Any Cross ?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are folks posting different dogs to what they own..isn't that strange or it just me. I wanted a first cross collie so bought one...I didn't go and buy a whippet and post shite on here saying I wi

That'd have a f***ing horrible accent mate. . . .

First x collie/grey....or something with more collie than greyhound.....do me fine...

Posted Images

What have the stags got in them that we haven't got over here?

Genuine question.

over 100 yrs of breeding for purpose and as i understand it quite ruthlessly.............our deerhound breeders have been breeding for size or show points (with a few excellent exceptions) .............as i see it they have all the grit the bully guys like, the stature and determination for the pre ban deer guys, they sure have as much stamina as anything we have and now they're putting collie brains into the mix.......but the biggest thing they have is the opportunity to test these qualities and discuss them openly which it looks like we sadly never will again

• Like 2

we're breeding from dogs that win a few races or rosettes at shows, or from dogs that preban took a few foxes, munties or roe a few times during the season, or a bag of rabbits on the lamp, this lot seem to be taking truck loads of coyotes on numerous consecutive days and with a nights kip and some good feed they'll be ready to go again.........we wait for weeks on rain so our precious charges don't hurt themselves, these guys run on whatever ground they come across because thats where the quarry are only the very best make it to breeding age how many times on here are folks slagged for breeding unproven pups ? and a genuine question for the real guys who hunt, work and maybe breed their own........the litter on the ground over there just now with the big dollop of collie blood.......would breeding with one of them not add something to the allrounder type here that perhaps we couldn't find here ?

Agree with what you've put there but I do think that we have the right ingredients over here as well its just that the approach to breeding that is different. Trying to import one is something I might look into in the next few years providing I thought that the person sending one over was of the right mindset

why import? would straws not be simpler ?

What have the stags got in them that we haven't got over here?

Genuine question.

Nothing breed wise. they just have generation after generations of being run on hard ground and with all the weaker/lame/cowardly ones being shot without many 2nd chances being given, extract that out over many generations and you get the picture..

Fair point mate. Cheers :thumbs:

I got a young lurcher here that on paper i wouldn't touch with a barge pole but knew her parents and both did it all and have to say couldn't be happier with her so far, belguim mally x gh,saluki x gh sire,3/4 gh.1/4 bull dam.So on paper it don't count for me as i'd choose a ACD x myself :D .

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

we're breeding from dogs that win a few races or rosettes at shows, or from dogs that preban took a few foxes, munties or roe a few times during the season, or a bag of rabbits on the lamp, this lot seem to be taking truck loads of coyotes on numerous consecutive days and with a nights kip and some good feed they'll be ready to go again.........we wait for weeks on rain so our precious charges don't hurt themselves, these guys run on whatever ground they come across because thats where the quarry are only the very best make it to breeding age how many times on here are folks slagged for breeding unproven pups ? and a genuine question for the real guys who hunt, work and maybe breed their own........the litter on the ground over there just now with the big dollop of collie blood.......would breeding with one of them not add something to the allrounder type here that perhaps we couldn't find here ?

Agree with what you've put there but I do think that we have the right ingredients over here as well its just that the approach to breeding that is different. Trying to import one is something I might look into in the next few years providing I thought that the person sending one over was of the right mindset

Whichever way would be easier tbh, either a retired bitch imported, a pup or straws. Be an interesting experiment either way!

Them staghounds in the States ain't some mythical creature. I bet if coyotes where on our quarry list you'd get a few dogs here that would do them. :yes:

I'm sure that they would, its just would those in the litter that dont all be shot?

So your saying that nobody over here ever culls rubbish then are you? Its not an American thing, selective breeding been going on for years. :yes:

• Like 3

Whichever way would be easier tbh, either a retired bitch imported, a pup or straws. Be an interesting experiment either way!

theoretically........what would you breed it with ?

Them staghounds in the States ain't some mythical creature. I bet if coyotes where on our quarry list you'd get a few dogs here that would do them. :yes:

I'm sure that they would, its just would those in the litter that dont all be shot?

So your saying that nobody over here ever culls rubbish then are you? Its not an American thing, selective breeding been going on for years. :yes:

i get what both you guys are saying, but over here do failed coursers not get passed on to lampers ? so would failed coyote dogs not get passed down to someone with less expectations?

I know mate I just think that there is generally less of a culture of it over here. its also the combination of lots of factors imo, the stuff they have to test them on, the terrain, the size of the terrain, their attitude to their dogs in general culling is just one of the factors.

theoretically........what would you breed it with ?

Something like a coursing bred dog that has been tested in as many different ways as possible, or the best 'all round' dog you can get hold of preferably from a lurcher X lurcher type breeding going back as long as possible

i get what both you guys are saying, but over here do failed coursers not get passed on to lampers ? so would failed coyote dogs not get passed down to someone with less expectations?

When you're breeding just to replenish your stock as Dan Edwards and the like do then culling sub-standard dogs is the norm but in this country a lot more people are breeding for the wrong reasons. A lot of lads here ain't that concerned with breeding shit dogs and passing them on, a sad fact but a true fact.

• Like 3