What's Eaten My Eggs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If its anything like my mystery egg thief, it`ll be a maggie. I left 3 eggs on the garden table, and carried on with the rest of the duties. I forgot about the eggs, and when I went out there at lunch

perhaps one of the chickens is the culprit,common enough to end up with an egg eater amongst them and a b*****d to stop once they got the taste for it although there are few methods you can try to put

Untill a few weeks ago I would have suggested the pot as well. But, We tried filling some eggshells with Mustard, cayenne pepper and anything 'hot' from the kitchen cupboard.   We instantly went

perhaps one of the chickens is the culprit,common enough to end up with an egg eater amongst them and a b*****d to stop once they got the taste for it although there are few methods you can try to put a stop to it.

eat the fooker :laugh: :laugh:

yes that is the preferred method as all the tips i was given to stop it failed miserably :D

perhaps one of the chickens is the culprit,common enough to end up with an egg eater amongst them and a b*****d to stop once they got the taste for it although there are few methods you can try to put a stop to it.

yes that is the preferred method as all the tips i was given to stop it failed miserably :D

Untill a few weeks ago I would have suggested the pot as well. :yes: But,

We tried filling some eggshells with Mustard, cayenne pepper and anything 'hot' from the kitchen cupboard.

We instantly went up to 6 eggs the next day, then 3 days later 10 out of our 10 hens! :boogy:

Now we are consistantly getting 7 or 8 a day, so think we've 'cured' it!

Wouldn't have believed it if I had been told about it, but it worked for us :thumbs:

• Like 1

We tried filling some eggshells with Mustard, cayenne pepper and anything 'hot' from the kitchen cupboard.

We instantly went up to 6 eggs the next day, then 3 days later 10 out of our 10 hens! :boogy:

Wouldn't have believed it if I had been told about it, but it worked for us :thumbs:

fair play but to be honest i was already fed up with it,if id stuck it out that would have been my next move,china eggs and blacking out the nest boxes was waste of time glad you sorted it :thumbs:

fair play but to be honest i was already fed up with it,if id stuck it out that would have been my next move,china eggs and blacking out the nest boxes was waste of time glad you sorted it :thumbs:

I was surprised it worked....but it seems to have done the trick!

Next step was to clear space in the freezer, but that has been avoided.....for now.

If it happened during the night then ill say rat.... If it happened during the day ill go for magpie/crow.[/quote

Middle of the day but I would,nt have thought a magpie would have gone into the nest box.

It's amazing how intelligent they are but it is quite strange. There very cautious and don't often go places where they can't see all around them but I have had a crow go inside one of my sheds and kill quite a few young pheasants. It popped in a small hole in the net and went on its jollies staving all there wee heads in. I luckily had the pleasure of returning the favour..:-)

If its a rat then I'd imagine there will be some kind of run on the way to your coop unless its just turned up...?

I fancy it is a magpie :hmm: , we had one that came in through the stable door of the hen cabin and would eat the eggs out of the tray, so we started boxing them up, it then proceeded to pull the boxes apart to get at them, so now we just move them :thumbs:

Next step was to clear space in the freezer, but that has been avoided.....for now.

Surprised that worked as birds can't taste hot or spicey foods .........

• Like 1

Is that a defo mate....i'm sure they can taste somehow. Watch when you spray some teramycin on a bird and watch another one go peck it......it can taste that anyway!!... :yes:

its regularly mentioned on the poultry forum to try this trick so im guessing the answers yes cheers

A well known top tip for stopping squirrels stealing your bird food is to sprinkle curry powder or chilli over the seed as the birds can't taste it but the squirrel can ???????

Ive done mustar egg's before the hen was running around with its beak open gasping unless it was a tandori chicken :laugh: