Top Line Coursing Dog Men..question About Dog Diets.

Guest vin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chappie as a base meal,i always like to feed tilda wild rice with gree thai curry paste,a tin of amoy coconut milk for added fat and the night before coursing 3 bags of prawn crackers at 12 midnight..

You can feed a dog on fillet steak or Orijen which imo is the best complete dog meal available,[and so it should be at over £60 for 13kg], but if the dog is not getting the required amount of regula

I'm not a top coursing man , but in my experience, fitness conditioning is as, if not more important than the diet. Diet alone won't get and keep a dog running. Many years ago, my OH had a mongrelly

Hello all,

Sorry this argument has been done a few times I'm sure.

Question is..What do you chaps with these 5k Fen dogs and pups costing £1500.00 feed them on..?

Is it BARF or Complete ? or Both ?

I'm in the middle of an old argument with one of my old Coursing pals about diet and running dogs etc etc.

He says that he ran one of his best ever dogs on Redmills racer with a bit of minced meat,but the dog ran poorly on anything else including complete Barf diet.

He keeps the same rules of diet now with his champion field trial spaniels etc etc and he says that his dog that can outwork most other dogs all day long would not be able to do the same on a Barf diet.

The lad really does know his stuff on dogs but i personally think that he,s wrong. . .I think the dog or any dog would do better on a complete Raw/Barf diet and he just didnt know how to feed the correct Raw diet to get the best out of his dogs at the time.

He goes on and on about the old boys from across the pond who fed there dogs serlion steak and says he still beat them with his dogs.. I said he would have done even better if he fed them what nature intended all round..meaning RAW.

So please chaps without any arguments what do you really feed a champion ?

in my dog life i had two premiership atheletes and belief me theve got to be fed bang on ,if not they will not get through the season .picky eaters forget it ,im talking running 7 to 10 hares aweek .competitive coursing in the day every body wanted the edge it could be the difference between the winning hartley above all the breeding has got to be paramount .you can feed the best food if the desire not there you got no chance.am feed milk/orange juice mix one slice marmite toasted or breakfast cereal weetabix,supplements .teatime a good 24 to 27 percent to maintain body , horse meat 3 times a week with this tablespoon of lard enhances the fat content of the lean meat before running b complex . if i used to win a match back to kennels steak and toast lightly grilled as a treat make sure clean water at all times addition of electrolytes after coursing ps sighthounds love garlic a clove is good for worms to much no good a little garlic is beneficial for general health good for digestion but to much can be harmful yours in top atheletes the pinkster

Hello all,

Question is..What do you chaps with these 5k Fen dogs and pups costing £1500.00 feed them on..?

I'm in the middle of an old argument with one of my old Coursing pals about diet and running dogs etc etc.

He says that he ran one of his best ever dogs on Redmills racer with a bit of minced meat,but the dog ran poorly on anything else including complete Barf diet.

He keeps the same rules of diet now with his champion field trial spaniels etc etc and he says that his dog that can outwork most other dogs all day long would not be able to do the same on a Barf diet.

The lad really does know his stuff on dogs but i personally think that he,s wrong. . .I think the dog or any dog would do better on a complete Raw/Barf diet and he just didnt know how to feed the correct Raw diet to get the best out of his dogs at the time.

He goes on and on about the old boys from across the pond who fed there dogs serlion steak and says he still beat them with his dogs.. I said he would have done even better if he fed them what nature intended all round..meaning RAW.

in my dog life i had two premiership atheletes and belief me theve got to be fed bang on ,if not they will not get through the season .picky eaters forget it ,im talking running 7 to 10 hares aweek .competitive coursing in the day every body wanted the edge it could be the difference between the winning hartley above all the breeding has got to be paramount .you can feed the best food if the desire not there you got no chance.am feed milk/orange juice mix one slice marmite toasted or breakfast cereal weetabix,supplements .teatime a good 24 to 27 percent to maintain body , horse meat 3 times a week with this tablespoon of lard enhances the fat content of the lean meat before running b complex . if i used to win a match back to kennels steak and toast lightly grilled as a treat make sure clean water at all times addition of electrolytes after coursing ps sighthounds love garlic a clove is good for worms to much no good a little garlic is beneficial for general health good for digestion but to much can be harmful yours in top atheletes the pinkster

wat do you know :laugh:

Hello all,

not alot cause ive only had 2 in 30 f****n years :yes:

• Like 1

Hello all,

not alot cause ive only had 2 in 30 f****n years :yes:

how were they bred mate they take some getting :yes:

Hello all,

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::toast::toast::toast:

• Like 2

Oh and obviously none of them can be kept on a self feeder in the summer months. They will get fat on you for sure then but in the winter when they are sore and tired 7 days a week most of them cant hardly eat enough to stay kept up. Its a very fine line with dogs that are good enough to be on a self feeder and those that literally just wont eat enough to stay up the whole winter. Some are just too picky to make it.

So you feed them mostly on some form of complete kibble type diet ? in a feeder or not.

Yes sir in a self feeder and then we toss meat to em or scraps or whatever when we think bout it but like I said not all dogs can be kept that way cuz they gluttons.

Oh and obviously none of them can be kept on a self feeder in the summer months. They will get fat on you for sure then but in the winter when they are sore and tired 7 days a week most of them cant hardly eat enough to stay kept up. Its a very fine line with dogs that are good enough to be on a self feeder and those that literally just wont eat enough to stay up the whole winter. Some are just too picky to make it.

So you feed them mostly on some form of complete kibble type diet ? in a feeder or not.

Yes sir in a self feeder and then we toss meat to em or scraps or whatever when we think bout it but like I said not all dogs can be kept that way cuz they gluttons.

brown bread

So Redmills is the bag of choice with the coursing boys from what I can see.

Its time our resident book writer wrote a book on dog nutrition i thinks.

Trouble is who is he going to ask for the correct anwers.

Redmills is shite lol...it's Irish so that speaks volumes haha..only kidding guys :-) you lads are fine it's the meal that's nothing out of the ordinary IMO...the old saying is "you can only get out what you have put in" meaning both feed and training...nigh on all the low end priced complete food is of low quality if fed alone but most with the addition of one or two things can drastically improve them...it's a game of trial and error as just because what suits one dog may very well have very different results with the dog in the next kennel..my dogs aint worth a toss but that's just my take on things :-)

• Like 1

all i will say on ths subject is......how come we are so smart when it comes to our dogs and whats best for them...........when far smarter folk than me

cant decide whats best for us humans, we get so many conflicing opinions in what is best for us but then when it comes to dogs we know EXACTLY

what they need......all i can say is WE DONT, we have an idea and we do are best and judge by performance which isnt a bad thing by the way.......

But we just cant say what is best as we cant decide whats best for us,,,,,,,,,,onE day it's good for us the next it isnt, even salmon was bad for you not that

long ago FFS.

all i do is give a very varied diet with a few supliments and hope for the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dazzz
  • Like 3

There's a lot of different brands over here as well as the rest of the U.K. and I suspect there is not much difference in quality because in order to claim any product as a "complete" diet it must contain a certain minimum variety of nutrients. I'm sure that Australian marketing costs more than most and that's why the price is higher than most, same as Hills and Eukanuba etc. but I still feed natural....after all these years.

• Like 1

I feed hills science plan with all the other stuff i feed, including, raw, cooked,veg,brown bread, fish,pasta, rice,eggs,cheese,milk, and if i miss anything i hope hill's will provide whatever i miss