New Season In France

This monday, we were 4. My two sons, André and me.
We've gone to a well known place near my kennel. We tried with a young Jack Russell, Hugo, a beginner. After 10 minutes, the dog found an animal. The hunt was moving from one side to another. We begun to dig in order to cut the hunt.
We retrieved Hugo at 11h and tried with an older one. Comète is a parson Jack Russell bitch. She was efficient last year but now she's inconstant. The hunt continued in the same way, from side to side.
At 12h, I retrieved Comète. Then, my oldest jack Russell bitch, Betty was given the job. She hunts closer the badger. The hunt seemed a bit deeper, the badger seemed less mobile.
To be safe concerning my old little Betty, we dug behind the bitch. In the deepest part of the terrier, earth was soft. We heard the badger, it was working down. So we decided to extend the hole (that's the shot). At 17h, 8 or 9 ft deep, we reached Betty. We seen the brave little dog, she was barking and scratching. Badger continued his work. We couldn't see the animal because there's an angle in the tunnel.
We dug a tunnel behind the bitch but earth was too soft, the tunnel began to collapse. So at 18h, we dug another hole, front to the badger. 2 hours later, badger was catched.

Honest answer Blaise,but i will stick with the locator,thats too much diging for an auld lad like me.I do remember pre-locator days,lying on wet ground listening for the terrier or even the slightest bump driving the bar down here,there and everywhere to try and find a mark,back then we had no choice,but now we have so i will not enter a terrier without collar on,terrier still has to find and work its game and it can be a lot deeper now,also the men have to still dig to the dog locator or not,it just makes it safer.

• Like 3

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

We've gone to a well known place near my kennel. We tried with a young Jack Russell, Hugo, a beginner. After 10 minutes, the dog found an animal. The hunt was moving from one side to another. We begun to dig in order to cut the hunt.

We retrieved Hugo at 11h and tried with an older one. Comète is a parson Jack Russell bitch. She was efficient last year but now she's inconstant. The hunt continued in the same way, from side to side.

At 12h, I retrieved Comète. Then, my oldest jack Russell bitch, Betty was given the job. She hunts closer the badger. The hunt seemed a bit deeper, the badger seemed less mobile.

To be safe concerning my old little Betty, we dug behind the bitch. In the deepest part of the terrier, earth was soft. We heard the badger, it was working down. So we decided to extend the hole (that's the shot). At 17h, 8 or 9 ft deep, we reached Betty. We seen the brave little dog, she was barking and scratching. Badger continued his work. We couldn't see the animal because there's an angle in the tunnel.

We dug a tunnel behind the bitch but earth was too soft, the tunnel began to collapse. So at 18h, we dug another hole, front to the badger. 2 hours later, badger was catched.

hi blaise, had a bit of similarly the over, on first outing with a young dog, and a well ready dog, and about five digs under his belt from the othersseason. It or it's was moving from one side to another, and the mark was not good, i coud hear some banging, maybe with a better locater at hand, i wouldn't have to keep movin , any way the mark was a bit strange, the young lad showed at an entrance, he had lost it and had a shit, 2 half hours in. I didn't want to dishearten us, but i took him to the van. I didn't want to, but i let me older one go, i walkedup ssome 20 minutes later and it was on, and it was in a spot I'd hoped to dig the other lad in befor , easier spot, i dug to him in about an hour, no panic. It was scrating and so, but had moved a couple of foot ahead and was down a slope and rocks, in between a gap. I pulled the dog back andccould hear it for a while, digging and that, it was slow, but the had been more than one in there because on the first time with the other lad, he was working up that area, and tube and i coud hear movement from another. Anyway, i left it at that, this time, Atb
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Honest answer Blaise,but i will stick with the locator,thats too much diging for an auld lad like me.I do remember pre-locator days,lying on wet ground listening for the terrier or even the slightest bump driving the bar down here,there and everywhere to try and find a mark,back then we had no choice,but now we have so i will not enter a terrier without collar on,terrier still has to find and work its game and it can be a lot deeper now,also the men have to still dig to the dog locator or not,it just makes it safer.

Sounds like when Badger digging was legal in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England it was done just like it still is in France?

But the consensus seems to be that the French need to change.

• Like 3

Sounds like when Badger digging was legal in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England it was done just like it still is in France?

Would you enter a terrier without locator collar on Bryan,in times past we had no choice,now we do.

Not trying to be a bollocks fat head, but i think blaise and his firm are on the same wave length, thework . Things out togethe ! . Lad's we when out with then and now solo, still have to work things out with a broken branch and ears and sound, and not bar holing like some, all over the set, you moving the game and not the dog. Would we go out with out a locater, no, it usually turned out a must. But saying that time on, again and again, the would have been 30,average, without switch it on or broken, test yoursself. But it could be a useless day without one for sure, a catch 50 '50, situation, where didn't kneed one. But yes a must, but you should know your dog. You got give fair Ness, man, dog, and quarry,

I know! Brilliant, couldnt make it up!

