Recommend An Angling Book.

Over the years I have collected dozens of fishing books. Out of those books there are only three I would recommend.

My Way With Trout. by Arthur Cove.

Fishing for Bass. Strategy & Confidence. by Mike Thrussell

Sea Trout Fishing. by Hugh Falkus

Those three books changed the way I thought about fishing in such a positive way. They enabled me to become a better angler.

What books would you recommend to anyone?

TC

Edited by tiercel

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great old stories lads, it's nice most of us fishermen remember the old ways as our favourite, and I think most of us revert back to that eventually as well..   " learn to fish like Uncle Bill"

That's the way Wilf, my lads 7 now my girls 5, I'm worried there will never be a peaceful fishing trip again lol... I love that enthusiasum they have though, you can easily forget how simple fishing s

I feel the same about carp fishing mate. it's a shame really because there nothing quite like a summers evening stalking a few out. I just hope it will lose it's draw to the idiots so it's easier for

Posted Images

But have you got fly fishing by J R Hartley :laugh: The hunting gene by Robin Page is some book,written in support of countrysports unbiased as it is written by a farmer/conservationist,who does'nt hunt,shoot or fish,but has an unlimited knowledge of what country life and living is all about

But have you got fly fishing by J R Hartley :laugh: The hunting gene by Robin Page is some book,written in support of countrysports unbiased as it is written by a farmer/conservationist,who does'nt hunt,shoot or fish,but has an unlimited knowledge of what country life and living is all about

Yep :yes: A vastly over rated book IMHO there is bugger all in it :laugh:

post-20736-0-05359700-1367658267.jpg

I have read the hunting gene many years ago. A great book. :thumbs:

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

TNT for beginers or nets for salmon 2000 :laugh::laugh::laugh:

i was given a very old encyclopedia of fishing many moons ago off my grandfather although it's out dated by many modern methods i still learnt alot.

i know it's a little off thread but the programe A PASSION FOR ANGLING really gave me the bug. If i watched it today i'd have to go fishing tommorrow.

• Like 1

Dream Fishing by Trevor Housby, that man lived the dream he fished all over the world for everything from trout to marlin...

One chapter he was dropped off on an air strip in Mexico waiting for a connecting flight to his fishing destination , he had limited gear with him and a bit of bait, he spent the few hours on the beach beside the air field... He waded out to cast and sat back on the beach and waited, after a few hours a spinner shark took his bait and he managed to beach it... Then he caught his flight to go tarpon fishing, somewhere desolate in mangrove swamps... He paints the picture

• Like 1

I bought the kids an old copy of ' fishing with terry and son' haha more a comic than a book but the kids loved it an wanted to try diffrent methods after it. So it was a few quid well spent in my eyes

Redmire-Chris Yates Carp Fever -Kevin Maddox or Rod Hutchinson :hmm: Pike Fishing in the Eighties-Neville Fickling,failing that ,anything by Fred J Taylor RIP :cray:

Have you read country hearts by fred j.taylor NL. A cracking read about different people he has fished with home and abroad .Hugh Falkus,Richard Walker to name a few. Also characters in the rabbiting game.Well worth a read. :thumbs:

Redmire-Chris Yates Carp Fever -Kevin Maddox or Rod Hutchinson :hmm: Pike Fishing in the Eighties-Neville Fickling,failing that ,anything by Fred J Taylor RIP :cray:

Have you read country hearts by fred j.taylor NL. A cracking read about different people he has fished with home and abroad .Hugh Falkus,Richard Walker to name a few. Also characters in the rabbiting game.Well worth a read. :thumbs:

I have read it Darbo,cracking read :yes: got a few of his hear,his ferreting books very good too,I think he deserves a lot of credit for his input into angling/hunting.Was ahead of his time with a lot of his coarse fishing theories,ie tench and carp fishing,Dick Walker seems to be widely accepted as the pioneer of carp fishing,Fred was heavily involved in this and deserves more acknowledgement in my eyes,not that he cared ,one of best things about the man was that he never felt the need to compete with other anglers/hunters in anything other than a "fun"way.His ferreting guide would also stand up to scrutiny today(barring ferret finders)he was feeding meat and keeping them in courts decades ago ,when bread and milk and filthy cramped hutches were the order of the day :bad: A true countryman,in eveyway :yes:

• Like 2

I have read it Darbo,cracking read :yes: got a few of his hear,his ferreting books very good too,I think he deserves a lot of credit for his input into angling/hunting.Was ahead of his time with a lot of his coarse fishing theories,ie tench and carp fishing,Dick Walker seems to be widely accepted as the pioneer of carp fishing,Fred was heavily involved in this and deserves more acknowledgement in my eyes,not that he cared ,one of best things about the man was that he never felt the need to compete with other anglers/hunters in anything other than a "fun"way.His ferreting guide would also stand up to scrutiny today(barring ferret finders)he was feeding meat and keeping them in courts decades ago ,when bread and milk and filthy cramped hutches were the order of the day :bad: A true countryman,in eveyway :yes:

very well put NL i cant add anything else you have said it all. i have a few of his books enjoyed them very much. my fav all time ferreting book is by fred. the shooting times guide to ferreting by fred j taylor. :thumbs:

I grew up reading Fred Taylor in the Shooting Times. 2/3p back in 1969 went up to 2/6 in 1970. I met him twice when he became the president of The Hawking Club. Once at a Merlin field meet and the other time was a barbeque on a fishing like, where he showed us how to cook trout the Inuit Indian way. The man was a legand and to meet him was one of my lifes ambitions and sporting highlights.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2