Any Cross ?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are folks posting different dogs to what they own..isn't that strange or it just me. I wanted a first cross collie so bought one...I didn't go and buy a whippet and post shite on here saying I wi

That'd have a f***ing horrible accent mate. . . .

First x collie/grey....or something with more collie than greyhound.....do me fine...

Posted Images

we're breeding from dogs that win a few races or rosettes at shows, or from dogs that preban took a few foxes, munties or roe a few times during the season, or a bag of rabbits on the lamp, this lot seem to be taking truck loads of coyotes on numerous consecutive days and with a nights kip and some good feed they'll be ready to go again.........we wait for weeks on rain so our precious charges don't hurt themselves, these guys run on whatever ground they come across because thats where the quarry are only the very best make it to breeding age how many times on here are folks slagged for breeding unproven pups ? and a genuine question for the real guys who hunt, work and maybe breed their own........the litter on the ground over there just now with the big dollop of collie blood.......would breeding with one of them not add something to the allrounder type here that perhaps we couldn't find here ?

Agree with what you've put there but I do think that we have the right ingredients over here as well its just that the approach to breeding that is different. Trying to import one is something I might look into in the next few years providing I thought that the person sending one over was of the right mindset

why import? would straws not be simpler ?

Whichever way would be easier tbh, either a retired bitch imported, a pup or straws. Be an interesting experiment either way!

theoretically........what would you breed it with ?

Something like a coursing bred dog that has been tested in as many different ways as possible, or the best 'all round' dog you can get hold of preferably from a lurcher X lurcher type breeding going back as long as possible

on 2nd thoughts what you bred it with would probably have to take into consideration where you intend to run it as what works on the big open plains in the US wouldn't necessarily work over here either. And a big 80lb 29" dog in the dales or on really bumpy uneven ground may also be a disaster waiting to happen

true , but thats any big dog running in some places in the UK. But i think a stag x to deerhoundx or just added to most lurchers, would +could give good wind+feet, guts.Like been said they are rugged type dog been bred for over 100's years for rough ground and to kill a small wolf(yote), somthing like these like these added, to our lurchers surely got to be a positive thing, not negative thing. :yes::yes:

we're breeding from dogs that win a few races or rosettes at shows, or from dogs that preban took a few foxes, munties or roe a few times during the season, or a bag of rabbits on the lamp, this lot seem to be taking truck loads of coyotes on numerous consecutive days and with a nights kip and some good feed they'll be ready to go again.........we wait for weeks on rain so our precious charges don't hurt themselves, these guys run on whatever ground they come across because thats where the quarry are only the very best make it to breeding age how many times on here are folks slagged for breeding unproven pups ? and a genuine question for the real guys who hunt, work and maybe breed their own........the litter on the ground over there just now with the big dollop of collie blood.......would breeding with one of them not add something to the allrounder type here that perhaps we couldn't find here ?

Agree with what you've put there but I do think that we have the right ingredients over here as well its just that the approach to breeding that is different. Trying to import one is something I might look into in the next few years providing I thought that the person sending one over was of the right mindset

Whichever way would be easier tbh, either a retired bitch imported, a pup or straws. Be an interesting experiment either way!

Something like a coursing bred dog that has been tested in as many different ways as possible, or the best 'all round' dog you can get hold of preferably from a lurcher X lurcher type breeding going back as long as possible

on 2nd thoughts what you bred it with would probably have to take into consideration where you intend to run it as what works on the big open plains in the US wouldn't necessarily work over here either. And a big 80lb 29" dog in the dales or on really bumpy uneven ground may also be a disaster waiting to happen

true , but thats any big dog running in some places in the UK. But i think a stag x to deerhoundx or just added to most lurchers, would +could give good wind+feet, guts.Like been said they are rugged type dog been bred for over 100's years for rough ground and to kill a small wolf(yote), somthing like these like these added, to our lurchers surely got to be a positive thing, not negative thing. :yes::yes:

Its something I think I will try and do a few more years down the line when I want another dog or when my big dog manages to kill himself off (he seems to have a good go at it every couple of months)

Its something I think I will try and do a few more years down the line when I want another dog or when my big dog manages to kill himself off (he seems to have a good go at it every couple of months)

bloody hell , well at least he tries lol, yeh be worth a thought with a stag in the mix. :thumbs:

What have the stags got in them that we haven't got over here?

Genuine question.

over 100 yrs of breeding for purpose and as i understand it quite ruthlessly.............our deerhound breeders have been breeding for size or show points (with a few excellent exceptions) .............as i see it they have all the grit the bully guys like, the stature and determination for the pre ban deer guys, they sure have as much stamina as anything we have and now they're putting collie brains into the mix.......but the biggest thing they have is the opportunity to test these qualities and discuss them openly which it looks like we sadly never will again

I understand what you're saying Birddog, and I'd love to try such a dog myself. The problem I see is that if we don't have the conditions to produce such a dog here then how're we going to keep it going beyond one or two generations?

bloody hell , well at least he tries lol, yeh be worth a thought with a stag in the mix. :thumbs:

he tries alright bless him lol.. I wouldnt change him for the world, he is great to watch and does well enough on most things and very well on others. Much as I would like to think that he will end up chilling on the rug at 12 years old, his track record suggests otherwise.

The dog that would suit me would be a good hare killing daytime dog that has been worked and worked hard and well to all disciplines put to a very good strong lamping dog. Hopefully in the next few years if all goes to plan i should have a pup out of my own dog to an outstanding lamping bitch ...

Genuine question.

over 100 yrs of breeding for purpose and as i understand it quite ruthlessly.............our deerhound breeders have been breeding for size or show points (with a few excellent exceptions) .............as i see it they have all the grit the bully guys like, the stature and determination for the pre ban deer guys, they sure have as much stamina as anything we have and now they're putting collie brains into the mix.......but the biggest thing they have is the opportunity to test these qualities and discuss them openly which it looks like we sadly never will again

I understand what you're saying Birddog, and I'd love to try such a dog myself. The problem I see is that if we don't have the conditions to produce such a dog here then how're we going to keep it going beyond one or two generations?

got to disagree a little the conditions are there its perhaps the right attitude thats missing, i think that there are still a few guys out there who do it right whatever the rights and wrongs of this present administration are, as these guys are the kind to understate things and not brag here and there about what they and their mutts do the problem as i see it would be getting the correct wee working group of guys together to do a project like this justice

• Like 1

Genuine question.

got to disagree a little the conditions are there its perhaps the right attitude thats missing, i think that there are still a few guys out there who do it right whatever the rights and wrongs of this present administration are, as these guys are the kind to understate things and not brag here and there about what they and their mutts do the problem as i see it would be getting the correct wee working group of guys together to do a project like this justice

That would be the main challenge with what Dan M was suggesting a couple of pages back, out of the ten people in the example he gave chances are half of the stags Xs they ended up with would probably see very little work and end up being bred within an inch of their lives with every bitch going, then you would be back to square 1.

There are def people that breed in the same way as the yanks do in the UK though its just I dont think the lines/breeding have had the same amount of time to evolve over 100+ years of being bred for purpose

but we sent the original deerhounds etc over there, maybe theres too many show folks here, maybe they don't have the same amount of tree hugging do gooders, they certainly don't have the same restrictions but in real terms they're fairly recent, who knows its maybe way more complicated than first looks would suggest but i still really fancy that mix of stag / yute x collie ...........jeez i could fill a freezer or three with one of them

• Like 1

Cross a stag with a coyote and watch the meat fly! I'm sure someone has done this already but I don't know about it. What I do know about is that a buddy of mine has crossed Mountain Curs with a coyote and got the coyote down to 1/4. He ran these on bobcats and didn't miss hardly any. Now that's something to brag about because there aren't many dogs in existence that can go into the 90% catch range on bobcat. You want to talk about canny b*****ds!!! That would be something to see.

I will talk to some of the insiders and see what line is producing the top of the heap here and put up some info to get you guys started. However you do it, with a group or an individual, I'm going to do what I can to help.

All things considered it surprises me that more folk arent more interested in crosses that are a little less conspicuous with the way the law is in the UK. To me 30" 80lb staghounds arent really a cleaver decision especially if there marked up same goes for the huge bullx you see about imo they just bring uwanted attention to you.

All things considered it surprises me that more folk arent more interested in crosses that are a little less conspicuous with the way the law is in the UK. To me 30" 80lb staghounds arent really a cleaver decision especially if there marked up same goes for the huge bullx you see about imo they just bring uwanted attention to you.

got to agree with moorside on this one what to f--k are yous all about lol

Why spend a fortune on getting staghound blood over here? staghounds are used to catch and kill coyotes, which obviously we don't have.......

I understand the idea of "if they can handle a coyote then surely they would take a fox no prob". But what's to say that good fox dogs wouldn't take a coyote no prob?

It seems the thinking is that because staghounds take a bigger predator they are better at the job?.......But there is no way of testing our good fox dogs over here on any bigger predator than a fox....

If foxes are your thing then surely you would rather a pup out of dogs doing there job well, rather than spend a fortune getting staghound blood over here and hoping?..

Just my thoughts.....

:yes: