After Vin's Food/diet Thread. What About Condtioning

I give mine a good lay off and myself . It's hard slog in the winter with working long shifts and getting the dogs out as much as possible. I would say they remain reasonably fit with walking about the local fields with the odd trip to the beach if it's red hot and the grounds to hard. Come end of July / aug will trot them behind a bike and get them out end aug - beginning of September if the ground soft . Just start them off slow no big numbers it's still often to warm for floggin dogs.

Some folk have some wild and wonderful training regimes and it don't seem to trump hard work in the field, along with diet and rest.

• Like 3

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k me..I'm out of breath reading this let alone going on some of the aforementioned training regimes..for the odd rabbit and a few rats I can't really see the point :-)

I give mine a good lay off and myself . It's hard slog in the winter with working long shifts and getting the dogs out as much as possible. I would say they remain reasonably fit with walking about th

ALL THIS QUAD TALK WORK THEM TO FITNESS THATS THE ONLY WAY, TROTTING BEHIND A CAR ETC,, KEEPS THEM IN TRIM, AND THATS ABOUT IT,, TRUTH KNOWN CHUCKING A BALL ON A SCOPE 20/30 TIMES WILL DO THEM MORE GO

Posted Images

Did you ever have a run with him aaron?

going to have a run with him this year as mates no money me him and ricky
You said that last season :laugh:

so did you [bANNED TEXT] you were going down on holiday to his :hmm: me and mark haven't got round to it yet I waz meant to go down he was meant to cum up

I WAS ib cornwall on a family holiday... 2 teenagers and a newborn babby. . But i got 400 mile closer than you :laugh:

As a Rabbiting Man, apart from the sport side, my other main reason for walking 4 miles a day, is to keep me fit.

apart from the push bike which I don't do, but sitting on a Quad bike or running behind a car, or watching a dog on a treadmill will end up with a fit dog, and a very unfit owner.

• Like 1

As a Rabbiting Man, apart from the sport side, my other main reason for walking 4 miles a day, is to keep me fit.

apart from the push bike which I don't do, but sitting on a Quad bike or running behind a car, or watching a dog on a treadmill will end up with a fit dog, and a very unfit owner.

your right I take me dogs behind a motor, but iff I did not have a dog, you wud not do half the walking, to keep yourself in trim i, see chaps who I went to school with they go to work come home and that's it,, what a shape they are, now they are in the 40,s,,,and that shape his there to stay,,,dog walking you can not beat it.....

Edited by tjones3862

road work does alot more than people think, i bike mine at a steady pace for 8mile as soon as they break into a jog/run i slow it then build it back up so they are constantly at a fast walk ,what that does is uses muscles in the body that normally dont get used by running or jogging and building the heart and lung without putting them under strain the armed forces use the same technique as called tabbing and to be honest i would prefer to run 8 mile than tab 8 mile . in or out of season i use this a couple of days a week aswell as running them in season and chasing a ball or each other out of season ,i also use the rag bag method in my garden which consists of a piece of rope tied to hessian bag both dogs love this and need no encouragement to use it, this helps build neck,back and leg muscle also the muscles for the jaw .....just a point i am no coursing or lamping only man i like my dogs to be out there and catching day or night atb steve :thumbs:

• Like 2

[bANNED TEXT] I season Huntin alone gud enough, as rest time is needed for rest

so do you give 6 months hard graft and 6 months total rest???i fthats what you mean im sorry but i dont agree with that one bit

I think you mis understood daz. I think he means that during the working season, when working flat out, the only 'conditioning' he does is through working them, as the time when they are not being worked, they need the time to rest and recuperate. :thumbs:

If he read thread on first few page I said wat I do out season

Here it is again for the daft sod :)

Cant speak for sock but for our corsers we run em behind the quad for bout 12 mile few time a week, then load free runnin. For our field bitch bit dif we run em 1 a week behind the quad rest just hunt up moochin for as many free hr a day I got but then go sumwear dead of game n get em retrievin the ball, I got 1 of them pet lover ball chuckers. Chuck, strike, retriev, chuck again. So in a week all muscle groups/fibers hit

Did you ever have a run with him aaron?

going to have a run with him this year as mates no money me him and ricky
You said that last season :laugh:

so did you [bANNED TEXT] you were going down on holiday to his :hmm: me and mark haven't got round to it yet I waz meant to go down he was meant to cum up

I WAS ib cornwall on a family holiday... 2 teenagers and a newborn babby. . But i got 400 mile closer than you :laugh:

you said you would be lamping with mb when I asked you and ricky arranged it for you

road work does alot more than people think, i bike mine at a steady pace for 8mile as soon as they break into a jog/run i slow it then build it back up so they are constantly at a fast walk ,what that does is uses muscles in the body that normally dont get used by running or jogging and building the heart and lung without putting them under strain the armed forces use the same technique as called tabbing and to be honest i would prefer to run 8 mile than tab 8 mile . in or out of season i use this a couple of days a week aswell as running them in season and chasing a ball or each other out of season ,i also use the rag bag method in my garden which consists of a piece of rope tied to hessian bag both dogs love this and need no encouragement to use it, this helps build neck,back and leg muscle also the muscles for the jaw .....just a point i am no coursing or lamping only man i like my dogs to be out there and catching day or night atb steve :thumbs:

Para's TAB (tactical advance to battle ) ,Hats March :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks dan.

Buy a smaller truck :laugh:

Not quite sure of the $ to £ conversion... but id certainly be well happy paying £4 a gallon. :thumbs:

£2 .59 a gallon

Takes the piss don't it,,, how the feck you can complain at that dan,, feck knows,,, I bet it's 20 years since it was that price here

Its $4 a gallon which I know is cheaper than yalls but its not 2.59 a gallon.

Para's TAB (tactical advance to battle ) ,Hats March :laugh::laugh::laugh:

crap hats :thumbs::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mine get road walking, mooching and ball work dailly, but it doesn't compare to the twisting and turning of working, i'm surprised no one has said different dogs need different work to get them fit, some lighter types would wilt under the workload of a strong collie x and the stronger types would go fat and lazy with a lighter workload

I just checked dan,,,, excange rate today is $1.52 = £1. Wich means your fuel at $4. Means we would pay at today's exchange rate £2.63....

By the way we pay,,, today local to me £1.35 a litter for diesel ,,,, and there's approximately 4.5 litters in a gallon,,, so that makes it just over £6 a gallon