• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few more bedy crosses

A few more some of my mates bedy fells

100%  digging  beddy/fell

Posted Images

i got a bitch pup of swanseajack of here,,must have been over fifteen year ago,, john williams brought her up to george newcombes for me,,poor bugger her, was under his car seat all the way up from wales.bloody wreck she was..but when she started working she was a belter..she was leaded up alot, as she tended to bugger off to ground..she would work any cover etc..she was very closely bred and a quite a sickly bitch..but she had no reverse gear and got into some sticky situations.she started of working noisy and ended up mute..she was lost to ground etc on numerous occasions..gn once asked me if she was mute saying that the true bedlingtons of old were.. tried to line her but she wouldnt take. she was three quarter bred,,the lakeland used was a middleton bred dog called nailer,, if memory serves me right ..a very quite/shy bitch she was but hard as any blacks etc iv'e seen

• Like 2

a pal ov mine has two a dog and a bitch both work well above and below and account for a fair bit ov vermin each season.think they go back to newcombes stuff

first place I looked while trying too source a bedlington was George Newcombe he at that time did not have any pups for sale but put me onto another fella who I met at George Newcombe's house brilliant old guy and it was a pleasure to meet him anyway the lad brought two pups for me too choose from I made my choice. And paid my money and then repented at my leisure as I said worst terrier I have ever owned and was bred from workers I later found out the pups were far too inbred

Was that Johnny Williams? Inbreeding to workers should increase not decrease the chances of producing workers.
The lad was from wales who was going to visit George Newcombe so I made arrangements too meet in Maltin just outside scarbourgh save me driving all the way to Wales for the pup it was a son to mother mating I don't know how inbred the bitch was,when the mating works it's called line breeding when it dosn't it's called inbreeding pmsl.

Sad to say that the reputation and integrity of the modern working Bedlington has been destroyed over the ;ast 30 years and we can pinpoint where most of the damage was done - South Wales! The amount of so called working Bedlingtons bred from non working parents in the valleys defies belief!

• 4 years later...

Had first x beddy greyhound.bitch was ex racer and a (apparently) good working line which was in the book "the working bedlington " was a repeat mating,saw pictures of the dog working ect.so I thought yep I'll have it. I can't speak how the others from the litter turned out but I will say this about mine.........shed find a pheasant in a maze field put her nose under it a flick it in the air, wouldn't bite anything ,spineless and although fast would just run along side a rabbit.she couldn't catch a cold. Seen a bloke with a beddy whippet and that was useless aswell that was also from worker to worker.just seems abit potluck. I will say that if anyone has a good bushing bedlington terrier I'd like to come and see how they work seems mine was a failure.so that's my experience with them.

On 24/11/2013 at 20:07, morton said:

Mine are most certainly bolters,a thing that many modern terriers now seem to lack,yet what most where originally bred to do?.

This quote from you is why you will never get my respect as a terriermen. Any terrer going to ground has the ability to bolt a fox or for that matter a decent sized ferret .A bolter does so because it gives ground to a fox not through any superior breeding or intellect .The real deal ,either man or dog hates a bolt and lives for the dig .There are beddies getting dug to but the lads doing it don't shout about it

What you have Mort is as you put it ,dross and have no place in taking the breed forward ..

• Like 5
10 hours ago, foxdropper said:

This quote from you is why you will never get my respect as a terriermen. Any terrer going to ground has the ability to bolt a fox or for that matter a decent sized ferret .A bolter does so because it gives ground to a fox not through any superior breeding or intellect .The real deal ,either man or dog hates a bolt and lives for the dig .There are beddies getting dug to but the lads doing it don't shout about it

What you have Mort is as you put it ,dross and have no place in taking the breed forward ..

The chance of a bolt is mostly down to the fox, the earth it is in and the position the dog enters. A willing terrier can force a quick bolt but if it is in a stop, to create a bolt would mean the dog has given ground. Different if its mid tube. Bolting dogs are very useful dogs in certain hands. E.g in deep places on steep bankings. And they shouldnt be overlooked. But theyre not in the same league as a digging dog and definitely shouldnt be a goal to breed towards.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, TOPPER said:

BB  as you can see it was easy digging on top but 5 foot down it was like  melted chocolate  a right shite spot but we got the result and thats what matters 

Any one used the beddie/fell types above and below ?

On 12/13/2017 at 11:04, Bushhound said:

Had first x beddy greyhound.bitch was ex racer and a (apparently) good working line which was in the book "the working bedlington " was a repeat mating,saw pictures of the dog working ect.so I thought yep I'll have it. I can't speak how the others from the litter turned out but I will say this about mine.........shed find a pheasant in a maze field put her nose under it a flick it in the air, wouldn't bite anything ,spineless and although fast would just run along side a rabbit.she couldn't catch a cold. Seen a bloke with a beddy whippet and that was useless aswell that was also from worker to worker.just seems abit potluck. I will say that if anyone has a good bushing bedlington terrier I'd like to come and see how they work seems mine was a failure.so that's my experience with them.

I'd a beddy whip the opposite to yours she was about 15 or 16 tts she'd tackle anything that was standing in front of her but wouldn't chase anything, funny though if their was a fox in cover she would follow it till she got it or it broke cover.

• Like 1