Recommend An Angling Book.

Good stuff mate, just back from float fishing with my little lad......he was casting, putting the maggots on, unhooking perch and roach......the whole works

Had a robin feeding off his leg and a Canada goose bite his finger ! Lol......great stuff for a 5 year old lad

All the best to all you lads who " feel" it ;)

That's the way Wilf, my lads 7 now my girls 5, I'm worried there will never be a peaceful fishing trip again lol... I love that enthusiasum they have though, you can easily forget how simple fishing should and can be, fortunately the kids soon remind you... A 2oz roach is greeted like a 20lb carp by a 7 year old lol..

i'm looking forward to a few fishing trips when my little un gets a bit older. your right that's what it's all about

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great old stories lads, it's nice most of us fishermen remember the old ways as our favourite, and I think most of us revert back to that eventually as well..   " learn to fish like Uncle Bill"

That's the way Wilf, my lads 7 now my girls 5, I'm worried there will never be a peaceful fishing trip again lol... I love that enthusiasum they have though, you can easily forget how simple fishing s

I feel the same about carp fishing mate. it's a shame really because there nothing quite like a summers evening stalking a few out. I just hope it will lose it's draw to the idiots so it's easier for

Posted Images

I'm been fishing a couple of swims i've found on a canal and all i see is the odd dog walker,there are miles of water just left alone and hardly fished, once i started regular baiting in a few likely looking swims they started to produce, it was hard work at first for little effort but it is starting to come good, nothing fancy, basic rigs and basic baits, mainly hemp, corn, groats, luncheon meat, maggots, bread and a few pellets, not all at once but keep swapping them around, and no-one about to see me baiting my swims up and jumping in them, i'm enjoying my fishing again as i was getting fed up of the crowds.

• Like 3

Some of my favourite fishing books are by John Darling. 'Bass Fishing- On Shore or Sea" is one of the bass classics, and i found it as good if not better than Thrussels and Ladle / Vaughn's, (which i have also read and are both excellent). If you have not read "Shore Fishing" by Darling, it is definately a must for any sea fisherman. In my opinion the finest book written on uk sea fishing. And as you reside in Gods country, the two by Anthony Pearson, "Successful Shore Fishing", and "Fishing North Wales" (or something like that- I have lent it out and its not to hand) are also very good, but dated (1950's/60's). Gammons "Guide to Angling in Wales" is ok for marks etc and cheap as chips on ebay, but i wouldn't class it as a classic by any means. His "A Tide of Fishes", however is supposed to be very good, but i have not read it. Gaz

Edited by gazjon5

I'm been fishing a couple of swims i've found on a canal and all i see is the odd dog walker,there are miles of water just left alone and hardly fished, once i started regular baiting in a few likely looking swims they started to produce, it was hard work at first for little effort but it is starting to come good, nothing fancy, basic rigs and basic baits, mainly hemp, corn, groats, luncheon meat, maggots, bread and a few pellets, not all at once but keep swapping them around, and no-one about to see me baiting my swims up and jumping in them, i'm enjoying my fishing again as i was getting fed up of the crowds.

Our local canal has changed a lot over the years, it's very deep for a canal ( over 12ft in places) and wide, it's not like your traditional cut.. It was made because of a dispute between Exeter and Topsham over the shipping up the river Exe, Eventually ( not sure on dates but quite a few hundred years back lol) a weir was formed up the river to stop all shipping into Exeter, forcing all ships to stop in Topsham ( where my mother was born), the weir was named countess weir after the countess of Devon, the area near the weir is called Countess Wear and that's where I was born and bred lol...

This forced The building of the ship canal and this is how all the trade got up and into Exeter ( bearing in mind 100's of years ago Exeter was a big quay) so the canal had to be deep and wide..

Well when I fished the canal a lot it had 1 " ship" left that used it regularly and that was the sewage boat, it would take the sewage load up tr canal to dump at sea everyday, this helped keep the weed back, turn the silt over and you could guarantee as soon as it went through your swim the skimmers and bream would turn on like a light.. The boat doesn't work anymore and in place the canal is choked in weed, and I don't know what happened to all the skimmers there were thousands, but not hand sized things you catch them from a pound up to just turning to bream, there were loads of bream too and this was our main target... Now the main areas are fished by carp anglers ( there's some huge carp in the canal a couple over 30 have been taken, the lad who I talked about in my early post about plumbing the river caught the. 20 years ago with another bloke I know but kept it very quiet lol)... Now to fish some of my favourite stretches you need to take a rake to it the night before to clear a swim, there's some big tench and still a lot of roach so I might put the effort in this year as this thread has had my head going down memory lane and I quite fancy taking my lad to the place where it all started for me...

• Like 3

Over the years I have collected dozens of fishing books. Out of those books there are only three I would recommend.

My Way With Trout. by Arthur Cove.

Fishing for Bass. Strategy & Confidence. by Mike Thrussell

Sea Trout Fishing. by Hugh Falkus

Those three books changed the way I thought about fishing in such a positive way. They enabled me to become a better angler.

What books would you recommend to anyone?

TC

This is a good read tc http://www.anglersbookcase.com/

Made up of various articles from the magazine. More than welcome to have a lend next time I see you

• Like 1

"The Peoples Champion" A book about Ivan Marks' articles written in the Angling Times is a good read, especially if like me, you can remember most of them the first time around. ;)

A boyhood hero of mine. Used to go and watch him fish matches on the Soar from time to time, even got to carry his kit once. :boogy: I spoke to him not that long before he passed away. I was on a match on the Loughborough canal and he stopped and asked how I was doing. I was doing sh*t, but he made my day.

As regards the Carp boon. My mate fishes at Bluebell lake in Northants, his PB is a 42lb 8oz English Common. Ask him to set a waggler or a stick up and he wouldn't even know where to start. :yes:

• Like 3

"The Peoples Champion" A book about Ivan Marks' articles written in the Angling Times is a good read, especially if like me, you can remember most of them the first time around. ;)

A boyhood hero of mine. Used to go and watch him fish matches on the Soar from time to time, even got to carry his kit once. :boogy: I spoke to him not that long before he passed away. I was on a match on the Loughborough canal and he stopped and asked how I was doing. I was doing sh*t, but he made my day.

As regards the Carp boon. My mate fishes at Bluebell lake in Northants, his PB is a 42lb 8oz English Common. Ask him to set a waggler or a stick up and he wouldn't even know where to start. :yes:

Fair one mate, blokes like Ivan Marks, benny & Kevin ashhurst, Dennis white, cleggy had real angling skill......not really followed the match scene for years but I would say they were more skilful anglers than the ones you see sat round those god awful carp puddles these days.......fishing one of those places would hold no enjoyment for me at all.........

• Like 3

Fair one mate, blokes like Ivan Marks, benny & Kevin ashhurst, Dennis white, cleggy had real angling skill......not really followed the match scene for years but I would say they were more skilful anglers than the ones you see sat round those god awful carp puddles these days.......fishing one of those places would hold no enjoyment for me at all.........

I tried it 3 years ago. Spent 4 days at Bluebell with my mate and borrowed kit. 10 anglers on the lake, 4 days. 1 fish. (Not mine) Cast out last thing at night and once again in the morning. Drank lots of Tea. Iv'e not bothered again.

The match scene is gone mate. You've got one venue guys winning loads of matches on holes in the ground who couldn't hold a candle to some of the greats of match fishing scene from the 80s 90s and 2000s. Shame really.

A old mate I used to fish matches with drew next to Kevin Ashurst twice in 2 weeks on the Bridgewater canal. He told Kevin "This must be a good area if you've drawn here" I think my mate blanked. :laugh:

• Like 2

Your right about the match scene mate, I read the local paper tonight the club match last weekend was on the canal it attracted 16 anglers was won with around 5lb ( roach and a tench) an old mate of mind won it, but the whole page was dedicated to the local carp puddle, Creedy Lake, with 2 big pics of 20+ carp and and paragraphs on what had been pulled out in the week..

An old family friend ( Paul Marks) wrote the angling pages for our paper for years, he was a good match angler ( his dad, my best mates grandad, used to give us maggots as kids to go on the canal. We used to turn up at his house on the scav and he'd always give us half a pint lol, he also showed me how to fish hemp and tares for the roach, but I couldn't never catch like him at it RIP Roy Marks, top old boy), well Paul would maybe put a side note about the carp but Jesus his match write up we're unreal, after a match he'd interview you " what hook, bait, float,line.. How many in the first hour" etc lol... I loved his write ups and The Echo on a Thursday was a must buy... He lost his daughter ( a good friend of mine and one of my good mates partner) at 30 years old through a brain tumour, he stopped his write ups and I'm not sure how much he fishes now, but he would never have liked the puddles...

I've loved this thread it reminds me of so many good things ( and sad) its really nice a fair few lads still feel the same way about fishing...

I don't know how to organise it but a THL comp for charity would be a great day out, we could do it somewhere central, preferably a river.. Like I say no idea how to organise it but with a bit if thought could be great.. Don't matter about winning or catching just a day out and a laugh and winnings go to the chosen charity, ???

• Like 2

If there was enough interest im sure I could organise summat. The Trent in the middle of Nottingham is free fishing (Victoria embankment) It used to be cock on, not sure what it fishes like now. Just organise a date and if no one turns up, nothing lost.

• Like 2

Nottingham would be good, you couldn't get any more central... Only fished the Trent once around Nottingham somewhere?, a quick evening session on one of my travels.... Had a nice few hours catching roach and a nice sized bream that was around 15 years ago now lol

Maybe late summer would be good? End of August early sept... I'd be up for it..

• Like 1