog lad for it.

So why do the real enthusasts,Say theyve never had one Do the bits we think of as bad??

They just dont see it as bad?

Turn a blind eye keep charging stud fees :laugh: ?

Using good stock?

Skilled trainers?

Dont push too hard?