Working Collie

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive lost count of the amount of times ive stood and watched a farmer working his Collie,especially on the hills.The way they cover the ground,tirelessly for hours at a time,working on minimal commands

I worked as a hill shepherd for many years when I was a youngster...I worked sheep and cattle with my collies and also hunted them alongside my lurchers and terriers...and lamped rabbits with them too

Personaly,..   I think you ether get on with herding dogs,.or you don't...

Posted Images

Great thread guys my uncle used to have 2 half x collies brother n sister extremely intelligent didn't really look like lurchers but had enough speed to catch and could run until you were mackerel and needed go home but I think people don't put enough praise on the greyhound side as that's where the will to chase at all costs comes from so maybe the dogs that pick and choose runs the grey side didn't have enough want left over from the pairing? Just a thought

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I got this pic from my mums house the other day. Me, my younger bro and Trixy, which I posted on on page 5 of the thred.

(WARNING.. I accept no responsibility for any damaged eyes because of the couches pattern!!) :icon_eek:

post-8037-0-51175900-1373891002_thumb.jpg

I got this pic from my mums house the other day. Me, my younger bro and Trixy, which I posted on on page 5 of the thred.

(WARNING.. I accept no responsibility for any damaged eyes because of the couches pattern!!) :icon_eek:

attachicon.gif419805_10151315807780167_961303388_n (640x639).jpg

Even the dog looks embarrassed :thumbs:

The shepherd on our place has a few collies about him. 1 bitch can run all day in front of his quad at most speeds and 1 of the dogs (his best) has caught 2 foxes on the hill. I have said to him a few times he should put a grew to his bitch, no luck yet. She has pups at the minute to the good dog and 4 of them are light grey / silver and white, stunning.

• Like 2

Good old pic Bosun. i will dig one of the old collie i had as a kid.

Edited by darbo

The shepherd on our place has a few collies about him. 1 bitch can run all day in front of his quad at most speeds and 1 of the dogs (his best) has caught 2 foxes on the hill. I have said to him a few times he should put a grew to his bitch, no luck yet. She has pups at the minute to the good dog and 4 of them are light grey / silver and white, stunning.

Bad timing for pups as far as the shepherds are concerned...very few look to have summer pups...busiest time of the year and a bitch rearing pups ain't much good doing and is basically viewed as doing nowt...when I as 'herding most fellas had pups born in the back end...bitches weren't missed as much then... :thumbs:

• Like 1

a lot of dogs will chase sheep all day, but dose that mean all these dogs will chase rabbits all day, or lamp all nite,,,, iff we want stam in the dog most of us go towards the sulkci, but going back to the collie bit, a lot of collies hill collie or a beach pet collie have been known many many times jack on the 1st hour on the lamp and have bags of wind left in them,,,,,so were dose the bit come into were they can chase sheep all day,,,the rabbit game his totally different.........

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 1

I was not in the same league as Border Scott, I ran 25 Pedigree Texels,

back to the subject, over the years I have seen a few Collie X Greyhounds all bred from working Hill Collies, theres plenty where I come from, and all bred from trackers from the local flapping track.

The ones I seen all took to the rabbiting game, like a duck to water.

none were bred from coursing Greyhounds, and no trial Collies, just workers who would work the hill.

a lot of dogs will chase sheep all day, but dose that mean all these dogs will chase rabbits all day, or lamp all nite,,,, iff we want stam in the dog most of us go towards the sulkci, but going back to the collie bit, a lot of collies hill collie or a beach pet collie have been known many many times jack on the 1st hour on the lamp and have bags of wind left in them,,,,,so were dose the bit come into were they can chase sheep all day,,,the rabbit game his totally different.........

I that's wye they put it to the gh and bull for fire my friend has a very good half collie quarter bull quarter grey its got a lot of heart

I that's wye they put it to the gh and bull for fire my friend has a very good half collie quarter bull quarter grey its got a lot of heart when you going on trip mate

Bad timing for pups as far as the shepherds are concerned...very few look to have summer pups...busiest time of the year and a bitch rearing pups ain't much good doing and is basically viewed as doing nowt...when I as 'herding most fellas had pups born in the back end...bitches weren't missed as much then... :thumbs:

Certainly was bad timing, end of lambing, marking etc but it was a mistake as he never noticed she was in season :thumbs: