Vixen Cubs And Nature

A sensitive question this one and one I have my own opinions on,if a vixen is killed this time of year leaving a litter of orphaned cubs generally will they be preyed upon or will they starve.My shovels are put away now and unless a dreaded call out comes they will stay unused till next winter but road casualties and riflemen will still be at it.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will say this for ya Irishman,if your terriers stay as long at it as you have on here on this thread there not bad.

Irishman that wasn't in agreement with the bullshit you have posted on here, not in the slightest.   I just cant get my head around why people feel the need to say it's not a sport? Of course it is.

Everyone replying and arguing aren't helping,can a mod not just delete the thread.

Posted Images

If they are unweaned they are goners .Juries out on whether or not the dog helps at all IMO.Rest of pack ?

did see a programme vixen got run over vixen from previous litter feed the cubs think it was that spring watch cubs under a shed "

I thought that vixen killed the other vixens cubs then raised her own under the shed?

JMHO but at this time of the year the only sensible form of fox control is the terrier and that should only be when a fox needs controlling.

But it has been proven that if the mother of a litter does get killed , for example, on the road etc. that the dog fox or barren vixens or both will raise the litter.

• Like 1

Just to add, it's also been known for two litters to be raised together by both vixens, aunts and the dog foxes.

Let's face it, we're talking about one of the ultimate survivors here.

If he wasn't he'd be extinct by now, LOL.

But the terrier is the only means we have of solving the problem by removing the predator and the reason for the predation when there is a problem.

• Like 4

When the tits with the rifles get fed up shooting road sighens and They turn there attention to eyes. Any eyes !!!!! id bring in a licence for rifles that monitored the skill and field craft and have a qarry test on the lamp all so. Fooking hate rifles To many out there. Get one with no experience then kill everthing that draws breath

Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 5

When the tits with the rifles get fed up shooting road sighens and They turn there attention to eyes. Any eyes !!!!! id bring in a licence for rifles that monitored the skill and field craft and have a qarry test on the lamp all so. Fooking hate rifles To many out there. Get one with no experience then kill everthing that draws breath

i have a couple of rifles mate but im not all bad!! i know what your saying, the problem will be epademic here in ireland next year. there was a seminar given last weekend by a group of sweeds who intend to buy fox skins and were demonstrating how to correctly skin and prepare the pelt. they recon there is big demand and there is high prices involves as they made out the irish fox pelt is the perfect texture and quality compaired to there native fox or those from other countries. I know some gun clubs sent representatives up to this seminar to find out about it. I heard all this second hand so facts may vary slightly but the general structure is that foreigners are comming over offering very high prices for pelts..........

it will without doubt have detramental effects to all forms of hunting as lads will see £££££ and literally lamp full time.....