Great Huntsmen

Huntsman that make too much noise drawing a cover to me shows he either likes the sound of his own voice or his charges need encouraging to draw, yes its fine sometimes if scents bad or it's late on in a blank day, but a good pack should be itching to get to the cover to find there trail & find it on there own, unless there that sharp that the trail layer needs waking up before he gets chopped..

Like wise a huntsman that's in a hurry to lift there heads at a check irritates me, for a pack to become quick at correcting at a check they need to do it on there own or they won't learn a thing,

A good huntsman should have 100% trust & faith in his pack on all but the worst of days, because the ground work has already been done, nothing or nobody can hunt a line better than a good pack of hounds, don't interfere, leave them to do what there bred for.

Another thing that can make or break a huntsman is the staff he has around him.

A sure sign of a bad one is one that's alway hoping his phone or radio will find a trail for him..

The love of the fox & his cunning should also be up there..

Everyone's views are different, there's a name mentioned on here who to me is nothing but a piss head that got carried by his staff & the name he somehow made for himself..

• Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as

One of the main problems is that in the past, to become a huntsman you had to start at the bottom and work your way up until you became the huntsman to one of the smaller pack's, do a few seasons and

Not only are fell and most foot pack differant to there mounted counterparts they are funded differently , selction of staff at mounted pack can be by the master masters , on recommendation , i. D

also depends on the country, iv seen one or 2 hunt countries where the foxes could be woken up with the noise of the huntsman drawing and given a good head start over perfect country, the foxes so fit in the season it all looked like one perfect set piece, and points were all that mattered once hunting proper started. In another area it is all about catching foxes in a difficult country and getting hounds away together on the foxes back was more important. Under current circumstances a huntsman maybe cant be as pro active about getting hounds away after the drag man and maybe has to let them work things out in their own quiet time. Iv seen huntsmen in terrible countries with roads, gardens and no go areas all around providing some sport and fun in areas that most people would of given up on, were they less of a huntsman than the big names in good countries?

Anybody (well all most anybody :D ) who takes out a pack of hounds in todays over crowded, dangerous (for hounds) hunt countries, with trouble makers hidden in covers deserves our respect and admiration.

• Like 4

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as you do ,the only hounds you get are draft hounds that have faults,unless you take over a pack that someone , has had to finish due to ill health,but with these hounds that you have got, you still have to make a bond with them,this could take upto as much as 3 years,they are the same as people,we don't all get on with each other, also as a huntsman we all have a different view about the way the hounds hunt ,or the type of hounds we hunt, as a huntsman we are always in the public's eye,yes it is easy to criticize as a follower,hounds should be doing this and why is'nt the huntsman doing that,as i said it takes 3 years for a huntsman to start to get what he is aiming to achieve in the pack,while all this is going on he also has to please, the i can do it huntsmen,the typical type are the terrier boy's,sorry lads, years ago i was one of them,if we wasn't having foxes in the ground the hounds huntsman was shit,IS'NT THAT RIGHT,back on a serious note,the huntsman has picked a few bitches and dogs that he would like to line,now we are on the road to getting a great huntsman,and a pack of hounds that everyone is talking about,the terriermen have now been silenced because they can't cope,the only problem i have seen over the years is ,not many huntsmen stay in the same job long enough to achieve their gold,thus leaving themselves open for a slaging,(some of them need it)not all of them.But when one huntsman is named in this post,that has given so much sport to people,hunted one of the hardest countries around for forty years,bred hounds and supplied them all over the country and over the water,with success,there is only a handfull of terriermen that would sit in the same room as him and talk about hunting and breeding dogs,as for a natural huntsman,it's the love of the chase,you keep hounds 24-7 you will know what i mean,we are still learning 26 years down the road something different,hounds make talk for good huntsmen and the country they run over OD

OD, you didn't mention that truly great huntsmen always bring a big flask of piping hot coffee to share with their followers at the end of the day?

SORRY MATE I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT :thumbs:

Huntsman that make too much noise drawing a cover to me shows he either likes the sound of his own voice or his charges need encouraging to draw, yes its fine sometimes if scents bad or it's late on in a blank day, but a good pack should be itching to get to the cover to find there trail & find it on there own, unless there that sharp that the trail layer needs waking up before he gets chopped..

Like wise a huntsman that's in a hurry to lift there heads at a check irritates me, for a pack to become quick at correcting at a check they need to do it on there own or they won't learn a thing,

A good huntsman should have 100% trust & faith in his pack on all but the worst of days, because the ground work has already been done, nothing or nobody can hunt a line better than a good pack of hounds, don't interfere, leave them to do what there bred for.

