Great Huntsmen

It's all a bit quite in this section so to keep things ticking over i've got a question for you all.

From your experiences what makes a great Huntsman ?

I look forward hear all your opinions

atb RAW

Edited by R.A.W

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as

One of the main problems is that in the past, to become a huntsman you had to start at the bottom and work your way up until you became the huntsman to one of the smaller pack's, do a few seasons and

Not only are fell and most foot pack differant to there mounted counterparts they are funded differently , selction of staff at mounted pack can be by the master masters , on recommendation , i. D

Experience with hounds and horses - spotting potential problems, and doing something about them. Understanding the lay of the land, and how it will affect not only hounds and horses, but the quarry - both for scent and moving over the land. A respect for the countryside. An even temper to cope with anti's. And a good sense of humour.

• Like 1

Times have changed so has hunting and the job of the huntsman has changed too but pre ban I always liked to see a huntsman with a good voice who liked to use it and a huntsman who could get a bit excited. I'm not saying that was an important skill and to be honest a noisey excitable huntsman isnt the best combination but I love hunting and it should be exciting, hell I wish I could get on my hands and knees and hunt along with the hounds when they are running. So even if it dosnt make for the best or most successful hunting in the strictest sense of the word, some of the best and most memorable hunts, for me, have been where the huntsman has got a bit carried away himself in the heat and excitement of the moment, though I wont name any names :D

• Like 3

Hard work, being a diplomat, fox sense, knowing hounds inside and out, being able to smile while in a bad mood , being able to watch hounds while there's ten people talking to you at the same time, knowing the right bitch to bring to the right male, long hours ,small wages, etc. etc.

Easy.

• Like 3

Hard work, being a diplomat, fox sense, knowing hounds inside and out, being able to smile while in a bad mood , being able to watch hounds while there's ten people talking to you at the same time, knowing the right bitch to bring to the right male, long hours ,small wages, etc. etc.

Easy.

Fecking hell Neil, thats sommat I ain't heard said in a while, in the right circumstance, dead right too... :yes::thumbs:

Times have changed so has hunting and the job of the huntsman has changed too but pre ban I always liked to see a huntsman with a good voice who liked to use it and a huntsman who could get a bit excited. I'm not saying that was an important skill and to be honest a noisey excitable huntsman isnt the best combination but I love hunting and it should be exciting, hell I wish I could get on my hands and knees and hunt along with the hounds when they are running. So even if it dosnt make for the best or most successful hunting in the strictest sense of the word, some of the best and most memorable hunts, for me, have been where the huntsman has got a bit carried away himself in the heat and excitement of the moment, though I wont name any names :D

:laugh: spot on.....it's so hard not to get carried away.

You know a good huntsmen when you see one. There seems to be a invisible thread between him and his hounds almost as though he was actually amongst the pack hunting himself. Hounds are devoted to a good houndman just as much has he is to them. A huntsmen that has to hang on to a fox, in a poorly foxed country is often the best to watch rather than a guy that goes from cover to cover with big numbers of foxes a foot. The old retired badsworth huntsmen, was a master of his craft but a funny bugger on hunting days and in kennels

You are right about the badsworth huntsman but he had patience and could find foxes in poorly foxed and overshot country which is more than you can say for some of the younger generation of huntsman. They need a phone to find one.

• Like 1

Prich bland

Johny nick

Johny rich

Capt farq

What made them great there passion for hunting and hounds and there belief of there is no such thing as

A bad days hunting. Some are just better than others From dawn till dusk. Wind rain or snow There are great huntmen around to day but we live in a differant age and the dont need any more attention

It's all a bit quite in this section so to keep things ticking over i've got a question for you all.

From your experiences what makes a great Huntsman ?

I look forward hear all your opinions

atb RAW

Knowledge,understanding and above all an overwhelming passion :thumbs: