Top Line Coursing Dog Men..question About Dog Diets.

Guest vin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chappie as a base meal,i always like to feed tilda wild rice with gree thai curry paste,a tin of amoy coconut milk for added fat and the night before coursing 3 bags of prawn crackers at 12 midnight..

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regula

I'm not a top coursing man , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly

I wild wolf is unlikely to get carbs,,, apart from the stomach of a herbivore,,, even then I dowt they eat that much , of it,,, they will rely on fat as energy,, and protien wich can be turned in to energy,,, also Remember our running dogs proberbly doo more than a wild wolf ,,, yes they might run for a few miles to kill a big beast,,, but then hang around the carcas for a few days befor catching somthing else..

There not going up the dales banging rabbit after rabbit over,,, or running 4-5 hares in a day ect ect

• Like 3

You know ,,,do wolfs really eat the stomach contents,,I often wonder,,, more likely they eat the actual stomach and flesh of the guts rather than its actual contents,,, of course some of the contents are going to get eaten,,, but I bet they avoid as much as is possible

I would think that dogs have evolved to make better use of carbs than wolves: thousands of years of evolution alongside humans will have given them a digestive system better adapted to eat our left overs. Plus, we demand far more of our working dogs. Look at horses: wild horses live happily on grass etc: it is only when they are put into hard work that they need a much higher protein (only speaking of horses here, not dogs) diet.

• Like 1

You know ,,,do wolfs really eat the stomach contents,,I often wonder,,, more likely they eat the actual stomach and flesh of the guts rather than its actual contents,,, of course some of the contents are going to get eaten,,, but I bet they avoid as much as is possible

Tomo...dead ewe with a stomach full of grass is a good example...foxes will eat the stomach and I suppose some of the content adhering to the stomach wall...but you will find stomach contents left when all else is gone...

Is it hard to keep weight on a dog fed on a BARF diet?

Depends on the type of dog and how much work it is doing in my experience. I have a little fat Collie thing that can almost live on fresh air: I try not to give her any carbs, and restrict her fat intake too. She lives on a quarter of the amount I give to another dog of similar size, but the Collie thing is like a wild animal: she doesn't tear about burning up energy like a dog, but sneaks around hugging hedgerows in order to catch a rabbit using as little energy as possible. Even when she is working, she has such a good metabolism that she uses everything she eats.

• Like 1

I have run with some of the best dogs in England on the fen some of those dogs are fed on what the corner shop sells and put up a good show a lot of the lads only tell you what you want to here I give them this and that I feed mine on gain 28 and the scraps from the table and they can hold there own

I wild wolf is unlikely to get carbs,,, apart from the stomach of a herbivore,,, even then I dowt they eat that much , of it,,, they will rely on fat as energy,, and protien wich can be turned in to energy,,, also Remember our running dogs proberbly doo more than a wild wolf ,,, yes they might run for a few miles to kill a big beast,,, but then hang around the carcas for a few days befor catching somthing else..

There not going up the dales banging rabbit after rabbit over,,, or running 4-5 hares in a day ect ect

Them wolves dont eat Redmills or Gain complete . . . This is whats puzzling to me. . . Should we use both RAW and complete...this seems the way most are doing it.

I havnt given my pup any complete so far from 8 weeks old...its been totally RAW and she,s looking well on it..But I also worry that im not doing her the best I possibly can by not giving her some Complete too...?

I've been looking upon Minced chicken carcass as the complete (kibble) part of the diet and then adding beef/lamb/rabbit/chicken livers / fish and lots of lamb/mutton fat plus assorted raw veggies

I've been mixing approx 50% chicken carcass to 40% red meat etc etc and rest the veg..The pup gets extra lamb/mutton trims and offcuts..plus a few tins of tomatoes every now and then go in the mix.

Its all down to an old argument with one of my very old coursing pals from the good old days... He says no coursing dog will last the day on a RAW/BARF diet.

I think he,s wrong. :whistling:

McDonald`s every time, fast food = fast dogs :laugh:

My mutt on 1 trip to fens nicked me big mack [BANNED TEXT] the dog guard droped strait out me hand the b*****d, cant complain tho got me 5 out 5 on that day n a handy £1800

Think we mite be on to sunthing paulus mite try rebull next time mite just give em wings haha

ive always fed pups on the best complete puppy and sapling food i can get with

raw food aswell, ive never been able to run a dog threw nights lamping on just

raw as well as when there on a good complete with minced lamb or fat added

ive just got a coursing bred pup so im hoping this diet will work for day work aswell

as it does for lamping

like i said earlier and going along with skycat every dog is different and it's a poor dogman that treats all his mutts the same....rules are there to be broken by both dogs and humans........my collie x puts on weight passing a butchers and my higher strung fussier deerhound x needs tempting at every mealtime she seems to need more protien ( a higher percentage) and what she eats one day she wont the next.......if i were to swap the two bowls for a week i'd get done by rspca on 2 counts one for obesity and the other for starvation

• Like 1

Iv always fed a Top End Greyhound Complete meal Redmills Racer/Exel ( before it seemed to go off the boil ie loose stools )

Now i swap and change between Gain 28% and Gain Record Breaker or mix the 2

Pups either Gain Puppy and Sapling or Australian Puppy and Sapling

Then Mix with Quality Beef/Horsemeat/Chicken/Turkey/Veg/Pasta/Rice

and supplement with White E' Bonemeal'That Bit Xtra' Super Solvtax Horse Oil or Curragh Oil

Done Lurchers and Greyhounds the same way and all Well Enough on it.

Give them a marrow bone once in a while if in Hard hard work a touch of b12 once per month and thats about it.

Dufalite if they have had a hard race' day or night once in a blue moon.

:thumbs: They have changed the formula on red mills racer now and it seems better, i feed this along with what you have mentioned above works good for me.