A sure sign of a bad one is one that's alway hoping his phone or radio will find a trail for him..

Everyone's views are different, there's a name mentioned on here who to me is nothing but a piss head that got carried by his staff & the name he somehow made for himself..

I was chatting to a guy yesterday and we were talking about the importance of a good whip . A good whip can surely make a bad huntsman look a lot better.

Do you all think good whips make better huntsmen ?

I know, I know ,Whats with all the question but the mrs wont talk about hunting anymore so i'm stuck with you lot :laugh:

• Like 1

I was chatting to a guy yesterday and we were talking about the importance of a good whip . A good whip can surely make a bad huntsman look a lot better.

I know, I know ,Whats with all the question but the mrs wont talk about hunting anymore so i'm stuck with you lot :laugh:

A good "whipper in" is worth his/her weight in gold, unfortunatey alot of huntsmen dont appreciate there hard work as they should!!!!

I have got a really good lad who whip's in for me, but by christ he's an ugly bugger :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Huntsman that make too much noise drawing a cover to me shows he either likes the sound of his own voice or his charges need encouraging to draw, yes its fine sometimes if scents bad or it's late on in a blank day, but a good pack should be itching to get to the cover to find there trail & find it on there own, unless there that sharp that the trail layer needs waking up before he gets chopped..Like wise a huntsman that's in a hurry to lift there heads at a check irritates me, for a pack to become quick at correcting at a check they need to do it on there own or they won't learn a thing,A good huntsman should have 100% trust & faith in his pack on all but the worst of days, because the ground work has already been done, nothing or nobody can hunt a line better than a good pack of hounds, don't interfere, leave them to do what there bred for.Another thing that can make or break a huntsman is the staff he has around him.A sure sign of a bad one is one that's alway hoping his phone or radio will find a trail for him..The love of the fox & his cunning should also be up there..Everyone's views are different, there's a name mentioned on here who to me is nothing but a piss head that got carried by his staff & the name he somehow made for himself..

I was chatting to a guy yesterday and we were talking about the importance of a good whip . A good whip can surely make a bad huntsman look a lot better. Do you all think good whips make better huntsmen ? I know, I know ,Whats with all the question but the mrs wont talk about hunting anymore so i'm stuck with you lot :laugh:

Yep they certainly can, like wise a poor whip can make himself, the huntsman & the hounds look bad. A whips job is to be every where & to do everything all at once, I never envy the poor feckers, but those that keep there eyes and ears open & there mouth shut will be on there way to make a good huntsman one day..

Your mrs won't talk about hunting?? Scrap her in for a better model mate :-)

• Like 2

A good "whipper in" is worth his/her weight in gold, unfortunatey alot of huntsmen dont appreciate there hard work as they should!!!!

I have got a really good lad who whip's in for me, but by christ he's an ugly bugger :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh: I heard he's that good looking all the farmers daughters flock just to watch him :laugh::laugh: ........... :whistling:

And. Many. Good huntsmen whips terriermen have breat wives. Behind them

Is that great wives or beat wives :D . i prefer the first. :D

my mrs is a good un. there's not many that would put up with there man leaving the house at 5am on a sunday not answering the phone all day then turning up at 10pm in nothing but a pair of pants soaking wet and looking for food and a warm bath.

she best be reading this :D

• Like 1

. Did you hunt with him a lot or just get toldThat. I am all ways interested in how legends or born and how peoples good names are thrown out there When its usually. Hear say and or just conjecture. , Only my opinion though. Edited by gonetoearth

No iv never hunted with him but a 2 folk I know well & who opinions I trust, did , but I guess that's there opinion & that may differ from others, but there word is good enough for me.

Your right enough about the long suffering & very understanding wives of hunt staff, especially those that don't hunt.

Iv seen a bad whip almost destroy a pack of hounds before the season even started, just on hound exercise. Think he only had 2 days cubbing and became a kennelman!

Again I think it all depends on the country. In some areas a bog standard huntsman and a fantastic whip can provide fantastic sport and is maybe the best combination!. In other areas the weight of the world is on a huntsmans shoulders and his decisions and actions are all that count.

Iv seen a bad whip almost destroy a pack of hounds before the season even started, just on hound exercise. Think he only had 2 days cubbing and became a kennelman!

Again I think it all depends on the country. In some areas a bog standard huntsman and a fantastic whip can provide fantastic sport and is maybe the best combination!. In other areas the weight of the world is on a huntsmans shoulders and his decisions and actions are all that count.

What was he doing so wrong mate ?