After Vin's Food/diet Thread. What About Condtioning

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k me..I'm out of breath reading this let alone going on some of the aforementioned training regimes..for the odd rabbit and a few rats I can't really see the point :-)

I give mine a good lay off and myself . It's hard slog in the winter with working long shifts and getting the dogs out as much as possible. I would say they remain reasonably fit with walking about th

ALL THIS QUAD TALK WORK THEM TO FITNESS THATS THE ONLY WAY, TROTTING BEHIND A CAR ETC,, KEEPS THEM IN TRIM, AND THATS ABOUT IT,, TRUTH KNOWN CHUCKING A BALL ON A SCOPE 20/30 TIMES WILL DO THEM MORE GO

Posted Images

another question is how do you feed your dog's, i feed mine twice a day morning and teatime, if lamping i skip the tea until she get's home but at least she has had a morning feed as i dont like the dog to go 24 between feeds especially in winter.

i had a mooch with a member on here once, we did about 3 or 4 hours and the dogs had a good work out so i asked the lad if he fed them when he gets home,

he said no the dogs get fed once a day at the same time regardless of what they are doing.

just wandering what your thoughts are im not saying my way is best or the lad im talking about was wrong it's just good to get different oppinions

another question is how do you feed your dog's, i feed mine twice a day morning and teatime, if lamping i skip the tea until she get's home but at least she has had a morning feed as i dont like the dog to go 24 between feeds especially in winter.

i had a mooch with a member on here once, we did about 3 or 4 hours and the dogs had a good work out so i asked the lad if he fed them when he gets home,

he said no the dogs get fed once a day at the same time regardless of what they are doing.

just wandering what your thoughts are im not saying my way is best or the lad im talking about was wrong it's just good to get different oppinions

at night and when they have been ran

Now I don't know much about conditioning I guess. And I know this doesn't really mean shit, but I was at the Pelenna Valley hound show recently, with my whippet, and the bloke judging the whippets seemed really impressed at my dogs condition when he laid his hands on him, and he struck me as one of the judges i've met that knew his stuff, at least about whippets. Also folk out with me quite often comment on the dogs fitness.

So roughly, what I do is. . . .get him out as much as humanly possible. He's the kind of dog that is always on the move, always hunting and covers vast amounts of ground when we are out. I run him fit as I can, letting him hunt up, and run stuff in the day, up and down the hills and bankings. And run him at night as much as I can. I also road walk him whenever I cannot 'work' him in a day or night, and sometimes on top of that. I don't like bikes, and I have never run him behind the car, but I let him chase the quad around the shoot. . . . . . usually at about 6-10 mph, a long the tracks, through the woods etc, often for a couple of hours. I cross streams or by ponds quite often, so he can dunk himself and cool off. . . . I intersperse this with some fast stuff, at more like 15/20 mph, something like that, flat out across the fields, back and fore, round and round. . . . . . and he really does try to catch up with me. Unfortunatly he hates swimming, or i'd get him doing that. He also plays with the hound for hours in the garden, running flat out. All of this kind of stuff daily seems to work for me :thumbs:

Edited by Ideation

A couple of local-ish coursing lads i know run theres behind the motor and a few other lads up and down the country do this as well. Ive never tried it myself, i imagine finding a suitable road would be a problem round here. Anybody else do this ? How far and fast and were ect ? :thumbs:

A couple of local-ish coursing lads i know run theres behind the motor and a few other lads up and down the country do this as well. Ive never tried it myself, i imagine finding a suitable road would be a problem round here. Anybody else do this ? How far and fast and were ect ? :thumbs:

I run my dog 6 miles 5 days a week 15 mph and the other two days I mooch with her and my kids missis atb

DSC_0391_zps43d6f2a6.jpg

works out 6 mile in 24ish mins on tarmac! just my opinion might look good now but keep that up 5 days a week an i dont think he will have a very long career.

Edited by lamp it luke

[bANNED TEXT] I season Huntin alone gud enough, as rest time is needed for rest

so do you give 6 months hard graft and 6 months total rest???i fthats what you mean im sorry but i dont agree with that one bit

depends on how hard you work your dogs most lads on here only run the dogs a couple of nights a week in season could do it all year if i didnt get to warm nowt hard about that.But then theres lads who hammer the dogs for a season an they end up with heads like jigsaws double figure reds an mabe run 400+ rabbits a season there ready for a break and after winding down its total rest for me!! no fitness training just 2 walks a day!

Edited by lamp it luke

[bANNED TEXT] I season Huntin alone gud enough, as rest time is needed for rest

so do you give 6 months hard graft and 6 months total rest???i fthats what you mean im sorry but i dont agree with that one bit

I think you mis understood daz. I think he means that during the working season, when working flat out, the only 'conditioning' he does is through working them, as the time when they are not being worked, they need the time to rest and recuperate. :thumbs:

• Like 1