Lurchers Yapping In Kennel

Just bought 10month old bull x pup, a real cracking looking dog, very obident and about as laid back as you get.When im out I couldnt ask for more on or pff the lead, get him home and its a different story.I keep him outside in a kennel on a 10foot chain, and at first he was fine.But for last few days hes doing my nut clean in with his whistling crying and his barking,I cant imagen what the neighbours are thinking!!!.He got me up at least once every hour last night and its getting beyound a joke.I really dont want to get rid but hes starting to test are lasses patients.Anyone any suggestions how to nit this in the bud? I understand hes a young dog in new surroundings but I cant see council seeing that as an exceptable excuse.

bring him in the house, put him in a cage in the kitchen. All bullxs ive had were all the same they can be nosey feckers, i think they like to be with you. As he only young as well he will settle in your house, all mine were great temps with people+kids.

Hes on chain because its just a kennel(no run).Been throwing water on him but I dont think its having the effect it first did.Think bones are next step.Really dont want to get rid .Am not having him in the house,lagging all over and in the bin, cant leave owt on the sides and knocking everything thing over playing fighting with my terrier.Na the gardens best bet for him.

Edited, Bosun..

Must admit my next dog will be in the house, im not getting agro off my c**t of a naughbour again..rspca visits..b*****ds

couldnt keep my pup in house , rolls in all things dead and generally comes back filthy every time we go out . As for the yapping in kennel ....what works for one dog might not for another .....regular good exercise plenty of games , training and double glazing helps ..........atb sesku

Hes on chain because its just a kennel(no run).Been throwing water on him but I dont think its having the effect it first did.Think bones are next step.Really dont want to get rid .Am not having him in the house,lagging all over and in the bin, cant leave owt on the sides and knocking everything thing over playing fighting with my terrier.Na the gardens best bet for him.[/quote

Get hose pipe on him and keep it on him he will soon learn no good throwing a cup of water on him mate

Why not put a bit of effort in and build the dog a run along with the kennel. Just my opinion of course but i think the dog would maybe be a bit more settled.

And as a by the way i dont think you need to be mentioning droppers. Give it a bit of thought.

Yours in sport Pernod

• Like 2

Right, for starters Pernod is dead right... Think about what you post, i've cleaned up the thred but if anyone has a problem or don't understand PM me and we'll clear it right up.

As for that noisy youngster... If it was mine, first off, i'd make sure its kennels were as good as I could get 'em. Next i'd exercise the arse off it, EVERY DAY, it should be put back in its kennel knackered, with good grub and a bone, hoof or sommat to occupy it.

If things persisted, then I would go down the water rout BUT only if I could do it where the dog cannot see its me... Some neurotic dogs, can and will take all sorts of punishment, rather than be alone... So it will whine, bark scream till you come and punish it. Just check if it don't shut up and wag its tail as soon as you appear...? You douse it, shout at it and ten mins later its back on the same game...??

So if your gonna use water, do it where the dog cannot see you or knows whats happening, other than it barks and gets soaked. Try a bucket of water, on a line, on top of the kennel, or rig it up to somewhere high at the end of the chain where it stands. Dog whines, pull the line...!

Or a super soaker from the bedroom window, just do it in stealth mode, so it don't know its you. Best time of year for this now, as windows can be kept open, so minimalising noise...

I've never had to use an anti bark collar, so I can't give any advice on 'em BUT remember, start with everything but punishment, look at my first few lines and if they don't work then go at it with logic not rage, think about the best way to deal with it. Rage will do nothing but drive a wedge between you and your new partner... I'm sure others will give better answers than mine, soak 'em all up and use 'em.

Best of luck... :thumbs: