Price Of Pups?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never sell pups do gift them out to friends that you can trust. any dog I didn't bred in my kennels was gifted to me apart from a Russell bitch I have. That's the way it should be

most i ever payed for a pup was quid back in 2001-last year i was lucky enough to buy a well bred bitch from 2 very good lines and it cost me 300 notes-you all go on about not paying for pups and gif

This argument over the price tag on a pup will go on forever.I personally think that if someone wants to sell there pups for whatever price they require then its there business,they are not bending an

I didn't bother reading the whole thread. Same old song and dance, as Fatman already stated. I think the whole "free terrier only" BS has run the sport through the mud just as much as any selling has done. You can sell to a genuine lad as easily as give to a genuine lad. I have had so many offers of free dogs it has made me right pissed that i haven't recieved a single one of those dogs in 3 years of looking for good dogs. I waited and waited on a couple folks to come through. They were always promising "You'll be the first to hear of a litter" Come to find out they may have had two or three litters in that time, I never hear of it. Annoys the hell out of me. You know who has come through? People who were selling. Interesting. I also heard of a young man who went through 14 dogs of very good breeding in two years. All were given to him, all were culled in their first season. WTF So who's dragging the dogs through the mud? I've also been offered dogs and for a month the man is talking gift gift gift. Come the time for me to get the dog, OH by the way it's $400.So the gifting was a liars game to keep me interested. Putting a price on dogs hasn't ruined gundogs, hounds, feists or any animal in fact. Damn good animals are damned hard to maintain at a high performance level. Nothing wrong with getting money for hard work. And ironically enough, the people who charge are the only ones that follow through. I have a good friend whose dogs would put most mens to shame for the work he does, he sells his dogs for a hefty price. But you know what, he maintains dogs with excellent noses, the exact amount of grit he wants and consistency to boot. Everydog I've had from him performed exactly the same, not what i wanted but exactly what he wanted. He sells them and has one of the best breeding programs around?! Whaat?! It's true. Not only that, he'll gift to a friend. It's not all about greed folks. A worker is worth it's due.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't think there's any breay dogs left would you? It's your fantasy well bred dog, whatever you want to buy.....a well bred terrier that gives you a hard on...it may or may not be any better than what you have....just a dream lad

i dont need or want to buy any dog i am very happy with what ive got and i dont do dog fantasys :thumbs:

Not a real dogman r ya then

more of a cat lover to be fair ...but i have a go :thumbs: it would be nice to see and here about the dogs you own being the real deal and that ;)

They wouldn't suit you.....your happy with what you have....if you want a my cock is bigger than yours go have it with someone else...

its not a comp voon i was just intrested in your dogs :thumbs:

Don't predipose my answer then by using the adjective "real deal", then someone might be inclined to answer you.....it's comes across that your trying to be a "wise ass"

I have

Black Paterdale Dog 4.5 good finder and stayer unkown breeding bred in wales

Choclate Bitch half patterdale, quarter plummer. quarter bull, just 2.....two digs unproven...good nose

Alsation dog useless

did you get any pics voon

look out for a undershot one, they'll be very cheap :)

Here they go to ground early and stay permenently. The right price for a pup is the one you paid for the dog that lives up to it's expectations. If you find yourself wondering if it is worth the price... it's probably not. And any pup... free or otherwise will give you plenty of opportunity to determine it's worth, and that of the man who bred it. The notion that a price tag or lack of is a determinent of quality is stupid. I've given terriers to guys I know that let them sit in a kennel until they thought they were old enough to engage game, and listened to them wonder why they wouldn't enter the water or open on track. Hell... they never got the chance to become dogs. I've seen people do the same to pups they paid for.

A few years back I knew some guys that wanted to import jagds but didn't want to spend the money. SO...I thought... why not arrange for a litter to be bred in Europe from dogs they liked and import the pups. I decided to ask a guy I know to rent one of his bitches and have her covered by a dog they all wanted pups from.... So I did and he agreed. The condition I gave those interested is that they would get a free pup from a breeding they wanted but that they would have to pay for transport. The idea was that two could fly in a crate and that those that rode for free could be given to folks who couldn't afford shipping but would be able to prove them out thus increasing the gene pool here in the states.

Wanna guess who got left holding the bag? Not a single person who agreed in advance..... (the same people who chose the breeding pair) came through. The price for shipping would have been 400 euro and change per pair.. The price for making the breeding was quite a bit higher. The man who made the breeding got a bonous.... and I got a lesson.

It takes allot to make a good dog. People have to want to do their part. I will cull everything that isn't right at birth, give or sell the rest to hunters. If all it took was pinning a price tag to a pups ass to get it to hunt we wouldn't have to go looking for them..... if gifting dogs turned them into worldbeaters no one would make any money selling them.

There's hype comming from both types.... and the right price for a pup is the one you can afford. No sense in getting all butt sore about the one you can't have for free... or pay for.

• Like 2

I can be Corkey..... No question about it. But you seem to have a problem with simple logic. Money isn't responisble for ruining dogs.... lazy is. The fact that people in general hunt less is also part of the reason there are fewer good dogs than they used to be.

I've had pups gifted that were as good as anything..... but that isn't what made them good. Moseby, Fat man, and Stig all made valid points..... If you only hunt free dogs so be it. I have absolutely no problem paying for a dog. It's a nice thought Corkey.... but the evidence doesn't support your claim.

• Like 1

I dont agree with the point that someone will put more time/effort into a pup they pay for. Fact is an arsehole is an arsehole whether he pays for it or not. Jawn if you have to import dogs from another country your hands are tied mate moneywise. I appreciate what you're saying though, its up to each of us to make our own choices. Personally I'd never look to sell a dog

• Like 2

50 no more no less by the time you pay to rear it its still a dear dog at that because thats all the are a wee pup and only a certain amount in the litter will work so your taking a chance no matter who or what they are bred from[/quote) Sounds good to me [BANNED TEXT] ill be 50 up then lol

Edited by back fill

It all boils down to a persons judge of character when giving pups out IMO. You would only give a pup to someone that (you thought) you could trust to bring it on and have the right amount of work for it and give the dog every chance etc etc, otherwise you wouldn't give them the dog, and if they f****d you over or went against their word then they wouldn't be given the chance again and to me that's the only time when gifting pups out that it can go wrong, which IMO would be a very small percentage of the time as that person would have been vouched for by another trusted friend etc etc and would only be shooting themselves in the foot.

Whereas people who breed a litter for money are not thinking (or thinking very little) about the welfare of that pup's future and to them once it's sold it's gone and that's it and that's when the wankers get hold of the dogs and ill treat them, and don't bring them on right and expect the dog to be a world beater after not being out of the yard ever in it's life, and then you get that person slagging the breeder off and that line of dogs etc. And then breeding off the fecking thing and so the cycle continues.

And that to me is why there's a massive difference between selling and gifting. (Rant over) :D

• Like 1

50 no more no less by the time you pay to rear it its still a dear dog at that because thats all the are a wee pup and only a certain amount in the litter will work so your taking a chance no matter who or what they are bred from[/quote) Sounds good to me [bANNED TEXT] ill be 50 up then lol

Lol that wee litter are priceless