Buck Had Haircut .!

I go out with a mate, one of his dogs is the same size, ( bull x) if I'm honest it's not my sort of dog but it never ceases to surprise me, far quicker and more nimble than its size would have you think.. Now I'm not saying it'll turn and move like a smaller dog ( whippet x etc) but its no slouch...

I'm sure as said once the pup gets behind a few early season rabbits come jan/ feb it'll be motoring and looking fine...

All the best with the pup Ray

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ray...the thing you have to remember mate is that this dog only has to please you...no one else matters....   If he pleases you...it's job done....

if theres one thing ive learnt about dogs and thats dont judge them by there looks.   ive seen some right mongrel looking things out in the field perform well, on the other hand ive seen the raciest

FFS the pups 10 and a half month old......... Ray he looks well not being funny here but what more do you want from a saplin?   He's comeing along fine?, Stockbroke fine? Had his mouth around a few

Certainally big lump now ray hope he does [bANNED TEXT] ye got him for, u recon he will get any bigger ? like to see how this dog gets on as not herd of anyone used this cross best of luck bird

thanks mate, no he want get any bigger, he is 27in 80lb. But i think will prob run at about 75-77lb when mature+ fit. Mate they aint a (new) x they been around 40 odd years, just went out of fashion when bullxs took of in the 70s.But they still do good job, but dont have the look of what some lads like in a lurcher (macho) lol, and i am as bad having had 3 bullxs before, just wanted a change :yes:

What's made u go for this cross bird ? recon good saluki cross over your bryn would of made sum good alround game dogs .

and me mate deff, would make great lurchers, as you know+jim , Bryn been great rabbit dog, prob my best , ive answerd on the thread mate why i went for Buck.!

ok a dont want to drag this out or make a mock of your dog each to there own but to me to look at that dog it wouldnt have a very good catch rate preban on big game to say it is a good big game dog i would honestly like to see it catch a roe middle of winter on a big wheat field at least you admit there are better xs out there for the job but the way some people comment about it its as though it is going to be some wonder dog on them there just ass licking or dont have a clue :thumbs:

Funny that muka we have 100 acre arable fields behind me with no fence and shit hedges with loads of gaps as the boundaries between fields, the Alsatian x down road from me is 29tt 80lb and he had no problem dead of winter taking more then one big un at night. So if he's got the guts I'd think he be more then capable on them if it was still legal
  • Like 1

am sorry but the people saying that this dog should do the job on big game and run all night am i looking at the same dog as you lot? i cant see it myself

Be good to read the logic behind that post. Genuinely interested as to why you think that... :thumbs:[/quote

Obvious really, he looks like a land rover not a ferrari which means he just canit get up to smash stuff, pre ban ov coarse like pal!got nee sazuki in it so it canit hav plenty wind canit? Jucst ower heavy for to smash teeth etc etc etc etc.best of luck with the big happy looking bugger Bird, atb.

• Like 2

Buck is heavy, that's for sure, but my OH has a Picardy lurcher that isn't very different to Buck in size, bone etc. He looked like a giant Labrador pup when he was young, and he's still a heavy lump now, but you should see him hoover up rabbits on the lamp. Makes it look easy. Only thing he doesn't run so well on is wet, deep plough as he sinks too far in. Heavy and big doesn't always equal slow and clumsy.

So Buck may not win a whippet in 60m dash!!! from my own experiences speed alone does not make a working dog!! its all about that blood pumping muscle under the rib cage!! with some of the comments on here! make you wonder wolf's survive in the wild as they must be at least the same size and weight as Buck!! if not bigger.

ATB with him Ray

As Ray said, still a big daft pup and those Ali's seem to carry their puppy fat/shape longer than many breeds. Anyone doubting that this dog will take shape ain't seen that many raw boned, junk yard Alsatians and Buck is half greyhound.

How he shapes up in the field will be a different matter but he's had a good start and one of the best blokes to get the most out of him.... :yes: Best of luck Ray... :thumbs:

am sorry but the people saying that this dog should do the job on big game and run all night am i looking at the same dog as you lot? i cant see it myself

German Shepherds are no sprinters but once they pick up some pace and get going they can be very fast. And will do so for a very long time. Like Ray said himself, a lot faster than most would expect and a lot faster than they look.

With the rihght breeding (which has been taken care of) and some luck (which is in gods hands) he'll be very driven, biddable and have all the stamina and brains you need.

Looking great Ray!

Edited by Bossie

As Ray said, still a big daft pup and those Ali's seem to carry their puppy fat/shape longer than many breeds. Anyone doubting that this dog will take shape ain't seen that many raw boned, junk yard Alsatians and Buck is half greyhound.

How he shapes up in the field will be a different matter but he's had a good start and one of the best blokes to get the most out of him.... :yes: Best of luck Ray... :thumbs:

thanks paul , as i said he had dozen rabbits in the lamp last season, and i think he quicker now , that was 5 months ago . The not bred as speed machines anybody can see that, but from what lads who had thix tell me they have very good stamina run all night long fair speed for there size, and plenty of guts to tackle what you put them on. :yes: