Bedlingtons

I'm after some opinions/advice on the beddy, I was thinking of getting 1 due to their verisitalty, I'd be using it for genral mooching/bushing with the lurchers but I'd also been keen to use in for earth work, I have plenty of expeiriance in the digging game but mainly with Pats or lakies, I'm after some advice on them I.e. Working abilty at the genral mooching aswell as earth work, cheers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few more bedy crosses

A few more some of my mates bedy fells

100%  digging  beddy/fell

Posted Images

good luck mate if you get a decent beddy it will mooch / bush all day but if you get a good one from digging line s you could be in for some good days but bedy arnt pats or lakies they take things to heart but there good dogs and get under your skin get a good one and you wouldnt have anything else

• Like 1

Had two 25 yrs ago,bishop Auckland bred from earth working stuff.Dog was good cover Dog but walked after meeting teeth after a few easy digs,bitch was the worse terrier I have seen never mind owned.

Refused even to chase bolting rabbits,ran and hid under a car while ferreting rats...died of old age living with my mum.

A friend has a working bred bitch that he got to work cover along side his whippets and she also refuses to chase or enter cover.

• Like 1

I'm after some opinions/advice on the beddy, I was thinking of getting 1 due to their verisitalty, I'd be using it for genral mooching/bushing with the lurchers but I'd also been keen to use in for earth work, I have plenty of expeiriance in the digging game but mainly with Pats or lakies, I'm after some advice on them I.e. Working abilty at the genral mooching aswell as earth work, cheers

As a mooching,versatile hunting companion the right Beddy would be a more than useful dog to have in the kennel,i cannot stress strongly enough the trouble you will have sourcing the right un,most are bred from ribbon chasing,shivery arsed dross.As Topper states they are not Fells/Lakies and if you want that type of mutt id stay well clear of Beddy,s,on the whole,there are some about that will still hold their own in a digging kennel,bloody scarce though.If you wanted a vesatile terrier that would also work fox,then id look at sourcing a decent bred un and you will never want anything else.The ones ive seen work are better suited as bolting,rather than digging dogs,if i wanted a digging dog id never look further than the Fells,Lakeys,if i wanted a dog that could be more widely utilised id never have anything else but a good Beddy,id never take on a Beddy without seeing what the parentage offers in the field,there are far to many getting bred from dross and advertised as workers,much like any other terrier now i suppose.

• Like 2

Had two 25 yrs ago,bishop Auckland bred from earth working stuff.Dog was good cover Dog but walked after meeting teeth after a few easy digs,bitch was the worse terrier I have seen never mind owned.

Refused even to chase bolting rabbits,ran and hid under a car while ferreting rats...died of old age living with my mum.

A friend has a working bred bitch that he got to work cover along side his whippets and she also refuses to chase or enter cover.

Some of the Beddy owners about,now and much earlier,had ideas of working standards in a terrier that stretched the imagination to its fullest,a dog that chased a few bunny,s or managed a smaller rodent suddenly became the next saviour of the breed and the resultant progeny,with a little poetic license,were the breeds salvation.Sourcing the right stock with any terrier,is the hardest hurdle to cross,the Beddy is no different,there are good,bad and indifferent out there and a bevy of unscrupulous breeders of dross that would part a fella from his brass.

• Like 2

As a mooching,versatile hunting companion the right Beddy would be a more than useful dog to have in the kennel,i cannot stress strongly enough the trouble you will have sourcing the right un,most are bred from ribbon chasing,shivery arsed dross.As Topper states they are not Fells/Lakies and if you want that type of mutt id stay well clear of Beddy,s,on the whole,there are some about that will still hold their own in a digging kennel,bloody scarce though.If you wanted a vesatile terrier that would also work fox,then id look at sourcing a decent bred un and you will never want anything else.The ones ive seen work are better suited as bolting,rather than digging dogs,if i wanted a digging dog id never look further than the Fells,Lakeys,if i wanted a dog that could be more widely utilised id never have anything else but a good Beddy,id never take on a Beddy without seeing what the parentage offers in the field,there are far to many getting bred from dross and advertised as workers,much like any other terrier now i suppose.

Some good advice morton cheers, but its not an out and out digging terrier I'm after, I don't have enough work for a fell/patt/lakie type I'm after somthing that can turn its hand to other jobs ie bushing genral mooching aswell as still be able to do the job below ground when called upon

a pal ov mine has two a dog and a bitch both work well above and below and account for a fair bit ov vermin each season.think they go back to newcombes stuff

first place I looked while trying too source a bedlington was George Newcombe he at that time did not have any pups for sale but put me onto another fella who I met at George Newcombe's house brilliant old guy and it was a pleasure to meet him anyway the lad brought two pups for me too choose from I made my choice. And paid my money and then repented at my leisure as I said worst terrier I have ever owned and was bred from workers I later found out the pups were far too inbred

you suprise me about bolting. I thought they were mute.

a pal ov mine has two a dog and a bitch both work well above and below and account for a fair bit ov vermin each season.think they go back to newcombes stuff

first place I looked while trying too source a bedlington was George Newcombe he at that time did not have any pups for sale but put me onto another fella who I met at George Newcombe's house brilliant old guy and it was a pleasure to meet him anyway the lad brought two pups for me too choose from I made my choice. And paid my money and then repented at my leisure as I said worst terrier I have ever owned and was bred from workers I later found out the pups were far too inbred

Was that Johnny Williams? Inbreeding to workers should increase not decrease the chances of producing workers.

Was that Johnny Williams? Inbreeding to workers should increase not decrease the chances of producing workers.
The lad was from wales who was going to visit George Newcombe so I made arrangements too meet in Maltin just outside scarbourgh save me driving all the way to Wales for the pup it was a son to mother mating I don't know how inbred the bitch was,when the mating works it's called line breeding when it dosn't it's called inbreeding pmsl. Edited by MOLE265
  • Like 1

daz if you find the right one you'll have a versatile terrier I owned and worked one for over ten years it was as good above as it was below mine came from a old lad from a mining village near Ayrshire in the 80s she was everything and more hope you have the same luck as I had a one in a lifetime bitch as some say is there such a thing :thumbs: I hope so atb

what village mate, im an Ayrshire man. my old pal had one early 90s that would go to ground and kill, very hard dog. i,ll need to ask him where it came from. PM if you prefer :thumbs: