How do you do it? Naturally? Or as proscribed? I found out, only last week, that I've begun to slip back into a natural sleep pattern. It fascinates me.

See, I read this article ~ BBC or something ~ about sleep. And how this 'solid eight hours of uninterrupted sleep' thing is a load of old bollocks. Or, rather, new bollocks.

Fact is, that was probably foisted upon us by the government, along with the Industrial Revolution. Simply a way of ensuring the workers lives were regulated to best suit the owners. Like pub closing times. No rhyme or reason to it. Just control.

Anyway, it seems, since the dawn of time, man has always (naturally) slept twice in a night. We'd have our first sleep. Wake up. Become fully lucid and functional. Do a bit of something or other. Then get back down for our second sleep. How about that?

And this is recorded, down through time. References all over the place, in literature. It's like women being laid on their backs to give birth. Totally unnatural. So is a solid block of sleep. We force this programming on ourselves.

I'm long since retired now. I can sleep when ever I choose. And that's how I came to realise I was sleeping twice. I'd go abed. Fall asleep. Then, I'd wake up. Fully awake. Totally aware. I'd have a good think on things. Get anything sorted out in my head. Check my phone for messages. What ever.

Then, satisfied that I'd done, I'd very deliberately roll over and go spark out for my second bout of kip. I always called this my 'REM Sleep'. Because this was the session where I'd more likely dream.

And I thought this was just an aberration. That I'd fallen into some 'bad' habit. That I was lazy for going back to sleep. Turns out, I've simply reverted to the natural pattern of the human animal.

How about that? :good:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly, Malt! (Brilliant article, by the way, isn't it?) I was talking to a mate about this only yesterday. As he said; 'Look at the livestock on the fields. Some will be laid down, having a kip, wh

Fell asleep a little later than usual last night, but been awake since 3.30 thinking about this thread.   TC

I can sleep in broad day light, always been able to sleep when ever i feel like it. Pisses the wife right off, as she struggles to sleep, and if she is woken, she can't get back to sleep.

When I get my head down, I sleep..

Feck waking up checking phone.. :laugh:

My sleep patterns smashed at times with lamping and shift patterns..

I can sleep when I am tired but find myself having plenty late nights in summer months..

How do you do it? Naturally? Or as proscribed? I found out, only last week, that I've begun to slip back into a natural sleep pattern. It fascinates me.

See, I read this article ~ BBC or something ~ about sleep. And how this 'solid eight hours of uninterrupted sleep' thing is a load of old bollocks. Or, rather, new bollocks.

Fact is, that was probably foisted upon us by the government, along with the Industrial Revolution. Simply a way of ensuring the workers lives were regulated to best suit the owners. Like pub closing times. No rhyme or reason to it. Just control.

Anyway, it seems, since the dawn of time, man has always (naturally) slept twice in a night. We'd have our first sleep. Wake up. Become fully lucid and functional. Do a bit of something or other. Then get back down for our second sleep. How about that?

And this is recorded, down through time. References all over the place, in literature. It's like women being laid on their backs to give birth. Totally unnatural. So is a solid block of sleep. We force this programming on ourselves.

I'm long since retired now. I can sleep when ever I choose. And that's how I came to realise I was sleeping twice. I'd go abed. Fall asleep. Then, I'd wake up. Fully awake. Totally aware. I'd have a good think on things. Get anything sorted out in my head. Check my phone for messages. What ever.

Then, satisfied that I'd done, I'd very deliberately roll over and go spark out for my second bout of kip. I always called this my 'REM Sleep'. Because this was the session where I'd more likely dream.

And I thought this was just an aberration. That I'd fallen into some 'bad' habit. That I was lazy for going back to sleep. Turns out, I've simply reverted to the natural pattern of the human animal.

How about that? :good:

If you don't go to sleep its impossible to wake up and if you don't wake up your fooked :icon_eek:

I have a real shit sleep pattern ... I suffer from insomnia as I fall straight into REM sleep when I go to sleep .... So I go to bed knackered and fall straight to sleep but within an hour or two I have fallen straight into REM sleep have a dream wake up and my brain is convinced that I have slept all night and I then end up wide awake ... It's a fooking nightmare .........

Feck waking up checking phone.. :laugh:

:laugh: It's true though! This article cited historical references from all over. Seems it was once the perfect norm. People would wake up. Maybe have sex. Read. Play a bit of music. What ever. Then, after a bit, they'd very deliberately and naturally shut themselves down and have what was always simply known as " Their Second Sleep ".

I'm absolutely enthralled by it. Because, had I not just happened across this article, I'd have felt guilty for being a 'lazy bast@rd' and probably would have ended up asking for sleeping pills :icon_eek:

How f**ked up is That?!

I thought rem sleep was the good sleep,,if you get my drift,, dont you only sleep in rem for a couple of hours,, and if i remember correct its rem, when your pertuity gland releases growth hormone,,to repair your body.

im shure i read somwhere that two sleeps a day ,,,like they do abroad having a ceesta,, is the way to have the best type of sleep...

intresting subject,,, ile have to google now ,,,lol

I thought rem sleep was the good sleep,,if you get my drift,, dont you only sleep in rem for a couple of hours,, and if i remember correct its rem, when your pertuity gland releases growth hormone,,to repair your body.

im shure i read somwhere that two sleeps a day ,,,like they do abroad having a ceesta,, is the way to have the best type of sleep...

You go through 5 phases of sleep with REM being the last which tells your brain its time to wake ... I skip the first four and go straight to REM sleep so i can dream wake within 90 minuets of going to bed and my brain is convinced I have slept all night and makes me wide awake with no chance of going back to sleep .........

I can sleep in broad day light, always been able to sleep when ever i feel like it.

Pisses the wife right off, as she struggles to sleep, and if she is woken, she can't get back to sleep.

• Like 2

I sleep when I am tired - whenever that is - day time, night time, in bed, on the sofa etc. I work nights, so being awake at night is not unusual, but if I don't feel tired, I don't see the point in going to bed and laying awake. Once I feel tired, and I hit the bed, I am out in seconds though, and won't wake til I am ready - that maybe 2 hours, maybe 5 hours - never more than 5 in a row though.

You go through 5 phases of sleep with REM being the last which tells your brain its time to wake ... I skip the first four and go straight to REM sleep so i can dream wake within 90 minuets of going to bed and my brain is convinced I have slept all night and makes me wide awake with no chance of going back to sleep .........

thats just how i am ,

I read that article a while back, it makes sense. :yes: For a large part of our existence on this planet, shutting your body down for such a long time wouldn't have been ideal when you had to make sure you don't get eaten by a wild animal! :laugh: They reckon a young kids afternoon nap is a carry over from this, they only really stop when they go to school or the parent makes a decision to stop them doing so..

I read that article a while back, it makes sense. :yes: For a large part of our existence on this planet, shutting your body down for such a long time wouldn't have been ideal when you had to make sure you don't get eaten by a wild animal! :laugh:

Exactly, Malt! (Brilliant article, by the way, isn't it?) I was talking to a mate about this only yesterday. As he said; 'Look at the livestock on the fields. Some will be laid down, having a kip, while others are up and about. But, we never see a field full of sleeping cows or sheep.'

Indeed, as any burglar will tell you; 3 - 4am in the best time for Those 'modern day predators' to work. Because Joe Average is at his deepest point of sleep just then.

It's all just unnaturally enforced behaviour. Sheep don't do it. Only sheeple.

• Like 4