Top Line Coursing Dog Men..question About Dog Diets.

Guest vin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chappie as a base meal,i always like to feed tilda wild rice with gree thai curry paste,a tin of amoy coconut milk for added fat and the night before coursing 3 bags of prawn crackers at 12 midnight..

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regula

I'm not a top coursing man , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly

So Redmills is the bag of choice with the coursing boys from what I can see.

Its time our resident book writer wrote a book on dog nutrition i thinks.

Trouble is who is he going to ask for the correct anwers.

OK, so I worded it wrongly: dogs use fat as their primary source of energy; carbs take longer to metabolise. Dogs doing long distance work, and in particular Saluki types, which have evolved to run on a diet containing less protein than a raw meat diet (historically speaking), do better on more carbs than dogs which are doing only short sprint runs, in which case they need more protein as they have fast twitch muscles which operate more on an anaerobic basis than long distance runners like Salukis.

I've yet to keep the weight on a hard working Saluki type by feeding it just meat, bone and fat: bang a load of carbs in and they maintain their weight just fine even when coursing several times a week. So much depends on how the type of dog and where it evolved geographically. I remember reading about Salukis in one of the Arab countries many years ago: most were fed on a diet of pitta bread and dates, with a bit of milk. They seldom had meat at all. One rich sheik started to feed his dogs on lamb, and they ran poorly on that diet. If you fed a coursing Greyhound on just bread and milk it would lose condition very fast indeed: it needs lots of protein to rebuild muscle fibres which are broken down during running. Basically, dogs with big bulgy type muscles need a higher protein diet than those with long flat muscles like Salukis and Collies. Can't be a*sed to write a dissertation on it right now, but that is it in simplified form.

Carb loading doesn't work on dogs either: apparently they have to be fed a certain amount of carbs daily for their bodies to learn how to use it correctly, so just banging in a load of pasta the day before running hard isn't going to make any difference. All dogs need quality protein after work to help rebuild the body, especially the muscles.

Dan: you don't need any more biscuits :laugh::tongue2:

• Like 1

When I go for a run I take a tin of tuna with me,is this anygood lads?

yeah when you start flagging after the dog you can tuck in between runs get ya energy back up :laugh: , you still serving that rather nice rice pudding up the one with a pinch of nutmeg :victory:

oh and if the dog runs badly you could always chuck the tin of tuna at it :boogy:

Edited by arcticgun

yeah when you start flagging after the dog you can tuck in between runs get ya energy back up :laugh: , you still serving that rather nice rice pudding up the one with a pinch of nutmeg :victory:

Only dead of winter pal,the fens flyer gets a teaspoon of the finest raspberry conserve in hers and manuka honey and a sprinkle of hundrerds and thousands

• Like 1

That depends entirely on the type of tin,

If it is one of the old fashioned ones that need a tin opener to access the contents,

ie " slow release", or if it is the newer type with the built in thumb puller,ie quick release

.Totally different effects will be felt, depending on your choice of tin.I can't stress how important this is.

It's vital to get the type that suits your dog.

eg Fast away dog = quick release tin.Slow away = slow release tin

.Always check the tin

p.s. If you are not sure which type of dog you have,

Maybe you're in the wrong game.

Hope this helps.

Edited by inan
  • Like 2

If it is one of the old fashioned ones that need a tin opener to access the contents,ie "quick release", or if it is the newer type with the built in thumb puller,ie quick release

.Totally different effects will be felt, depending on your choice of tin.I can't stress how important this is.

Its vital to get the type that suits your dog.

.Always check the tin

Hope this helps.

Thanks,i sometimes take a tinned fray bentos steak pie aswell :toast:

Only dead of winter pal,the fens flyer gets a teaspoon of the finest raspberry conserve in hers and manuka honey and a sprinkle of hundrerds and thousands

which brand of preserve :laugh: details I need details :yes:

If it is one of the old fashioned ones that need a tin opener to access the contents,ie "quick release", or if it is the newer type with the built in thumb puller,ie quick release

Its vital to get the type that suits your dog.

.Always check the tin

Hope this helps.

Thanks,i sometimes take a tinned fray bentos steak pie aswell :toast:

couple that in with the tuna , braising steak dinner and regular portions of Pickering's finest chips you will end up a fatty :icon_eek:

which brand of preserve :laugh: details I need details :yes:

Bonne Maman jam...25 strength manuka :toast::toast::toast: :toast:

• Like 1