Would you enter a terrier without locator collar on Bryan,in times past we had no choice,now we do.

I did work terriers before locators were available and I wouldn't enter a terrier without a locator collar now as they are a god send.

But I also wouldn't ram my beliefs down anyone else's throat especially when it's the law and embedded in there upbringing and folklore.

We have enough of our own shit to deal with with the anti brigade ramming there beliefs down our throat. Blood starting to boil now so I'll sign off.

• Like 4

If it was only legal to dig to badgers without a locator collar would I do it?

I think I would.

Do I sometimes let a dog run without a collar? Yes a few times a season.

I've hunted in France, they do things so differently there it's hard to even imagine. Their hunting culture is completely different to ours. There's no way we'd do many things they do.

But they can legally do so many thing that we can't that I didn't feel in a postion to tell them they were wrong.

• Like 5

Not trying to be a bollocks fat head, but i think blaise and his firm are on the same wave length, thework . Things out togethe ! . Lad's we when out with then and now solo, still have to work things out with a broken branch and ears and sound, and not bar holing like some, all over the set, you moving the game and not the dog. Would we go out with out a locater, no, it usually turned out a must. But saying that time on, again and again, the would have been 30,average, without switch it on or broken, test yoursself. But it could be a useless day without one for sure, a catch 50 '50, situation, where didn't kneed one. But yes a must, but you should know your dog. You got give fair Ness, man, dog, and quarry,

How you know ive a fat head,lol,all im saying is its a hell of a lot safer on the terrier if its got a collar on and saves a lot of diging holes here there and all over the shop destroying earths and using 2-3 dogs in the process.Im not knocking the way Blaise goes about his buisness,its there culture and way of doing things and its illigal to use a locator for some stupid reason in his country,but we are always on here about respect for terriers and quarry,well imo there is no respect shown for either in the ways they go about it.I have dug to terriers a good few years pre-locator but times moved on and they invented the locator,now i would not be without,i would like to think i could still find a dog if something went wrong[collar failure,battery failure whatever] how many dogs were lost pre-locator compared to now and look at the earths that can be done with success now compared to back then no matter how good your sounders were a lot of places were given a wide berth where as now a terrier can be entered,as said not knocking his way of hunting every man to his own and i also like reading his write ups,best of luck to him.

• Like 3

I did work terriers before locators were available and I wouldn't enter a terrier without a locator collar now as they are a god send.

But I also wouldn't ram my beliefs down anyone else's throat especially when it's the law and embedded in there upbringing and folklore.

We have enough of our own shit to deal with with the anti brigade ramming there beliefs down our throat. Blood starting to boil now so I'll sign off.

KBS,your blood can boil any way it likes and im not ramming anything down anyones throath,im entitled to my opinion same as you and everyone else and if Blaise does a write up on an open forum then he is going to be critisied same as everyone else that posts.My idea of terrier work may differ from yours but diging holes all over the place and using 2-3 terriers to get the game imo is not the best advertisment as regards terrier work.

• Like 2

Not sticking me nose in on blaise, but he come unstuck with some dog's the way the went maybe, he said that himself, but themselves arnt at all like some of the ( c,, nts) bad ones I've seen work terriers, in your country especially, the out there. END OF.

Not sticking me nose in on blaise, but he come unstuck with some dog's the way the went maybe, he said that himself, but themselves arnt at all like some of the ( c,, nts) bad ones I've seen work terriers, in your country especially, the out there. END OF.

Fully agree Pablo,there will be pricks in every type of sport from hunting to fishing to different types of ball game.Blaise loves what he does and fair play to him ,at least he is out doing a bit and not just talking about it like a lot of lads do,as i have already stated,if thats the way he wants to conduct his buisness then crack on,just not the way i would go about it.I reckon that he would actually ruin the makings of a good earth dog when young by sticking it in a place with no collar on and the dog then has to do a hell of a lot more time in the ground than should be required of a young terrier,especially with the game he is diging,my moto is when young keep it simple and keep them winning then 2nd season they can be tested,jmho.

• Like 6

KBS,your blood can boil any way it likes and im not ramming anything down anyones throath,im entitled to my opinion same as you and everyone else and if Blaise does a write up on an open forum then he is going to be critisied same as everyone else that posts.My idea of terrier work may differ from yours but diging holes all over the place and using 2-3 terriers to get the game imo is not the best advertisment as regards terrier work.

PISHING MYSELF LAUGHING.

• Like 1