What's Eaten My Eggs

Went to get the eggs today and in the nest box was a little bit of egg but no shell. The noticed on the floor of the coup near the entrance an eggshell split in half then on the ground a couple of feet away another egg with a hole in the side about the size of a 10 pence and the contents gone.

The 2 culprits I thought of as I've seen them knocking round are magpie or squirrel. I don't think a magpie would gon in the coop though and drag the eggs out. Any thoughts ?

Bell

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If its anything like my mystery egg thief, it`ll be a maggie. I left 3 eggs on the garden table, and carried on with the rest of the duties. I forgot about the eggs, and when I went out there at lunch

perhaps one of the chickens is the culprit,common enough to end up with an egg eater amongst them and a b*****d to stop once they got the taste for it although there are few methods you can try to put

Untill a few weeks ago I would have suggested the pot as well. But, We tried filling some eggshells with Mustard, cayenne pepper and anything 'hot' from the kitchen cupboard.   We instantly went

If its anything like my mystery egg thief, it`ll be a maggie. I left 3 eggs on the garden table, and carried on with the rest of the duties. I forgot about the eggs, and when I went out there at lunch, two eggs were completely gone with no trace and the 3rd was pecked open...

A little later I went outside and seen a maggie sat on one of my sheds, and I`ve never seen any crows in the garden. So I thought right, I`m gonna have you. I went down the garden armed with 3 banty eggs and a handful of chopped straw and made a nest, put 2 eggs in whole and broke the 3rd to expose the bright yolk and ran indoors to open the kitchen window and ready the air rifle. After a few minutes and no corvids about, I thought, it`ll take a while to get spotted, then for them to have the courage to come down, so I went and sat in the front room... Half hour later, I`d been robbed... :laugh:

Not trace of the whole eggs and the broken one looked untouched.. Im gonna be waiting in the morning as it wont be long before the black and white shite will be in my coop.

• Like 1

If it happened during the night then ill say rat.... If it happened during the day ill go for magpie/crow.

If it happened during the night then ill say rat.... If it happened during the day ill go for magpie/crow.[/quote

Middle of the day but I would,nt have thought a magpie would have gone into the nest box.

perhaps one of the chickens is the culprit,common enough to end up with an egg eater amongst them and a b*****d to stop once they got the taste for it although there are few methods you can try to put a stop to it.

Edited by hunter1372
  • Like 1

How many eggs were there ?

How many chickens you got in the coop ?

I would be looking at one of your chickens as a possible culprit.

Sometimes a chicken will accidentally break an egg, taste it and like it. Then they'll eat every egg they can.

perhaps one of the chickens is the culprit,common enough to end up with an egg eater amongst them and a b*****d to stop once they got the taste for it although there are few methods you can try to put a stop to it.

eat the fooker :laugh: :laugh: