Fitter Type English Bull Terrier

the American pit bull is made up of English/Irish pit dogs. The Mastiff type was used more for baiting and holding than fighting and supposedly terrier was added to bring size down and more suited to dog fighting.

Some believe that terrier blood was never added but the Bulldogs were just reduced in size by selection.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That Tinker belonged to an old school pal of mine from the mid 60's, and we still hunt together albeit at a slower pace. Tinker and Handy ( Red Hand of Ulster to give him his full name) were both bred

One for those interested in Wheatens... from the 1970s.... I had to crop it as the man in photo might not like it,,,    

No there was a wee dog from Limerick called "The Gallant Hendrix", Handy and Tinker, which were the only dogs of this breed I remember seeing certifying, which may be a contributing factor as to why t

Posted Images

What terrier if any is in the apbt? Or would it just be a bulldog? And also what else went into the make up of them?

I've always said that the most pure bred breeds of dogs are the American Pit Bull, the Greyhound and the Foxhound and of the three of them I'd say the APBT is the most pure bred.

Yes, he might have been called other names over the years but the truth is that he goes back to the dog that was the original Bulldog (the breed nowadays known as the bulldog is a modern reconstructed breed) and as he was the gamest of breeds there was not another breed that could be used as an outcross.

His standard was not on the showbench and because he was bred for function, not form, is the reason he comes short, tall, cobby, racey, every possible colour and ranges from 20 lbs to 120 lbs.

His blood might have been used in many other breeds but their blood was not used in his.

Don't let anyone tell ya different.

good answer Neil.

I don't agree with dog fighting but im just stating what I saw.

Apbt are dead game but theres too much emphasis put on this when u see them against another breed thats huge with a thick coat and is game aswel.

I used to think bull terriers were the top dogs.

I don't agree with dog fighting but im just stating what I saw.

Apbt are dead game but theres too much emphasis put on this when u see them against another breed thats huge with a thick coat and is game aswel.

I used to think bull terriers were the top dogs.

you gonna need a very game pitbull to go against a kangal, not just ant pet bull, but a proven dog.even then dont expect apbt to win, rather to show gameness, and when he is picked up to save him he should beg for more, cry to get back, and show a strong courtesy scratch if let.

a dog man once said, im not betting that mine will beat yours im betting it will be gamer then yours.

so who cares if pitbull lost against kangal, but it should show heart.

Edited by AXUM
  • Like 1

I read before that a pitbull trained to fight pitbulls struggle with the thick coat of the kangal but a pitbull like one that is used on bears that grabs the nose or paw will do better.

There was a red pitbull in with one who gave away a big weight difference and lasted a good while but eventually lost.

Maybe if the game pitbull was bred larger and specifically to face kangal type dogs it cud be a different story